Garmin GPSMAP 495

Old March 27th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

Default Garmin GPSMAP 495

Like Piper and the Matrix, Garmin has stripped-out the expensive items in
the 496 and offering the 495 without weather and the automotive package at
$1,595 as opposed to the $2,395. I don't want to underestimate Garmin's
ability to price their products appropriately but I don't think this is a
winner. Essentially, you'd be paying +$400 for the SafeTaxi, better
processor, higher terrain resolution, asn AOPA directory.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big jump in capability over the 296 to justify
a 1/3 increase in cost. Maybe I'm just coming from the wrong angle as an IFR
flyer...

Marco

Old March 27th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 27, 10:02 am, "Marco Leon"
wrote:
Like Piper and the Matrix, Garmin has stripped-out the expensive items in
the 496 and offering the 495 without weather and the automotive package at
$1,595 as opposed to the $2,395. I don't want to underestimate Garmin's
ability to price their products appropriately but I don't think this is a
winner. Essentially, you'd be paying +$400 for the SafeTaxi, better
processor, higher terrain resolution, asn AOPA directory.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big jump in capability over the 296 to justify
a 1/3 increase in cost. Maybe I'm just coming from the wrong angle as an IFR
flyer...

Marco

I thought the salient selling point of the 496 is XM Weather
availability.

SafeTaxi and AOPA are nice, but nowhere near the utility of XM wx.

Dan Mc

Old March 27th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
es330td

On Mar 27, 10:02*am, "Marco Leon"
wrote:
Like Piper and the Matrix, Garmin has stripped-out the expensive items in
the 496 and offering the 495 without weather and the automotive package at
$1,595 as opposed to the $2,395. I don't want to underestimate Garmin's
ability to price their products appropriately but I don't think this is a
winner. Essentially, you'd be paying +$400 for the SafeTaxi, better
processor, higher terrain resolution, asn AOPA directory.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big jump in capability over the 296 to justify
a 1/3 increase in cost. Maybe I'm just coming from the wrong angle as an IFR
flyer...

Marco

My Dad flies with a 496 and the weather is worth the cost. Unless
that is provided through something else in the plane I cannot see not
getting that for something of this level.
Old March 27th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

"es330td" wrote in message

My Dad flies with a 496 and the weather is worth the cost. Unless
that is provided through something else in the plane I cannot see not
getting that for something of this level.

I jumped from the GPS Pilot III to the 496. It STILL amazes me that we can
have this much capability in a single unit. I mean, this stuff would have
cost you over $30K less than 10 years ago.

Marco

Old March 27th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

"Marco Leon" wrote:

"es330td" wrote in message

My Dad flies with a 496 and the weather is worth the cost. Unless
that is provided through something else in the plane I cannot see not
getting that for something of this level.

I jumped from the GPS Pilot III to the 496. It STILL amazes me that we can
have this much capability in a single unit. I mean, this stuff would have
cost you over $30K less than 10 years ago.

Marco

Plus you can integrate the Zaon XRX into the 496 to get traffic
alerts. Very cool.

Ron Lee
Old March 27th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Marco Leon wrote:
Like Piper and the Matrix, Garmin has stripped-out the expensive items in
the 496 and offering the 495 without weather and the automotive package at
$1,595 as opposed to the $2,395. I don't want to underestimate Garmin's
ability to price their products appropriately but I don't think this is a
winner. Essentially, you'd be paying +$400 for the SafeTaxi, better
processor, higher terrain resolution, asn AOPA directory.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big jump in capability over the 296 to justify
a 1/3 increase in cost. Maybe I'm just coming from the wrong angle as an IFR
flyer...

Marco

I agree that the drop should have been more than $400. But don't
undervalue that faster processor and 5x faster refresh rate.

Old March 27th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

"Ron Lee" wrote in message

Plus you can integrate the Zaon XRX into the 496 to get traffic
alerts. Very cool.

I saw the clip explaining the integration on YouTube. Would you (or anyone
reading) know if you can have the 496 hooked up to a GNS430 for flightplan
crossfill purposes AND a ZOAN XRX for traffic at the same time? I'm planning
on getting the 496 integrated with my 430 while I'm getting a WAAS upgrade
and it would be great to have the wiring configured for possible future
integration with a XRX.

Marco

Old March 27th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G Paleologopoulos

"Dan" wrote
................................................. ........................
I thought the salient selling point of the 496 is XM Weather
availability.

SafeTaxi and AOPA are nice, but nowhere near the utility of XM wx.

Dan Mc

GARMIN does not sell to the US alone.
Europe has no XMwx.
Their move was brilliant, IMHO, as rest-of-the-world sales must have been
pretty dismal due to no weather availability.

Old March 27th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 27, 12:52 pm, "G Paleologopoulos"
wrote:

Europe has no XMwx.

Why not???

Old March 27th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Dan wrote:
On Mar 27, 12:52 pm, "G Paleologopoulos"
wrote:

Europe has no XMwx.

Why not???

Because the XM satellites are parked above the western hemisphere. You
can't see them from Europe.

There is a satellite radio service called Worldspace that covers Europe,
Africa and Southern Asia. I'm surprised that Garmin hasn't tried to work out
some kind of deal with them.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Garmin Gpsmap 96 chris Piloting 5 February 9th 07 02:05 AM
Garmin GPSMAP 195 Jonathan Goodish Aviation Marketplace 0 June 21st 05 01:00 AM
Garmin GPSMAP 296 & Sun n Fun Cockpit Colin Piloting 5 April 19th 04 10:26 PM
Garmin GPSMAP 296 Cockpit Colin Piloting 7 March 23rd 04 02:15 PM
FS: Garmin GPSMAP-196 Aircraft Mechanic in Tampa Aviation Marketplace 3 March 6th 04 04:19 AM