Dragging home a damaged airplane...

Old February 16th 05, 05:57 PM
Blueskies

Default Dragging home a damaged airplane...

Has anyone here put a plane on a trailer and brought it home? I found an old Cardinal that I want to salvage parts from,
but I would need to tow it miles and miles to get it home. Any suggestions about type of trailer, methods of tiedown,
etc. The wings and tail are already removed...

Thanks!

Dan

Old February 16th 05, 06:59 PM
Frank van der Hulst

Blueskies wrote:
Has anyone here put a plane on a trailer and brought it home? I found an old Cardinal that I want to salvage parts from,
but I would need to tow it miles and miles to get it home. Any suggestions about type of trailer, methods of tiedown,
etc. The wings and tail are already removed...

I paid a furniture removal firm to shift the microlight project I bought
-- it was about 6 hours drive from home. The seller wrapped everything
in bubblewrap, and there were no problems at all.

Frank
Old February 16th 05, 07:27 PM
Ron Natalie

Frank van der Hulst wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Has anyone here put a plane on a trailer and brought it home? I found
an old Cardinal that I want to salvage parts from, but I would need to
tow it miles and miles to get it home. Any suggestions about type of
trailer, methods of tiedown, etc. The wings and tail are already
removed...

=
I trailered my Navion out to Nebraska. I just mounted it on a flatbed
trailer. I had a crib that held the fuselage (via the holes for the
wing attachment) and two saddles to hold the wings.
Old February 16th 05, 08:53 PM
abripl

I made a flat bed trailer from a small 8x4 trailer and lenghtened it to
tow my kit
plane home: see it at http://www.abri.com/sq2000/itemsale.html
about the 5th photo down. The trailer original cost was about $200 plus
extra
metal to lengthen it. If you are handy with welding you could probably
make
something similar.

Old February 16th 05, 11:53 PM
RST Engineering

You can get junked mobilehome frames from a lot of trailer repair
places...you only want the frame. You can cart anything up to about a 210
with the wings off on one of these suckers, they come with hydraulic assist
or electric assist brakes, and are built like a shick brithouse.

Jim

Old February 17th 05, 12:16 AM
COLIN LAMB

Sailplane pilots have long trailers around and are often strapped for money
so will rent you one. Any flatbed will work as it can be cinched down with
straps (which are cheap to buy). A heavy equipment trailer will also work.

Remember to pick friends who have equipment hauling resources.

Remember that the Cardinal does not weigh much in the world of hauling.

Colin

---

Old February 17th 05, 01:45 AM
Blueskies

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message nk.net...
Sailplane pilots have long trailers around and are often strapped for money
so will rent you one. Any flatbed will work as it can be cinched down with
straps (which are cheap to buy). A heavy equipment trailer will also work.

Remember to pick friends who have equipment hauling resources.

Remember that the Cardinal does not weigh much in the world of hauling.

Colin

---

Yup, 1600 lbs or so, but pretty long.

Thanks for the ideas all!

Old February 17th 05, 02:09 AM
Cy Galley

Check around for an open Car trailer. They are in use by antique car buffs
and hot-rodder around the country. But the junked house trailer frames are
even larger. Both have more than enough capacity.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair
. com...

Old February 17th 05, 03:10 AM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
You can get junked mobilehome frames from a lot of trailer repair
places...you only want the frame. You can cart anything up to about a 210
with the wings off on one of these suckers, they come with hydraulic

assist
or electric assist brakes, and are built like a shick brithouse.

Jim

Aren't the axles so wide(over 10 feet), that you need oversize load permits?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 17th 05, 03:56 AM
COLIN LAMB

Actually, he may have meant the junked travel trailers. The frames are
great for hauling stuff like this - and you can get the old travel trailers
for the haul away. Just drive around till you find one that is in the back
with weeds coming through the siding.

They get dry rot and people take them apart and see the mess and abandon
them, thinking their kids will address it after they die. You can save them
a lot of worry by hauling it away.

Just make sure no one is living in it. You will no doubt find a small
community of little critters, so they will have to find a new home. Make
sure you do not work on this in front of your house with the garage open.

Colin N12HS

---