More questions on VFR flight following.

Old January 3rd 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

Default More questions on VFR flight following.

OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight following,
they'll want to know where I'm going. If i'm following a semi-complex
route, on V airways and going from this VOR to that, perhaps turning at an
intersection to a different V airway, do they really want to know that? Or
do they just want the destination? I know that they need the dest, since
they apparently attach it to my callsign. The impact of the route is that i
won't be making a straight line to the destination, but likely some minor
zigs and zags to get there. I often do this to steer clear of B airspace or
restricted areas, when navigating in a plane without GPS. I guess I could
give them my route of flight, but do they really want that -- or just the
final destination?

Second question since I'm on the topic. I've never flown through any class
B airspace. If i popup knocking on the door, having planned a flight to
avoid the airspace, what is the chance that they will clear me through it
for asking? For example, I'm planning a flight that will save a couple
miles if i can cut through the NY Class B, on the west side, e.g. over
Morristown field, and I may not want to get up over the 7,000 ceiling due to
winds aloft. Is it more likely to get clearance to cut a chord through the
outer ring like this -- as opposed to say expecting to, say, overfly the
Statue of Liberty vicinity at 5,500 (which is much closer to the center
rings of the Class B). I don't see any VFR transit routes from a quick
glance of the NY TAC. I guess my strategy would be to plan a circutous
route that keeps my clear of the Class B, but then when I'm close (but not
too close), ask if i can cut direct through it to my destination. IF yes,
I'll just aim for a VOR on the other side.... Any thing I can do to, perhaps
planning the right route through, to increase my chances of getting
clearance?

Thanks -- Tman!

Old January 3rd 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

I provide the destination and sometimes intermediate non-direct
waypoints if a lot different.

You can always ask to go through Class B but don't count on it.
Be sure to hear the phrase "Cleared to enter Class B" or equivalent.

Ron Lee
Old January 3rd 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

On Jan 2, 7:46*pm, (Ron Lee) wrote:
I provide the destination and sometimes intermediate non-direct
waypoints if a lot different.

You can always ask to go through Class B but don't count on it.
Be sure to hear the phrase "Cleared to enter Class B" or equivalent.

Ron Lee

IF they clear you into Class B, they'll likely put you on vectors.

--Dan
Old January 3rd 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tman N/A wrote:
OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight following,
they'll want to know where I'm going. If i'm following a semi-complex
route, on V airways and going from this VOR to that, perhaps turning at an
intersection to a different V airway, do they really want to know that? Or
do they just want the destination? I know that they need the dest, since
they apparently attach it to my callsign. The impact of the route is that i
won't be making a straight line to the destination, but likely some minor
zigs and zags to get there. I often do this to steer clear of B airspace or
restricted areas, when navigating in a plane without GPS. I guess I could
give them my route of flight, but do they really want that -- or just the
final destination?

All they want is the destination.

They expect you to be able to navigate to there and stay out of things
like restricted areas on your own.

They may question you on your route if it seems "strange" to them.

[...]

The first thing you need to do is look at the appropriate TAC.

Most class B areas have specific routes for VFR traffic that is going
through the area.

Having said that, most class B's are pretty easy going about the outer
rings if it is not an area of heavy traffic.

You can always ask; the worst that can happen is they say no.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 3rd 08, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Tman writes:

OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight following,
they'll want to know where I'm going.

Why?
Old January 3rd 08, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:58:12 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote in :

Tman writes:

OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight following,
they'll want to know where I'm going.

Why?

ATC wants to know the destination, so that they can arrange for
transition through intervening terminal airspace and SU airspace, and
so that they can terminate Radar Traffic Advisory Service at the
appropriate point.
Old January 3rd 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tman" N/A wrote in message

OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight following,
they'll want to know where I'm going. If i'm following a semi-complex
route, on V airways and going from this VOR to that, perhaps turning at an
intersection to a different V airway, do they really want to know that?
Or do they just want the destination? I know that they need the dest,
since they apparently attach it to my callsign. The impact of the route
is that i won't be making a straight line to the destination, but likely
some minor zigs and zags to get there. I often do this to steer clear of
B airspace or restricted areas, when navigating in a plane without GPS. I
guess I could give them my route of flight, but do they really want
that -- or just the final destination?

Depends what you want from them.

If it's airspace where contact with ATC is required and that's the only
reason you're calling, you don't intend to remain with them when contact is
no longer required, then all they need is a general description of your
route through the affected airspace. They don't need the destination unless
it's nearby.

If you want flight following to your destination and you'd like them to pass
that information along to other facilities along your route you'll need to
provide the destination and route in a format the computer will accept;
airways, navaids, intersections, etc. You don't have to actually fly over
them, a few miles is close enough. The easiest way to do this is to enter a
flight plan through DUAT. Select IFR flight plan and enter "VFR" as the
altitude. Approach will have all of your information when you call, they'll
assign the beacon code selected by the computer, and your information will
be sent to every facility between your departure point and destination.

Old January 3rd 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

ATC wants to know the destination, so that they can arrange for
transition through intervening terminal airspace and SU airspace, and
so that they can terminate Radar Traffic Advisory Service at the
appropriate point.

Transit through active SUA tends to defeat the purpose of establishing SUA.
VFR aircraft can transit MOAs and MTRs but there is nothing to arrange.

Old January 3rd 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Tman writes:

OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight
following, they'll want to know where I'm going.

Why?

Why do you want to know?

Bertie
Old January 3rd 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Transit through active SUA tends to defeat the purpose of establishing SUA.
VFR aircraft can transit MOAs and MTRs but there is nothing to arrange.

We've got a bunch of R areas here that the local approach control will
offer to arrange transit through if possible even when it is hot.
Margy even wrangled a transit through the coastal North Carolina
areas between Wilmington and Hatteras (although we worked out the
details on the ground before calling them up in the air when
we were coming through. We had to hold for about 2 minutes while
they safetied things so we could bring the Navions through.

Flight Questions Jed Piloting 32 September 15th 07 03:12 PM
flight level questions [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 14th 06 09:13 PM
Yesterday's IFR flight with questions A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 30 November 23rd 05 11:31 PM
Nice Surprize During Pre Flight, And A Few Odd Questions MRQB Owning 12 March 25th 04 12:26 AM
IFR flight in MSFS '98 questions Sydney Hoeltzli Simulators 9 July 31st 03 12:05 AM