holy smokes YouTube landing

Old June 28th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default holy smokes YouTube landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDdEjloYJ0

Sports Class Nationals people - was this landing as frightening in
person as it is on tape? what was the wind doing then? looks like a
wild ride

Old June 28th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Jun 27, 10:20 pm, wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDdEjloYJ0

Sports Class Nationals people - was this landing as frightening in
person as it is on tape? what was the wind doing then? looks like a
wild ride

Yes - gusting - yes, it was!

We (the Sports Class Nationals people) were glad when this storm was
over and everybody was accounted for! For a more detailed report, read
the day's report by the CM Richard Holzwarth - it says it all:

http://www.ssa.org/members/contestre...lass+Nationals

I landed just a few minutes before the G-2. While approaching the
airport from the east, I went through some pretty rough turbulence and
heavy rain. Others reported also strong turbulence.
Lessons learnt: 1. stay away from t-storms - they are no fun and can
seriously hurt you and your ship! 2. Drain your static system before
the next flight after flying through rain like this - having
completely whacky airspeed indications is no fun either.

Ulrich Neumann
Libelle H301 'GM'

Old June 28th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

http://www.ssa.org/members/contestre...sFullDetail.as...

I landed just a few minutes before the G-2. While approaching the
airport from the east, I went through some pretty rough turbulence and
heavy rain. Others reported also strong turbulence.
Lessons learnt: 1. stay away from t-storms - they are no fun and can
seriously hurt you and your ship! 2. Drain your static system before
the next flight after flying through rain like this - having
completely whacky airspeed indications is no fun either.

Ulrich Neumann
Libelle H301 'GM'

thanks Ulrich. was hard to tell from the video. what with the
gliders just sitting by the runway not tied down it appeared to me
that the wind wasnt that bad. the G2's didnt appear to be getting
rocked around much which also didn't lead me to think it was that
gusty or turbulent. i suppose there was good sink associated with
rain. seemed he was high and fast. thank goodness he had a strong
glider, i dont think my Cherokee wouldve been able to take that kind
of a beating!

Old June 28th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Not having a long tailboom helps a lot during a ground loop.

On Jun 28, 10:11 am, wrote:
On Jun 27, 11:02 pm, GM wrote:

On Jun 27, 10:20 pm, wrote:

[...]

of a beating!- Hide quoted text -

Old June 28th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

I am sitting in the DUO in the photo. We landed 2 minutes before the
G2 in heavy rain. CM was sitting in his glider and we watched the G2
land. The gliders were not tied down beacuse we just landed in the
pouring rain and were waiting for the lightning to stop.

Tim Hanke
Saratoga Springs, NY

Old June 28th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Of course Ttim. in fact i had an incredible dream (nightmare?)
earlier this week about sitting in a glider during a severe Tstorm
like this and windjamming through it for fear of getting out and the
glider blowing away.

Old June 28th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
st4s03

He may have had a difficult time seeing level ground to coordinate the
wings.

Old June 28th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 28 Jun, 03:20, wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDdEjloYJ0

Sports Class Nationals people - was this landing as frightening in
person as it is on tape? what was the wind doing then? looks like a
wild ride

Coo. I wondered why he didn't put the wheel down until the last
hundred feet, but if he was planning on landing on the wing ...

Ian

Old June 29th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 28, 2:57 pm, Ian wrote:
On 28 Jun, 03:20, wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDdEjloYJ0

Sports Class Nationals people - was this landing as frightening in
person as it is on tape? what was the wind doing then? looks like a
wild ride

Coo. I wondered why he didn't put the wheel down until the last
hundred feet, but if he was planning on landing on the wing ...

Ian

Thanks for your concern..... Yes, the landing was as frightening in
person as it is on the tape. Much more so. There are several things
that were going on that are not shown on the video. The sink on the
approach to the airport was very heavy. I had been in strong lift
less than 3 minutes before. The CD had been anouncing "light and
variable winds and light rain at the airport". Things changed quite
rapidly. The landing gear was up and the spoilers in because I was
just clearing the shortest trees 1/2 way down the runway. The rain was
pouring down. The visability out of the canopy wasn't very good. And
there was another Genesis on the runway in front of me. I was trying
to turn to the right to avoid messing up two sailplanes. Quite
obviously, I had plenty of energy to pull up a little and complete my
turn before dragging a wing. I am not sure exactly why I wasn't smart
enough to do that..... The wing touched and let me tell you how stupid
I felt while swinging around out of control. Flying near
thunderstorms is stupid. For a few points that day, I flew right under
one. When we got the glider pulled to the side of the runway I had to
sit on the upwind wing for over 10 minutes to protect my Genesis. I
sat there happy to be in one big piece, happy my glider was in one big
piece but mostly feeling stupid......

Don

Old June 29th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 28, 7:40 pm, wrote:
On Jun 28, 2:57 pm, Ian wrote:

On 28 Jun, 03:20, wrote:

[...]

well im glad you got it down in one piece Don. sometimes the
pressures of flying work us into making mistakes. this is how we
learn. happy soaring,

youtube gliding videos Mal[_3_] Soaring 3 March 17th 07 04:55 AM
The Holy Shroud Acrux Piloting 3 September 29th 06 02:16 AM
Holy $#$ - eBay Copter Jimbob Home Built 37 September 13th 05 10:58 PM