Blood Pressure/Medical (longish)

Old September 27th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default Blood Pressure/Medical (longish)

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:02:05 -0400, Wizard of Draws
wrote in
:

I'll stick with my old friend running and change the diet for a while first.

I find it interesting that throughout this entire message thread there
has been no mention of reducing sodium intake for lowering blood
pressure. I thought curtailing salt use was the number one remedy.

I have to watch sodium for a different reason. I have never been one to
add salt to my food. I usually found it acceptable. But, since being on
a low sodium diet (2000 mg/day) I find my self reading labels more. I
am astonished how much sodium processed food contains. I checked the
fast food, Arby's, and their regular roast beef sandwich combo is
2400mg. That is over a days requirement. Can vegetables, soups, frozen
dinners are very high in sodium. Even the breakfast cereals are high.
Shredded wheat is zero to very low. Also, people I noticed put way too
much salt on food. And, when I go out and get those wonderful french
fries, I ask for no salt.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old September 27th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Ross" wrote)
I have to watch sodium for a different reason. I have never been one to
add salt to my food. I usually found it acceptable. But, since being on a
low sodium diet (2000 mg/day) I find my self reading labels more. I am
astonished how much sodium processed food contains. I checked the fast
food, Arby's, and their regular roast beef sandwich combo is 2400mg. That
is over a days requirement. Can vegetables, soups, frozen dinners are very
high in sodium. Even the breakfast cereals are high. Shredded wheat is
zero to very low.

In 2005 I had "gut" surgery - they took out a foot of colon, repaired my
bladder, etc, etc. I had a week long healthy eating) ramp-up to the surgery,
a 'brazillion' bags of fluids used during surgery (system flush?), and two
weeks of nothing but fruits and (no salt) blender'd veggies after surgery. I
FELT GREAT!

Then I ate some Triscuits, Wheat Thins and Ritz crackers, as the first (non)
all-natural food items in a month. WOW, ...too salty! Nothing tasted good,
as it all had too much salt for my newly cleansed pallet. (I was off of all
pop, too).

Two month later I was back to my old ways... :-(

Montblack

Old September 27th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

It beats the hell out of the alternative.

Jim

This age thing is a bitch, ain't it?

Old September 27th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

I find it interesting that throughout this entire message thread there
has been no mention of reducing sodium intake for lowering blood
pressure. I thought curtailing salt use was the number one remedy.

It doesn't necessarily work. In people who are sensitive to excess salt, it
may, but in other people it may not have any effect at all. People in normal
health tend to excrete excess salt without any lasting change in BP.
Old September 27th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Larry Dighera writes:

I find it interesting that throughout this entire message thread
there has been no mention of reducing sodium intake for lowering
blood pressure. I thought curtailing salt use was the number one
remedy.

It doesn't necessarily work. In people who are sensitive to excess
salt, it may, but in other people it may not have any effect at all.
People in normal health tend to excrete excess salt without any
lasting change in BP.

Simply mindboggling

Bertie
Old September 28th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d.g.s.

On 9/27/2007 11:47 AM Mxsmanic ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

It doesn't necessarily work. In people who are sensitive to excess salt

What does this have to do with aviation?
--
dgs
Old September 28th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

d.g.s. writes:

What does this have to do with aviation?

Read the topic.

Hypertension is disqualifying for an aviation medical in the U.S.
Old September 28th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

d.g.s. writes:

What does this have to do with aviation?

Read the topic.

Hypertension is disqualifying for an aviation medical in the U.S.

So what?

You can stil fly, fjukkwit.

Oh wait, YOU can't

Bertie
Old September 28th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Mx wrote

Hypertension is disqualifying for an aviation medical in the U.S.

Readers of the group should know hypertension is commonly defined as
a blood pressure in excess of 140/90.

The FAA disqualifies those with blood pressures in excess of 155 over
something.

So the universe of those disqualified by the FAA is smaller than the
universe of those who have hypertension.

Mx's comment is a misleading statement of fact.

Again.