Jim Weir's solar charger

Old February 8th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
R. Lee Jarvis

Default Jim Weir's solar charger

The Jan '07 issue of Kitplanes has an article by Jim Weir on a charge
controller for a small solar panel. I've got a 5W solar panel that I'd like
to use to charge & maintain a 12v 7Ah SLA in my Luscombe. Is anyone familiar
enough with this circuit to know if it could handle something in the
neighborhood of 323mA of charging current vs. the 90mA or so as shown in the
article?

Old February 8th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Well, I can take a stab at it {;-)

You should be able to suck 350 mA from the device as shown. You will have
to vary the short-circuit limiting resistor R101 to let you go to that
current. Download the app note to see what will limit the amount of juice
you can get from the barefoot circuit and add a pass transistor if you think
it warranted. The app note is "plug in" simple.

Jim