A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Puchacz SZD-50-3 S# 2199

Old August 9th 13, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Puchacz SZD-50-3 S# 2199

Our club was going to purchase Puchacz SZD-50-3 S# 2199 directly from the seller in Poland. We had it inspected, looked at many pictures and we were pretty confident it was a good glider right up until we got a hold of logbook #1 which was in English......

Turns out this glider was totaled by the insurance company when owned by a Canadian soaring club. The seller never made us aware of this fact.

Buyer beware.

Andy
Post Mills Soaring Club
Old August 9th 13, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Yikes!

On Friday, August 9, 2013 9:19:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Our club was going to purchase Puchacz SZD-50-3 S# 2199 directly from the seller in Poland. We had it inspected, looked at many pictures and we were pretty confident it was a good glider right up until we got a hold of logbook #1 which was in English......

Turns out this glider was totaled by the insurance company when owned by a Canadian soaring club. The seller never made us aware of this fact.

Buyer beware.

Andy

Post Mills Soaring Club

Old August 9th 13, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Bad on the seller. But... I have seen gliders totaled for a broken canopy.. No kidding. Maybe this one got a wing wiped out, went back to Poland, got a new wing? Or something similar? Discussion has been had here many times. Damaged and repaired is not always bad. But, when a seller knows and says nothing, I agree, Andy. That is bad.
Old August 9th 13, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 9, 2013 9:53:18 AM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
Bad on the seller. But... I have seen gliders totaled for a broken canopy. No kidding. Maybe this one got a wing wiped out, went back to Poland, got a new wing? Or something similar? Discussion has been had here many times. Damaged and repaired is not always bad. But, when a seller knows and says nothing, I agree, Andy. That is bad.

We have the whole story from the Canadian club, it was not minor by any stretch of the imagination.
Old August 10th 13, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 9, 2013 10:07:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Bad on the seller. But... I have seen gliders totaled for a broken canopy. No kidding. Maybe this one got a wing wiped out, went back to Poland, got a new wing? Or something similar? Discussion has been had here many times. Damaged and repaired is not always bad. But, when a seller knows and says nothing, I agree, Andy. That is bad.

We have the whole story from the Canadian club, it was not minor by any stretch of the imagination

Do you know who in Poland repaired it, name of the shop?
Old August 12th 13, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 9, 2013 7:00:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:

We have the whole story from the Canadian club, it was not minor by any stretch of the imagination

No idea who did the repair. It may be a perfect repair for all we know, it was the lack of disclosure and fear of getting hung up in customs that made us run.
Old August 12th 13, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 12, 2013 11:12:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2013 7:00:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:

No idea who did the repair. It may be a perfect repair for all we know, it was the lack of disclosure and fear of getting hung up in customs that made us run.

If the current owner knew about the accident/repair and he did not disclose this to a potential buyer I would not want to have anything to do with him either. Good catch!
Old August 14th 13, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Well, at least the damage was actually recorded in the logbooks... I've come across a few instances where serious damage was done to a glider and repaired in a half arsed way with no logbook entries.
Old August 15th 13, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:04:37 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Well, at least the damage was actually recorded in the logbooks... I've come across a few instances where serious damage was done to a glider and repaired in a half arsed way with no logbook entries.

Not so sure about that (log book entry). Our discovery was made by contacting a Canadian club and by coincidence they happened to have been the owner and was wrecked when a strong wind ripped it from their hands.
Old August 24th 13, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski
external usenet poster

If you backed out of the deal, could you send me ) contact info of the seller? My club might be considering a purchase of another Puchacz. I would be also grateful for any supplementary information. Thank you.