Hisense A5 e-Ing phone

Old May 1st 20, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hisense A5 e-Ing phone

Hi,

Has anyone run TopHat on one if those?
Or anything else like xcsoar etc..

Old May 7th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Someone else just posted about this. Sounds interesting but proof is in the pudding....
Old May 7th 20, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

Some guys in my club are running XCSoar on the Yotaphone 2. It is no longer made and the company went bankrupt but it was an interesting phone because it had a regular LCD screen on one side, and an e-ink screen on the other. It was configured to be able to mirror which meant the e-ink side could be used like any android phone (just a different screen.) The Yotaphone 3 was also a dual screen phone but it wasn’t a true mirror set up so the e-ink side was more limited. There are a couple of e-ink phone manufacturers with Hisense - a Chinese company - being the leader (I think they were involved with Yotaphone - a Russian company - for manufacturing) I have seen XCSoar running on the Yotaphone and the performance is very good because the screen quality is better than a typical e-reader, the processing power of the phones are much better, and asa result there isn’t as much of the screen refresh slowness and ghosting typical of e-ink screens. Another one introduced this year but I don’t think on sale yet is called the Onyx and it features capabilities to adjust screen refresh rates. I also posted about the new one from Hisense - with a colour e-ink screen. A little colour is all we need for XCSoar so I think it will be ideal. In fact, any of these e-ink android phones are just the ticket compared to modding Kobos and the like. As a bonus, they are not expensive compared to other cell phones.
Old May 8th 20, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 07 May 2020 15:32:42 -0700, Stephen Szikora wrote:

I also posted
about the new one from Hisense - with a colour e-ink screen. A little
colour is all we need for XCSoar so I think it will be ideal. In fact,
any of these e-ink android phones are just the ticket compared to
modding Kobos and the like. As a bonus, they are not expensive compared
to other cell phones.

Interesting. Do you know if anybody sells these e-ink (either monochrome
or colour) for use with a RaspberryPi? THAT would be very interesting
indeed. I have a 4" diagonal TFT colour touch screen with 480 x 320 res
that I'll put on a RPi when I get a round tuit. I'm planning to run XK8000
on that, but a colour or monochrome eInk touch screen would most likely
be more readable in the cockpit.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 8th 20, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

I don’t know about that but I’ll do some searching. One thing I forgot to mention is that the Hisense phones don’t have Google Play. The Onyx one does. Not a big deal because you can load XCSoar directly and anything else you need directly also. I should highlight that these phones all have GPS (making it easy to get up and running compared to a Kobo) but none of the ones I mentioned have a barometric sensor.
Old May 8th 20, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Don't want to offend anyone or step on any toes, but you guys have heard of a Naviter device called a OUDIE haven't you?

Works GREAT
Not too expensive

Full of goodies
Nick
Old May 8th 20, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 07 May 2020 19:55:00 -0700, Nick Kennedy wrote:

Don't want to offend anyone or step on any toes, but you guys have heard
of a Naviter device called a OUDIE haven't you?

Works GREAT Not too expensive

Still, AFAIK, based on WinCE which has been obsolete & unsupported by M$
for a long time now.

FWIW I'm currently flying with LK8000 running on a Medion S.3747. Its
also WinCE based, but has a transreflective display, barograph and GPS
and, as a nice touch, an easily swappable battery, but its going to die
sooner or later.

Hence my interest in the bits needed to build a replacement.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 8th 20, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Been there done that...IMO Xcsoar,TopHat,etc is far superior,and it's free.
Kobo Glo and some of the other devices also have a larger screen that the Oudie
Old May 8th 20, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 1:02:00 PM UTC-6, 6PK wrote:
Been there done that...IMO Xcsoar,TopHat,etc is far superior,and it's free.
Kobo Glo and some of the other devices also have a larger screen that the Oudie

The Sony Xperia Z3 is a great device for XCSoar. It was their flagship phone several years ago. Easy to see in direct sunlight, has a quad core processor, GPS, plenty of memory and is less than $100.00 US on ebay. I have been using one for two years and it works very well. Thanks to Charlie Quebec for the initial advice.

Mike
Old May 8th 20, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Plane

On Friday, 8 May 2020 11:19:03 UTC+12, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Interesting. Do you know if anybody sells these e-ink (either monochrome
or colour) for use with a RaspberryPi? THAT would be very interesting
indeed. I have a 4" diagonal TFT colour touch screen with 480 x 320 res
that I'll put on a RPi when I get a round tuit. I'm planning to run XK8000
on that, but a colour or monochrome eInk touch screen would most likely
be more readable in the cockpit.

Check this out:

https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/SkyView-Pi

It's not completely what you're after, but it's getting there.
--
Phil Plane

LG-980 PDA/Phone for sale Don Grillo Soaring 0 January 23rd 15 10:51 PM
Who's on the phone? Mxsmanic Piloting 5 January 10th 10 07:38 PM
Enjoy High Quality incredible low cost PC-to-phone and broadband phone services John Home Built 0 May 19th 05 02:58 PM
Phone gun Paul Sengupta Piloting 12 February 13th 04 11:09 PM