ELT Required for all SSA sanctioned contests starting 2006

Old September 14th 05, 03:13 AM
Steve Leonard

So, why not use that tail battery box for your ELT
installation?
ZS

Let me clarify. IF the entire thing will fit in the
tail battery box (Transmitter, battery, antenna, etc),
why not consider putting it there? Surely if the manufactures
can find a way to install 14 volt 10 amp hour batteries,
plus a couple of gallons of water in the fin, there
must be room in there for an ELT. Maybe not in all
gliders, but it could be an option for some.

If I am going to keep flying contests, I will have
to get an ELT. And I know it is for the peace of mind
of the organizers. Just like the requirement for liability
insurance is to protect others investments in case
of my screwups. We do lots of things to protect and
help others in this otherwise rather self centered
sport. Yes, this is another cost those of us that
like to compete will have to bear. And we will have
another item to check pre and post flight to make sure
we don't have people buzzing around us in the middle
of the night.

For those that are complaining of the about $200 investment
you will have to make in the cheapest ELTs, that will,
so they say, no longer be satellite monitored in 3
years, let me ask you this. How many of you will spend
$500 every couple of years to upgrade your home computer,
knowing full well it will be obsolete in two years?
Oh, and how many of the airplanes are flying with
the Mode S Transpondes we in the US were told we would
all need to have by, when was it, about 1990? I will
believe the no more satellite monitoring of 121.5 and
243.0 when it really happens. Then, I will have to
spend more money to 'upgrade' or maybe obsolete my

In the mean time, I will continue to fly without and
ELT, since I fly in the flat lands where a gear door
can be seen sticking up in a field from nearly a mile
away. If you see me at a contest in 2006, you will
know that I gave in and bought an ELT. Since I still
like contest flying, maybe Santa will bring me an ELT
for Christmas?

Steve Leonard
ZS

Old September 14th 05, 03:45 AM
Marc Ramsey

Steve Leonard wrote:
Let me clarify. IF the entire thing will fit in the
tail battery box (Transmitter, battery, antenna, etc),
why not consider putting it there? Surely if the manufactures
can find a way to install 14 volt 10 amp hour batteries,
plus a couple of gallons of water in the fin, there
must be room in there for an ELT. Maybe not in all
gliders, but it could be an option for some.

You seem to have forgotten about the cable connecting to the remote
control panel, which must be mounted in the cockpit to be compliant with
the regulations. Last time I had to run something from the fin to the
cockpit, it involved cutting a thousand dollars or so worth of holes...

Marc
Old September 16th 05, 05:06 AM
Duane Eisenbeiss

wrote in message
ups.com...
When the fuselage gets broken, so does the antenna lead.
UH

Not necessarily. I have seen several broken fuselages that did not break
the antenna wire. I am sure that you have also. A little slack in the wire
would give even more assurance.

Duane

Old September 16th 05, 01:45 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:06:34 -0500, Duane Eisenbeiss wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
When the fuselage gets broken, so does the antenna lead. UH

Not necessarily. I have seen several broken fuselages that did not break
the antenna wire. I am sure that you have also. A little slack in the
wire would give even more assurance.

...or run it near to the rudder cables. *They* don't break. Often.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Old September 16th 05, 06:58 PM
Eric Greenwell

Martin Gregorie wrote:

Not necessarily. I have seen several broken fuselages that did not break
the antenna wire. I am sure that you have also. A little slack in the
wire would give even more assurance.

..or run it near to the rudder cables. *They* don't break. Often.

Considering the size of my tail boom, I don't see how it is possible to
do otherwise.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old September 16th 05, 08:19 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:58:24 -0700, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote:

..or run it near to the rudder cables. *They* don't break. Often.

Considering the size of my tail boom, I don't see how it is possible to
do otherwise.

Fair comment. I've only seen the inside of an ASW-20 boom. In that the
rudder cables run down each side in plastic tubes. I thought this was
typical for all cable-operated rudder circuits.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK