Too Old?

Old September 1st 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Too Old?

In rec.aviation.owning Gezellig wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 13:12:54 -0400, Gezellig wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:25:08 GMT, wrote:

In rec.aviation.piloting Gezellig wrote:
Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

When you can't pass the medical; that's what it is for.

Everyone's biology is different.

I think just about everyone knows people who are healthy as a horse
and in their late 80's and people who've dropped dead in their 50's.

Jim, the medical isn't much comfort imo. Yes, everyone is different and
the same. We all age..at differing rates, for sure. My concern is that
much like all kinds of Federal legislation that an age is picked which
envelopes those that do need to be out of the air with a majority that
do not.

Below is a perfect example of the aggressive behavior against GA pilots.
To think an age cutoff is unreasonable is to ignore the obvious.

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1201-full.html#198691

Did you actually read the article?

The pilot involved sued the government for damages.

The ruling was he wasn't due any damages since he could not show any
loss.

What has this to do with anything?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 1st 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gezellig writes:

Below is a perfect example of the aggressive behavior against GA pilots.
To think an age cutoff is unreasonable is to ignore the obvious.

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1201-full.html#198691

No mention of age, and he still has his license. The issue was one of
privacy, not flight restrictions.
Old September 1st 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gezellig writes:

The PPL exam is pretty much a joke which doesn't help as a defense.

The medical exams for licenses are a lot more restrictive than they need to
be.
Old September 1st 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

Anthony, have you ever taken a flying physical? What are the requirements?
How do they differ?

At best, they are a minimal screening, far from an extensive examination. Of
course, since you are not a physician or pilot, you wouldn't understand
these issues.

Old September 1st 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.owning Mxsmanic wrote:
Gezellig writes:

The PPL exam is pretty much a joke which doesn't help as a defense.

The medical exams for licenses are a lot more restrictive than they need to
be.

In what respect?

What standards are too restrictive and what should the standards be?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 1st 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Gezellig writes:

The PPL exam is pretty much a joke which doesn't help as a defense.

The medical exams for licenses are a lot more restrictive than they
need to be.

You are an idiot.

Bertie
Old September 1st 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 13:30:50 -0400, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Ben Jeffrey wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Hell Orval, it took that long for some of us to get proficient :-)))

--
Dudley Henriques

I have a friend in our soaring club who flew Corsairs as a USMC pilot in WW2
and still flys regularly in our club - usually the first to launch and the
last to land. To top it off, most of the time he flys his Pitts to the club
from his home field.

Ben Jeffrey

Some of the "older" pilots are in phenomenally good health. I deal with
a lot of them on a daily basis. They're amazing!

And some aren't Dudley neither of which is the point. The point is that
Fed/FAA gets aggressive, age could come into question regardless. For
that matter, why not a local port like Vegas throwing up their own
rules?