A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » General Aviation
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Today 11/11/2011

Old November 12th 11, 06:04 AM
Banned

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Nov 2011
Send a message via ICQ to MariaMoon
Default Today 11/11/2011

Congratulations all of this rare event that happens once in a hundred years!
Old November 15th 11, 05:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MariaMoon

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION CODEC PACK

DOWNLOAD NOW

INSTALL NOW

windows vista sp1 codec download - free download 3gp codec for smartmovie
download k-lite codec for mac
download codec windows xp home
microsoft movie maker codec downloads
core avc h264 codec download
download media player mpeg-2 codec
Old November 15th 11, 07:30 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Reowseate Send a message via Skype™ to Reowseate

Lots of points to respond to

There Is a small but robust Buddhist 12-step community in America today. Some of the groups follow the example and format created by Kevin Griffin "One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the 12 Steps" and the Buddhist Recovery Network. Some are modeled on Darren Littlejohns work. Some are modeled on the work Noah Levine, author of "Dharma Punx."

The point I want to emphasize is that many people in recovery who resonate with
Buddhism live in places where the Buddhist 12-Step vibe hasnt caught on. What AA offers is the critical component missing from American Buddhism; the "sangha" if you will, the social connection and group participation in relative proximity to Anywhere, USA. I would like to be able to investigate the affinities between the Dharma and the 12 Steps so that those on the Buddhist path of recovery can feel comfortable within AA orthodoxy. I still find it challenging at times to perform the inner translations myself, but that is a reflection of the depths of the Dharma and the Steps I have yet to fathom.

My assumptions from the get-go are -

The American Buddhist 12-step community is likely a much different community than the self-identified Buddhists of TaoBums. I dont believe the TTB Buddhists speak with a monolithic voice, but I often find them referenced in a general, and often perjorative, fashion. As far as I can tell, Buddhist psychology in the service of the Buddhist recovery movement is mostly limited to the 4 Noble Truths, the 8-Fold Path, the Three Poisons, and the 5 Precepts. This is purely secular; no metaphysics, no suspensions of reason. Beyond that is your own private path.

I am choosing Buddhism because it is part of my practice and for reasons I stated in my opening post; because Buddhism is trained on the human impulse for craving, desire, addiction, lust, etc., and that to open it up to an ecumenical investigation would dissolve the unique contribution Buddhism makes to the recovery movement.

I am only too happy to see a more ecumenical interpretation of the 12 Steps at some point in the future, though.
edit - removed article from Dr. Weil