Quiet Vent

Old July 23rd 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron (RW)

Default Quiet Vent

Some months ago, I read a post from a John Morgan, Minden NV. He was
developing a gadget that was to diminish noise from the clearvision
panel vent. I think he called it the Quiet Vent. Any further word on
his venture? Any contact info? THNX Ron W (RW)
Old July 23rd 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

The Quiet Vent kit has been re-designed. The new design provides the same 10
db noise reduction* as the original design. However it is more robust and
less "fiddly" to install.

To order, send $5 USD and a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:

John Morgan
194 Taylor Creek Rd.
Minden, NV 89460

Money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied (simply return QV).
Also, any original design QV that proves defective may be returned for a new
design QV at no charge.

* Noise reduction measured with the pop-out side vent fully open (this is
the vent in the sliding Mecaplex window) and was measured at pilot's head
level while at 60 knots in my ASH26E).

Also available, the MKII "high tech" yaw string. Clear turbulator base,
natural wool yarn - $9 USD.

--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)

Old July 23rd 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Ron,

I forgot to add, thanks for asking.

Also, for anyone placing an order, please include your email address as this
will be used for mailing installation instructions to help keep printing
costs down.

Old July 24th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey[_1_]

Anybody got a picture of this device? Any testimonials on how well it
works?

Thanks,
Ed

Old July 25th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Ed,

The Quiet Vent kit is relatively new and has not been marketed commercially.
It's only been mentioned on this newsgroup and on the Stemme and ASH26E
groups. I've also sold a few of the first version of QV at Minden where I'm
based. That said, there are enough of the first QV version in use that you
may get a testimonial in response - - maybe. Please note that the first
version was not robust in use and could fail at sub-zero temperatures. The
seal, if not installed exactly right, could vibrate like the reed in an obo!
I'm replacing these at no charge.

The QV is completely clear when installed, so good pictures may be
difficult. If you email me privately, I'll send you a picture that has the
QV colored with a felt tip marker so it shows up well - - I did this for the
instruction sheet.

'Course you could always take a chance and order one, only $5 - - cheerfully
refunded if you're not satisfied.
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

oups.com...

Old July 25th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

bumper wrote:
Ed,

The QV is completely clear when installed, so good pictures may be
difficult. If you email me privately, I'll send you a picture that has the
QV colored with a felt tip marker so it shows up well - - I did this for the
instruction sheet.

'Course you could always take a chance and order one, only $5 - - cheerfully
refunded if you're not satisfied.
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Okay John, you've piqued my interest. Any chance you could send me the
photo? Are you by any chance set up to take PayPal if I decide to
order one?

Regards,

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Old July 25th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey[_1_]

Papa3 wrote:
bumper wrote:
Ed,

The QV is completely clear when installed, so good pictures may be
difficult. If you email me privately, I'll send you a picture that has the
QV colored with a felt tip marker so it shows up well - - I did this for the
instruction sheet.

'Course you could always take a chance and order one, only $5 - - cheerfully
refunded if you're not satisfied.
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Okay John, you've piqued my interest. Any chance you could send me the
photo? Are you by any chance set up to take PayPal if I decide to
order one?

Regards,

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Ditto for me, both questions. If you don't use it, PayPal is great for
this kind of thing.

Old July 26th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

I do apologize that the QV kit is so cheap. However, it's not all that labor
intensive to make once the jigs are set up etc.

On the other hand, the expensive ($9) MKII Yaw String is more labor
intensive to make, with lot's of steps:

Hydraulic punch die cuts clear plastic disks and marks center of disk.

Paper cutter, with jig, slices two sides off each disk to make "pie" slice
turbulator shape.

Template used to punch small center hole. (Note that all the above could be
done in one step if a relatively expensive custom made die were used.)

Natural wool yarn is threaded through hole and flayed out. End of yarn
knotted

Base is put on clear adhesive and excess adhesive trimmed by hand.

Index dot punched out and placed on under side of yaw string base for
storage.

I ought'a raise the price (g).

Sorry, no website - - I'm a computer dummy. You'll just have to email me
privately if you want more info.

all the best,

--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

"ContestID67" wrote in message
ups.com...
John Morgan,

I'd be interested in this device but, even for a measly $5 each, want
to see what it actually is first. I guess my rule of thumb is that
anything on an airplane must cost $100 each or it can't be real. ;-)

How about pictures and the PDF of the instructions on a web site
somewhere? Pretty easy to get a free web site at http://yahoo.com.

- John

Old July 26th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Bumper-
Is this a vent quieter for the side window ?--
Posts suggest that to be the case. If so, I will mail you an order for one.
Hartley Falbaum
"KF" USA

Old July 26th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Hartley,

Yes, that's what it's for.

The standard Mecaplex sliding window usually has a small rectangular
flip-out window. When open, this window sticks out into the air stream, but
it's noisy.

Much of the noise is caused my air turbulence, as some of the incoming air
strikes the back of the vent opening, the small mounting block for the vent
hinge, and finally the handle for the vent.

The QV kit eliminates most of these obstructions by attaching to the inside
face of the vent handle, then continuing forward to seal against the inside
surface of the vent, thus providing a smooth and rounded surface for the air
flow.

It's a simple device and certainly possible for others to copy and make
their own. That's part of the reason I've priced it so low - - so they'll
think, "Why bother, I'll just order one". Besides, I've done lots of testing
and worked out the bugs. Just ask any of the people who purchased the first
version only to have it vibrate like an oboe reed or come off during
super-cold wave flight!

Just for info, I know there is or was a company that manufactures a complete
replacement for the flip-out vent that is supposed to address the noise
issue. I've not tried their product. I googled, but could not locate
them - - as I recall, they are located in CA. So at least the idea of making
this vent quieter is not new.

all the best,

bumper
. ..

Tail Vent? jjcact Soaring 1 June 10th 05 03:10 PM
PIK20D vent hole machanism [email protected] Soaring 0 February 23rd 05 09:08 AM
Eye Ball Vent B. Iten Soaring 4 September 4th 04 09:38 AM
Finding vent hole in wing skin Martin Eiler Soaring 7 November 21st 03 02:44 PM
Any planes remotely quiet? Chris Hoffmann Owning 3 July 27th 03 06:13 AM