Canadian multi reg's

Old February 22nd 05, 06:12 AM
Gary

Default Canadian multi reg's

I'm due to start my private pilot training soon, and after I am done I would
like to take my multi and IFR. I don't plan on becoming a commercial pilot,
just a private with a multi and IFR rating (endorsments)
I was just wondering if there were any words of wisdom or any special
regulations (CANADA) that I may find myself up against before I get my heart
set on getting a multi engine rating.

I'm sure the school will let me know of all the pitfalls or the rewards but,
since they are due to make money on me by training I would like to hear from
a un-biased opinion.

thanks in advance!

Old February 22nd 05, 03:05 PM
BW

"Gary" wrote in message
I'm due to start my private pilot training soon, and after I am done I
would
like to take my multi and IFR. I don't plan on becoming a commercial
pilot,
just a private with a multi and IFR rating (endorsments)
I was just wondering if there were any words of wisdom or any special
regulations (CANADA) that I may find myself up against before I get my
heart
set on getting a multi engine rating.

I'm sure the school will let me know of all the pitfalls or the rewards
but,
since they are due to make money on me by training I would like to hear
from
a un-biased opinion.

thanks in advance!

I did the same thing as you are intending but about 5 yrs ago so checking
logbook, first was a night rating at around 50 hrs (it's just 5 hrs more
instrument) . After that I went on some day trips. Then my multi ( I think
is just 12 hrs + test). I never rented a multi for solo but I was allowed
to. After some more x-country I planned a long trip to Fla. so I got vfr OTT
( I think it was just 5 hrs more inst time). When I came back I started my
Group 1 Inst Rating. I did about 8-9 hrs in a sim and it was very boring but
cheap. I finished it up in a multi and got my rating at about 150 hrs (
hard test, written and flying). I had so many hrs because I originally
wanted a commercial licence. After talking to so many flight instructors
about pay I gave up that idea. The good thing is you can get the nt and vfr
ott ratings and they count to your instrument rating. The multi rating is
probably useless to me since I won't ever rent one. If you plan long
x-country vfr ott is very useful (but not as much as instrument). It is
much more relaxing to fly vfr than ifr though. In case nobody signs your
logbook after you have enough instrument time for vfr ott you automatically
get it with ifr rating. If I would change something about my training I
would spend longer doinig it ( I did it in less than a year). After your
training is finished it may seem hard to find excuses to fly. I would also
like to have done my ifr rating in a glass cockpit 172 or similar. I
wouldn't give up what I did in twins because it was fun (even though in
training 2 engines are almost never running at the same time so do some leg
exercises).

Have fun.

Old February 22nd 05, 04:06 PM
BW

"Gary" wrote in message
I'm due to start my private pilot training soon, and after I am done I
would
like to take my multi and IFR. I don't plan on becoming a commercial
pilot,
just a private with a multi and IFR rating (endorsments)
I was just wondering if there were any words of wisdom or any special
regulations (CANADA) that I may find myself up against before I get my
heart
set on getting a multi engine rating.

I'm sure the school will let me know of all the pitfalls or the rewards
but,
since they are due to make money on me by training I would like to hear
from
a un-biased opinion.

thanks in advance!

One thing I should mention is I claimed everything as school on my taxes,
more than $20000. This is legal even if you don't get your commercial
licence but you have to be elegible, ie. not to old or with bad eyes or too
much money already etc..

Old February 23rd 05, 09:11 PM

Gary wrote:
I'm due to start my private pilot training soon, and after I am done

I would
like to take my multi and IFR. I don't plan on becoming a commercial

pilot,
just a private with a multi and IFR rating (endorsments)
I was just wondering if there were any words of wisdom or any special
regulations (CANADA) that I may find myself up against before I get

my heart
set on getting a multi engine rating.

I'm sure the school will let me know of all the pitfalls or the

rewards but,
since they are due to make money on me by training I would like to

hear from
a un-biased opinion.

You can certainly do the multi-ifr on your private, but they aren't
much use
for most PPLs here in Canada. The problem is that the freezing level is
at
the surface when most of the ifr weather is encountered. This implies
you
want an aircraft certified for "known ice". These are expensive
airplanes and
almost never available for rent (single or multi). Even finding a twin
that
can be rented (but isn't certified known ice) can be hard and the
hourly rate
will be $200+/hr.

After your PPL, you might want to consider sticking with a night rating
and
maybe some instrument training (roughly what is in the Canadian CPL).
You can
do the ratings "because they are there", but you won't be able to use
them.

Other types of training I think can be fun/useful:
- Aerobatics (also hard to find a solo rental aircraft, but the
training is
good for safety reasons, even if you can't do aeros solo, imho)
- Tailwheel, seaplane - both fun checkouts and it is possible to rent
them,
although you have to look around for rentals of either

Just some thoughts, rick
ps: Before you do the instrument rating, you need 50hrs cross country,
so
you'll have some time after finishing your PPL to think about it.