generator mufflers

Old July 15th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Chief McGee

Default generator mufflers

I always wanted to put a big car muffler on my generator. If it can quite a
V8, it should work on a small one lunger. Anyone try this?

Old July 15th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Cy Galley

You are dealing with sound pulses of a certain pattern and frequencies.
Large might not do as good a job as a muffler designed to the engine.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair

Old July 16th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

"Chief McGee" wrote in message
I always wanted to put a big car muffler on my generator. If it can quite

V8, it should work on a small one lunger. Anyone try this?

It works, but not as well as you might think. They are made with the
resonance and flow rate of the bigger engine.

The exhaust running into a bucket of steel
--
Jim in NC wool would work better.

Old July 16th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"flybynightkarmarepair" wrote in message
ups.com...

Neighbors will be happier if your run the exhaust into a galvanized
bucket filled with water. The exhaust, via suitable hose (few are) or
flexible metal tubing. should extend BELOW the water level. There
should be a top on the bucket, vented around the edges to direct the
much reduced noise DOWN.

I'll bet the water muffler does well at reducing the exhaust note, (at the
expense of considerable back pressure) but you will be surprised at how much
noise those Home Depot class generators make that is NOT from the exhaust.
About the only thing that will quiet them down is a heavy, remotely sited,
generator shed.

If you really want quiet, those inverter generators made by Yamaha and
Honda are awesome. Expensive, but after all this is an aviation group. Money
is obviously no object, right?

Vaughn

Old July 16th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
LJ

Try two hub caps in the shape of a frizz-be(sp).Cut a hole in one cap
and weld it to the top of your exhaust pipe,weld the other cap one or
two inches above the first cap.You won't hear the exhaust.

LJ

Old July 16th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith

In article
,
"Vaughn Simon" wrote:

If you really want quiet, those inverter generators made by Yamaha and
Honda are awesome. Expensive, but after all this is an aviation group.
Money is obviously no object, right?

Vaughn, I am having difficulty finding a Yamaha generator dealer locally.
Yamaha's site is no help.
Is this something that is a regional commodity?
Old July 16th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

www.northerntool.com

Old July 16th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith

In article . com,
"Lou" wrote:

www.northerntool.com

Thanks, Lou.
Old July 16th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

One other thing to do is check around the rental yards for a brand
called AGEKO? I belive. We used hundreds of their units in the refinery
during hurricane season. I could stand next to a 50Kw unit running at
full load and carry on a conversation with someone standing right next
to the unit and not have to have our voices much above a whisper. They
have the most sound deadened units that I've ever heard before. How
they do their units would be a good lesson on what works well.

Craig C.

Old July 16th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_3_]

wrote in message
ps.com...

One other thing to do is check around the rental yards for a brand
called AGEKO? I belive. We used hundreds of their units in the refinery
during hurricane season. I could stand next to a 50Kw unit running at
full load and carry on a conversation with someone standing right next
to the unit and not have to have our voices much above a whisper. They
have the most sound deadened units that I've ever heard before. How
they do their units would be a good lesson on what works well.

Did you read the decibels on that 3000 watt Yamaha? 57 db! Unbelievable!!
Light traffic is louder than that!

Most of the other brands operate at 67 to 72, with some as loud as 80 db.

They carry a nice price, but if quiet is important, those seem to be the
units to go with.
--
Jim in NC