Washing - how often?

Old May 4th 05, 09:58 PM
Jay Honeck

How often do you wash your airplane?

Never.

Well, that's almost correct. I have never washed an airplane (or a
motorcycle) with soap and water. Instead, we spray and wipe after every
flight with Lemon Pledge and clean, cotton diapers.

Occasionally we use a good spray wax, like Meguilar's. For really grimy
parts (like the exhaust stains on the bottom) we'll use Super Clean,
followed by Pledge and/or wax.

Our paint is over 10 years old, and we still get compliments for it. (And
our 1986 Honda Goldwing looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 5th 05, 03:57 PM
Mike in GR

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:cIaee.56167$c24.7127@attbi_s72...
How often do you wash your airplane?

Never.

Well, that's almost correct. I have never washed an airplane (or a motorcycle) with soap and water. Instead, we spray and wipe
after every flight with Lemon Pledge and clean, cotton diapers.

Occasionally we use a good spray wax, like Meguilar's. For really grimy parts (like the exhaust stains on the bottom) we'll use
Super Clean, followed by Pledge and/or wax.

Our paint is over 10 years old, and we still get compliments for it. (And our 1986 Honda Goldwing looks like it just rolled off
the showroom floor...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Whactcha going to do when your supply of Pledge runs out? I tried to get some and they don't make it in a squirt bottle anymore.
Just spray bombs.

Mike Z

Old May 5th 05, 07:50 PM
Steve Foley

Mine washes itself - every time it rains.

I get under and clean the belly once a year.

Old May 5th 05, 10:09 PM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-05-05, Steve Foley wrote:
Mine washes itself - every time it rains.

Mine is hanagared and the only time I notice the slight dust accumulation
is when I park it in the rain somewhere. Then the dust turns to mud and
runs and forms dirty water spots.

It's currently parked outside waiting for the annual to begin and got
rained on several times, so I'm hoping it may get all the way from
"dirty streaks" to "sort of clean"...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old May 6th 05, 04:09 AM
Jay Honeck

Whactcha going to do when your supply of Pledge runs out? I tried to get
some and they don't make it in a squirt bottle anymore. Just spray bombs.

I've got several...cases!

My supply may outlast the plane...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 7th 05, 07:15 AM
Roger

On Thu, 05 May 2005 14:57:38 GMT, "Mike in GR"
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:cIaee.56167$c24.7127@attbi_s72...
How often do you wash your airplane?

Wash?

I depend on that coat of slipery bugs to make it go faster.

You do have to kina smooth them over on the windshield though so you
can make out the runway.

Good thing they don't stick on the side windows or I'd never be able
to go sight seeing.

Roger