Gap Tape 30 rolls for US$40

Old September 20th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TJ[_1_]

Default Gap Tape 30 rolls for US$40

Hi,

End of the season sale. 30 rolls of
white gap tape for US$40 (post paid
in the US).

End of the season and a few boxes of tape
left. Go together with a friend and stock up
for next year. Tape is 1 inch wide and approximately
30 meters long.

TJ -

Old September 20th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

TJ wrote:
End of the season sale. 30 rolls of
white gap tape for US$40 (post paid
in the US).

What brand?

Old September 20th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

TJ wrote:
Hi,

End of the season sale. 30 rolls of
white gap tape for US$40 (post paid
in the US).

End of the season and a few boxes of tape
left. Go together with a friend and stock up
for next year. Tape is 1 inch wide and approximately
30 meters long.

TJ -

This sounds like the cheap off-brand variety which leaves a gummy
residue when removed. I now only use 3M white electrical tape; it is
about 3x the price, but worth it because you don't have to clean up the
mess left by cheap tape. I also find that I can use it twice if I am
careful, which makes the price differential insignificant.

I also have started taping just the upper gap (with a few inches on the
bottom of the wing). I have long suspected that that was all the
sealing necessary because it is high pressure air bleeding thru to the
upper, low pressure, air foil that creates the extra drag. Well, I got
a chance to test that hypothesis last weekend. I taped only the upper
gaps of my DG-400/17 and flew with a friend, who also owns a DG-400, on
a cross country flight in the same general region. We both were
carrying flight recorders and compared our flight statistics (from
SeeYou 3.4) after the flight. Rudy reported an average glide angle of
45.5, while I had 46.7. This, however, is not adjusted for our slightly
different wing loadings (I am probably 25 lbs heavier). I hope to do
some side-by-side glide tests in the future (weather permitting).

Tom Seim
2G
Richland, WA

Richland, WA

Old September 21st 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Edward Winchester wrote:
At 19:24 20 September 2006, wrote:

This sounds like the cheap off-brand variety which
leaves a gummy
residue when removed. I now only use 3M white electrical
tape

You can say what it 'sounds like' all you want. I
have some of this tape. It works fine, is just a bit
wider, but also thinner than 3m, which I was using
before. I have never seen any adhesive residue, even
100 degree days. This is a great deal. It might not
be as good as the $7 per roll thin mylar tape, but
it's probably better than the 3M. At this price, I
may buy some more, and I still have 19 rolls from the
last buy. And, if I remember right, when this is gone,
it's gone.

TJ, tell them the story of how you came to have this
tape.

Ed

Ed, think this through; is a product that costs one fourth the price of
another product going to use the same materials, especially a product
dominated by material cost? I don't think so. The performance I have
seen of tapes in this price category, sold by Home Depot and Loew's, is
exactly as I stated. This stuff is of unknown origin; go buy if you
want, it matters not to me. What I do know is that 3M tape works
exceptionally well and will be available tomorrow, a year from tomorrow
and a decade from tomorrow.

Tom

Old September 21st 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

And an excellent tape that is bright white, very stretchy and sticks
very well is sold by Mike Bowlus.
"BOWLUS MAXI GAP SEAL TAPE. Bright white, 400%+ stretch, easy clean up,
1 in. x 36 yd. - 6/$45.00 ($7.50/roll) plus shipping."

Visit http://www.ssa.org, click on "soaring store" / classifieds, then
search for Bowlus for contact info.

-Tom

Old September 21st 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I sell both the 3M Polyethylene tape and the Bowlus Maxi Tape (also made
using Polyethylene).

You can see details he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/tape.htm

I started stocking and selling the Bowlus Maxi Tape because Carl Herold told
me that he prefers Bowlus Maxi Gap Seal Tape to the 3M tape because it lasts
longer before cracking or splitting. He keeps his Nimbus 3DM assembled for
long periods of time - sitting out in the sun. The UV protection seems to
increase the life of the tape. He believes that the 3M tape ages more
rapidly.

Both products are much better quality than the vinyl tape you can buy at
hardware stores. The low cost stuff works great for some glider pilots. I
prefer the good stuff.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

oups.com...

Old September 24th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

wrote:
Edward Winchester wrote:
At 19:24 20 September 2006,
wrote:
[...]

I'm with Ed on this one: I bought a roll and tried it, and it worked
almost as well as the 3M tape I normally use, "almost" meaning I decided
I didn't like the wider width. There might have been a _slight_ amount
of additional adhesive left behind compared to the 3m tape, but not
enough to matter to me. Even the 3M leaves a residue I have to clean off
every so often.

I derig after every flight, so I can't tell you if it's the stuff to use
when you leave the glider rigged for weeks.

--
Note: email address new as of 9/4/2006

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

10 rolls gap tape $20 postpaid in US TJ Soaring 0 April 29th 06 06:31 PM
60 Year Old Duct Tape Jay Honeck Piloting 11 January 15th 06 06:52 PM
FS: 1 inch (25mm) Gap Tape $1.25 a roll TJ Soaring 0 November 30th 05 03:34 AM
Gap Tape TJ Soaring 0 October 22nd 05 04:18 AM
Premium 3M (483) Poly Tape Soaring 1 November 27th 03 05:41 AM