Bluetooth Wireless Headsets

Old May 30th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Bluetooth Wireless Headsets

Lopresti recently introduced a product that I've long awaited --
bluetooth wireless ANR headphones.

This technology seems to be key to solving one of the great
aggravations in the cockpit -- wire snarl. I've done everything
possible to minimize wiring from our GPS units, and from XM satellite
radio -- but we've STILL got a massive snarl of wiring for our four-
place intercom. To do away with all that, once and for all, would be
awesome.

Strangely, the product seems to have generated very little buzz in the
market, and very little notice in the magazines, which is surprising
to me. Perhaps it's because Lopresti is new to the headphone
market?

Anyone seen/tried these things yet?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 30th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Jay Honeck wrote:
Lopresti recently introduced a product that I've long awaited --
bluetooth wireless ANR headphones.

This technology seems to be key to solving one of the great
aggravations in the cockpit -- wire snarl. I've done everything
possible to minimize wiring from our GPS units, and from XM satellite
radio -- but we've STILL got a massive snarl of wiring for our four-
place intercom. To do away with all that, once and for all, would be
awesome.

ITA. I hate wires going everywhere, too.

Strangely, the product seems to have generated very little buzz in the
market, and very little notice in the magazines, which is surprising
to me. Perhaps it's because Lopresti is new to the headphone
market?

I bet that's it. If Bose or Dave Clark came out with them, everyone
would know about it.

Anyone seen/tried these things yet?

No. Where did you see it? What does it entail and what does it cost?
Old May 30th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

No. Where did you see it? What does it entail and what does it cost?

Do a search for "Lopresti Headset" and you'll get gajillion hits.
Here's one:

http://www.sbwire.com/news/view/11896
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 30th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rolf Blom

On 2007-05-30 15:57, Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I don't think they're out yet, but according to this link, they could be
available at the end of the year:
http://www.bluetoothsource.net/2007/...set-for-pilots

http://www.sbwire.com/news/view/11896
“We are currently looking to partner with existing headset
manufacturers.” “We expect to make the first deliveries in time for
Christmas.”

Interesting setup, but I guess you need to carry a battery on your
person to keep it going 8-10hrs
Old May 30th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

That's the link I just finished reading.

Sounds like a great idea.

A few questions that immediately pop into my head a

Are they ANR's? I missed that in the link.

how big is the "wireless module that connects to your aircraft RCA jacks"
(and where do I put it)

Is the 8-10 hours on a charge for the 3v Lithium battery a real world number
or is that without anybody talking?
How many flights will I be forced to dig for the RCA cords and plug myself
in because the battery just died?

Most of us can carry on a conversation while ATC talks with other aircraft,
keeping an ear perked for our N number or location. Although I know nothing
about "cascading frequencies" I wonder if cockpit conversations as well as
music will be totally cut off when ATC speaks.

Looks like Christmas roll out once they find a headset partner. Someone
else to add to my OSH list!

Jim

ups.com...

Old May 30th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jay Honeck wrote:
No. Where did you see it? What does it entail and what does it cost?

Do a search for "Lopresti Headset" and you'll get gajillion hits.
Here's one:

http://www.sbwire.com/news/view/11896

The reason you haven't heard much about it is that it is so new it may not
really exist yet. The press release you linked to above is dated 5/14/07 and
the website mentioned at the bottom of the press release
http://www.LoPrestiFury.com shows no information on it.

Old May 30th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Are they ANR's? I missed that in the link.

In my opinion, the hot setup is a small box (cigarette package size) that
clips to the back of your seat, your belt loop, or your shirt pocket and
your CURRENT HEADSET plugs into that box. Two main advantages: One, it
uses your expensive current headset in any format you desire AND if the
"wireless module" goes TU, you take the headset plugs out of the module,
break the wiretie cord, plug them into the aircraft jacks and you are back
in business. While connected to the module, you can coil the headset cable
up and tie it with rubber bands or thread that can be easily broken in the
aforementioned TU mode of operation.

I have just gotten my response from TI as to their recommendations for the
technology (strangely enough, just started last Tuesday before I got wind of
this nonsense) and their recommendation is to go straight ISM and not fool
around with Bluetooth or Zigbee...this from their senior applications
engineer.

We are going to have a wireless unit by Christmas also, but I decline to
state the year {;-)

how big is the "wireless module that connects to your aircraft RCA jacks"
(and where do I put it)

Aircraft do not have RCA jacks with one exception and that is the antenna
connection on a marker receiver in some makes and models. Some older
transceivers used them on the NAV antenna as well, but nobody uses RCA for
audio.

Is the 8-10 hours on a charge for the 3v Lithium battery a real world
number
or is that without anybody talking?
How many flights will I be forced to dig for the RCA cords and plug myself
in because the battery just died?

If we can get 50 hours on a 9 volt battery for a full 4-station intercom, I
fail to see how a simple microwatt transceiver will only get 10 hours on a
Lion battery.

Most of us can carry on a conversation while ATC talks with other
aircraft,
keeping an ear perked for our N number or location. Although I know
nothing
about "cascading frequencies" I wonder if cockpit conversations as well as
music will be totally cut off when ATC speaks.

We did a hell of a lot of testing in-flight before we decided that the ONLY
priority in the audio system should be to shut the music off whenever
ANYTHING else (ATC, intercom, marker, alert, etc.) comes on. You should
have control of everything else.

Looks like Christmas roll out once they find a headset partner. Someone
else to add to my OSH list!

I'd volunteer, but I really don't like their design mechanisms ... it seems
you have to have an Ipod on board, the priority system sucks, the battery
life is nfg, and while Bluetooth is a great buzzword it really doesn't
belong in this sort of a system.

IMnsHO, of course.

Jim

Old May 30th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

and their recommendation is to go straight ISM and not fool
around with Bluetooth or Zigbee

What is ISM? (and what is zigbee?)

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when
Old May 30th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Google is your friend. ISM is Industrial, Scientific, Medical and Zigbee is
a proprietary form of spread spectrum modulation.

Jim

--
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who count in binary and those who don't
t...

Old May 30th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Google is your friend. ISM is Industrial, Scientific, Medical and Zigbee is
a proprietary form of spread spectrum modulation.

Google may be my friend, but I guess I need a best buddy. I know about
acronymfinder.com and a few others (and had already been there), but
given "Industrial, Scientific, Medical" as a possibility, I would not
have thought it applied here (i.e. as opposed to Bluetooth).

Once asking about ISM, why not ask about Zigbee? (does it replace
Bluetooth?)

Jose

Bluetooth [email protected] Home Built 1 August 31st 05 12:40 AM
Bluetooth headsets? Jim N. Piloting 9 July 24th 05 08:03 PM
PIREP: WxWorx w/Bluetooth Nathan Young Piloting 5 June 21st 05 07:50 PM
Bluetooth. Stan Kochanowski Soaring 2 March 24th 05 04:31 PM
BlueTooth effects? Hilton Piloting 9 May 23rd 04 07:37 PM