No more "Left Downwind"?

Old September 3rd 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default No more "Left Downwind"?

Jon Kraus wrote:
Why? That is where all the pilots (and hence all the fun is)...

Speaking of clogging up the frequency... I was 15 out from Nappanee
(C02) Indiana trying to announce my arrival when I hear someone on the
frequency describing to someone else, what they did the previous
weekend, in minute detail... I swear the frequency was taking up by this
guy for 5 minutes straight... When he finished his diatribe I barely had
the time to announce my plans...

That was the first time I have ever heard this kind of frequency robbing
inconsiderateness... I swear it was like listening to some ham radio
operator with a bad case of verbal diarrhea...

The biggest offender I've ever noticed is MCX. I don't know who they
share the CTAF with, but I swear I used to know everyone's weekend plans
in central Indiana. NONE OF US CARE!!!
Old September 3rd 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

Larry Dighera wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 23:59:27 -0700, "cjcampbell"
wrote in
.com:

I must have missed something, not flying for awhile. How was "Any other
traffic please advise" specifically prohibited?

It was reported recently in this newsgroup:

From: Kris Kortokrax
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: Any traffic please advise
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:05:57 GMT

Just received the following from the FAA Designee Notification system.
Checked out the AIM on the FAA web site and the wording is included.

Thanks. Current copies of AIM are a little difficult to come by here in
the Philippines.

Looks like I have a little reading to catch up on if I am thinking of
instructing again.

Old September 3rd 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Stefan" wrote in message
. ..

Maybe they are doing a last check of the runway alignement?

That wouldn't require them to stop.

Old September 3rd 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Draper

IMHO, saying "left downwind" is clear, concise, and -- most
importantly --

Jay:

There is a larger issue here. If you buy into the idea that we should
minimize the length of our transmissions, the only means to do this is
to track down each unnecessary word and eliminate it. Each word by
itself is almost insignificant, but if you let this consideration sway
you, you would end up eliminating nothing.

Similar to when you're dieting. When confronted with a Twinkie, it's
easy to say "It's only 200 calories", but when you give in on this
Twinkie, you're likely to give in on them all.

So I say eliminate the "left/right" thing as an exercise of
self-discipline.

What I would most like to see eliminated, however, is "Uhm." Most
people slip about four of these into every transmission. "Podunk
Traffic, uhm, Cessna 1234X, uhm, left downwind, uhm, 36, uhm, Podunk."

Old September 3rd 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Grumman-581 wrote:
On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 08:49:08 -0500, Emily
wrote:
The above is why I avoid small uncontrolled airports on the weekends.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to actually go someplace that was actually
*friendly*, would we? snicker

ADS is pretty damn friendly, and the busyness keeps away a lot of idiots.

That's the same thing we say at the busy uncontrolled field I fly out of.

Old September 3rd 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Dave Stadt wrote:
"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
The above is why I avoid small uncontrolled airports on the weekends.
Yeah, we wouldn't want to actually go someplace that was actually
*friendly*, would we? snicker

ADS is pretty damn friendly, and the busyness keeps away a lot of idiots.

That's the same thing we say at the busy uncontrolled field I fly out of.

I've just had bad experiences at uncontrolled fields. Might be a
Indiana thing, but they sure seem to attract a lot of idiots.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

If you buy into the idea that we should
minimize the length of our transmissions...

I don't buy into that idea at all. Transmissions should be an
appropriate length for the subject matter being transmitted. The
subject matter should be appropriate to transmit.

Properly done, redundancy adds to safety.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 3rd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

well, with the number of airports on one frequency in the northeast US,
there
really isn't anything like dead quiet during VFR days.

Come out west, young man!

family commitments.

Bring 'em with ya, we don't mind!

Old September 3rd 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
BTIZ wrote:
well.. I'd like to know what side of the airport the other pilot thinks
he is on.. we are at an uncontrolled field.

Further I have operated out of airports that legitimately have traffic
operating out of both sides. Sometimes the opposite pattern is used
for things like:

Ultralights
Gliders
Helicopters.

Are you talking opposite patterns to the same runway?
We have two runways.. parallel.. power on the west and longer runway..
Gliders and what ever else, on the east and shorter runway.. power and helo
traffic do use it when not in use by gliders
BT

Old September 3rd 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I managed five landings without rolling past the numbers with calm air the
other day. Making really short AND smooth landings AND hitting the exact
aimpoint has proved elusive. I can usually accomplish any two but not all
three. It gives me additional respect for the pilots demoing Helios at OSH.

I can't imagine what flying something like that must be like. Very
challenging, it sounds like!

I was
climbing in the Andes early in the year and then made an attempt on the
North side of Everest in the spring. I reached 25,000' without O2 and then
bailed for a variety of reasons.

Um, isn't life pretty much unsustainable at that altitude without
oxygen?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA