Decision time

Old December 28th 04, 03:59 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jim Rosinski" wrote in message
oups.com...
G.R. Patterson III wrote:

I've got my plane advertised on the AOPA web site and at
www.SellAviation.com. Got a couple calls so far, but nothing's
going to sell until things settle down after the holidays. Jim
Fisher had good results from www.ASO.com.

The price is sure right for advertising at SellAviation.com (free or
$9.95 depending on how prominent you want your ad to be). But their
user interface is ****-poor. No way so far as I can tell to sort by
price, model, or even manufacturer. ASO is excellent in this regard.
Jim Rosinski

As is http://www.controller.com/

Old December 28th 04, 04:46 PM
Mike Rapoport

The airplane market is interesting in that it considers an engine with a few
hundred hours left on it to be run out. It also considers an engine with a
few hundred hours since overhaul as "new" Selling an airplane with 200hrs
left on the engine is probably the worst time to sell it. The best time is
when it has about 200hrs SMOH.

Mike
MU-2

"nobody" wrote in message
m...
Our partnership decided to sell our '77 Warrior II while it still had
about
400 hrs left before TBO. That was a year ago. There is about 200 hrs left
now. Vref shows about 48K and we've dropped the price to 42K. She needs
paint and is right at TBO. She still runs strong and burns about 1qt of
oil
every 10-12 hours. All the ADs are current and other than the paint,
there
are no squawks. Its a good IFR platform and time builder with an STEC 40,
dual nav/coms and a panel GPS.

Should we:

a.) drop the price to 35K
b.) overhaul and paint (17K) and ask 59K
c.) do nothing and hope that we will eventually find a buyer
d.) something else that we haven't thought of

Ed

http://www.mekainc.com/n40008

Old December 28th 04, 04:57 PM
nobody

We change the oil every 25 hours. The filter and screen have always been
clean. The at annual, last year's compression: 76,74,75,76 this year's
compression: 76,70,76,74.

Refer to my prior post. If we decide to do the paint/overhaul we will
probably end up flying it for a few more years.

Ed

wrote in message
Why not just fly it until the engine tells you it is time to

overhaul/replace?
What are the cylinder compressions? The oil consumption is fine. What

does
your oil analysis show? What have you found in the oil filter and sump

screen?
How often have you been changing the oil?

TBO is not a magic number where the engine suddenly deconstructs. Fly it

as far
past TBO as you can while monitoring the engine health.

Demonick

Old December 28th 04, 07:39 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Mike Rapoport wrote:
Selling an airplane with 200hrs
left on the engine is probably the worst time to sell it. The best time is
when it has about 200hrs SMOH.

That makes a lot of sense for buyers. If you buy at TBO-200 you don't
have the trend information to know if that's run-out or going strong.
A recent major overhaul is suspect as others in this thread have pointed
out. By 200 SMOH you can be reasonably sure that the overhaul wasn't
done with selling the plane in mind and any overhaul-induced problems
have been dealt with. At near-0 SMOH, even on a great overhaul, you have
no relationship with the shop that did the work when you run into
problems.

The extension of your observation is that halfway to TBO is the best
time to buy. Sellers never discount run-out engines enough. Sellers
who have the cost of an overhaul fresh in their minds mark up the airplane
too much.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 28th 04, 08:32 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"nobody" wrote in message
m...

My experience is that there are a lot more people looking to buy into
partnerships than partnerships looking for new partners. More so if you're
near a major metropolitan area where there's a high volume of new pilots
looking to get out of renting.

Sounds like the plane is perfect for two of your partners. Why not have the
two of you sell your shares and go off and find something on your own?

-cwk.

Old December 28th 04, 08:45 PM
nobody

"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...

Sounds like the plane is perfect for two of your partners. Why not have

the
two of you sell your shares and go off and find something on your own?

Tried that. Nobody wants to buy into a partnership with an almost run-out
plane and no engine reserve. That was my first choice but no serious bites
in six months of advertisement. We're based at IWS (West Houston). You'd
think that in a city of 4 million there would be a few pilots looking for a
partnership.

I'd sell my 1/4 share for 10K today. We pay 45.00 an hour wet to fly and
75.00 a month for covered parking and insurance. Its a cheap way to stay in
the air.

Ed

Old December 28th 04, 09:04 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
nobody wrote:
Tried that. Nobody wants to buy into a partnership with an almost run-out
plane and no engine reserve.

If the other partners decide not to chip in at overhaul time then you
can't fly it and you've got a big investment that you have little chance
of selling. If you don't think that's a problem for your particular
partnership maybe you can convince the partners to create the fund now
with the possibility of selling individual shares at a higher price.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 28th 04, 10:06 PM
Dude

"nobody" wrote in message
m...
"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...

Sounds like the plane is perfect for two of your partners. Why not have

the
two of you sell your shares and go off and find something on your own?

Tried that. Nobody wants to buy into a partnership with an almost run-out
plane and no engine reserve. That was my first choice but no serious
bites
in six months of advertisement. We're based at IWS (West Houston). You'd
think that in a city of 4 million there would be a few pilots looking for
partnership.

I'd sell my 1/4 share for 10K today. We pay 45.00 an hour wet to fly and
75.00 a month for covered parking and insurance. Its a cheap way to stay
in
the air.

Ed

Your assessment is absolutely correct. I think you are more like at the
come to Jesus time. You are looking at a plane that likely needs to get
wholesaled, UNLESS.

Unless you can all get together and come up with a better solution that you
all agree to. Thus the downside of the partnership arrangement - there is no
free lunch.

If you all get along, and would like to move up, then you may be able to get
somewhere. You can do slightly better than rock bottom price with a trade
in to a broker or dealer. You can also pay off any unwilling partners out of
the trade at closing by financing all but 10% of the new plane.

Next time, keep a reserve. Its not just for overhaul, it can be used for
anything the group wants. Money can solve problems, and its easier to spend
the reserve than get all the partners to pony up at the same time. The club
can thus finance a new GPS by spending the reserve, and increasing the per
hour dues to make it up.

Old December 29th 04, 12:16 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Matt Barrow wrote:

As is http://www.controller.com/

Thanks. Mine is now listed there too.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 29th 04, 12:20 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Mike Rapoport wrote:

Selling an airplane with 200hrs
left on the engine is probably the worst time to sell it.

Maybe, but that runs neck&neck with "fresh overhaul."

The best time is when it has about 200hrs SMOH.

Yep. Buyers can be sure that you didn't get a cheap overhaul just to sell the
plane.