Professionally built?

Old November 27th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
es330td

Default Professionally built?

I searched controller.com for lancair and found an entry that says
"Professionally built." Now I know that a homebuilt owner does not
have to build the entire thing themself but I thought it still had to
be an amateur undertaking. How does this pass muster with the FAA?
Old November 27th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

es330td wrote:
I searched controller.com for lancair and found an entry that says
"Professionally built." Now I know that a homebuilt owner does not
have to build the entire thing themself but I thought it still had to
be an amateur undertaking. How does this pass muster with the FAA?

If it is really built for anything other than the education and
entertainment of the builder it is illegal. There is nothing in the regs
though that would stop an A&P from building for education and entertainment
and then selling it.

Old November 27th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Nov 27, 12:32 pm, es330td wrote:
I searched controller.com for lancair and found an entry that says
"Professionally built." Now I know that a homebuilt owner does not
have to build the entire thing themself but I thought it still had to
be an amateur undertaking. How does this pass muster with the FAA?

"Professionally Built" isn't a problem for Experimental aircraft. Many
aircraft were so built and subequently issued Experimental Racing and
Experimental Exhibition special airworthiness certificates.

However, it can be a big problem for an aircraft issued an
Experimental Amateur-Built special airworthiness certificate. The
rules are pretty clear that the major part of such aircraft are to be
constructed by folks who undertook the work solely for the purposes of
education and entertainment, that is, without money changing hands.
The word "Professional" implies here, as it does in the sports world,
financial transactions that likely violate the spirit if not the
letter of the Amateur-Built rules.

In at least one prior case, the FAA has moved a non-"51% rule"
aircraft out of Amateur-Built and into Racing or Exhibition. While
this is a relative non-issue for a glider or a single-seat acro
airplane, the additional operating limitations and Program Letter
requirements can put a huge onerous kink in your plans for a four-seat
cruiser.

Checking the controller.com site, I find not one but three Lancairs
that claim "professional construction," and at least one of those
lists a corporate entity as the manufacturer. Hopefully it's a non-
profit corporation...

I'm thinking that the sellers might be folks who haven't observed that
the FAA seems to have been cracking down on hired gunmanship, and that
they seem to be using sport aviation publications and circulars to do
it.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old November 27th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Bob Kuykendall said:
Checking the controller.com site, I find not one but three Lancairs
that claim "professional construction," and at least one of those
lists a corporate entity as the manufacturer. Hopefully it's a non-
profit corporation...

I'm thinking that the sellers might be folks who haven't observed that
the FAA seems to have been cracking down on hired gunmanship, and that
they seem to be using sport aviation publications and circulars to do
it.

Or maybe they want to unload it before the FAA gets to them.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I'm a person who can't understand why everyone in the entire nation
Old November 28th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
[...]

From all I've read, the "51% Rule" is "clear as mud."

The owner/builder/applicant must have learned/demonstrated 51% of the
necessary tasks to assemble/build the aircraft. That might leave room for a
fascinating variety of imaginative interpretations.

Generally, I have read that the owner/builder/applicant should have
personally built/constructed at least one of 51% of the diferent items
specifically built for the aircraft. In other words; bolts, washers, and
rivets would not count. OTOH; ribs, gussets, and rivets that have been
pulled/driven would count.

Just because I intend to build it myself does not mean that it is required
by anything other than personal pride ... and bull-headedness.

Obviously, opinions vary and the issue is not likely to be fully resolved in
any of our lifetimes.

Peter
Just my $0.02

Old November 28th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"es330td" wrote in message
I searched controller.com for lancair and found an entry that says
"Professionally built." Now I know that a homebuilt owner does not
have to build the entire thing themself but I thought it still had to
be an amateur undertaking. How does this pass muster with the FAA?

I have no idea who is selling the aircraft you mention, but "professionally
built" is often just a buzz word used in attempt to say the builder of the
particular aircraft was "special" compared to most. I have seen this stated
because an A&P had built the aircraft. He felt it was professionally built
because he works on aircraft every day for a living. As opposed to an
experimental that has been built by a postal worker, lawyer, doctor, etc. I
think the main thing to remember is when it comes to what you will be
receiving, it might not mean zip! The quality of every experimental airplane
comes down to the skill, integrity and interest in "whoever" built it, and
has little to do with what they do for a living. Just think of it as a
laundry detergent that is "new and improved", or "fortified", etc. You know
the drill. Walk through a supermarket.

Old November 28th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Natalie

es330td wrote:
I searched controller.com for lancair and found an entry that says
"Professionally built." Now I know that a homebuilt owner does not
have to build the entire thing themself but I thought it still had to
be an amateur undertaking. How does this pass muster with the FAA?

The words PROFESSIONAL and AMATEUR are not mutually exclusive.
Get a dictionary.
Old November 28th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:06:28 -0500, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

From all I've read, the "51% Rule" is "clear as mud."

The owner/builder/applicant must have learned/demonstrated 51% of the
necessary tasks to assemble/build the aircraft. That might leave room for a
fascinating variety of imaginative interpretations.

Generally, I have read that the owner/builder/applicant should have
personally built/constructed at least one of 51% of the diferent items
specifically built for the aircraft. In other words; bolts, washers, and
rivets would not count. OTOH; ribs, gussets, and rivets that have been
pulled/driven would count.

many years ago a judge was making a determination in a case where he
needed to establish whether the chap had an interest in an aircraft.
as i recall a feature in the case was proven if the guy had built most
of the aircraft. the judge made an off the cuff decision that if the
chap had built more than half his case was accepted.
a deciding majority legally is 51%.

51% has actually no more significance than something established as
part of a case many years ago.

what is actually required is structurally safe aircraft.

the fact that 51% has taken such hold in the environment is just
nonsense. The FAA should really get some focus back in the
environment.

"51%" is a silly distraction in the world of aviation safety.

Stealth Pilot
Old November 28th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Maxwell" wrote:

"es330td" wrote in message
[...]

The "professionally built" term really doesn't amount to a hill of
beans. A friend here bought a Harmon Rocket that an A&P built. The metal
work was good, but the engine installation was very poor. I coined the
term "flyable but not airworthy" to describe the plane as purchased.

He could not maintain cruise power in vevel flight without overtemping
the oil. Our "Spruce Creek Skunk Works" took on the job of sorting it
out.

What we found (and corrected):

1. The oil cooler had insufficient airflow (both in and out). Remember
-- any cooling MUST provide an exit path for the air, as well as an
entry path. This installaltion had neither.

2. There was no blockage of cooling air in the nose bowl behind the
spinner, allowing air to exit behind the spinner. We installed the
appropriate baffles and seals there.

3. The air entering the cowling inlets passed over a sharp lip behind
the inlets. We added some internal fairing to the inlets.

4. Baffle seals were poorly thought out, allowing air to leak out the
top of the baffles, rather than passing over the cylinder fins.

5. Exhaust pipes were cantilevered, creating the opportunity for fatigue
failure. We added some support to reduce stress there.

6. The owner had the pipes ceramic coated, both inside and out, to
reduce heat transfer into the engine compartment. IMHO, it is more
important to coat the INSIDE of an exhaust pipe than the outside -- to
reduce heat transfer into the metal.

Result: The plane runs cool and FAST!
Old November 28th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Peter Dohm wrote:

Just because I intend to build it myself does not mean that it is
required by anything other than personal pride ... and bull-
headedness.
Obviously, opinions vary and the issue is not likely to be fully
resolved in any of our lifetimes.

The 51% rule isn't really what's in question here. It's the "education and
entertainment" clause of the rule. While I agree that too is clear as mud it
wouldn't take the FAA long to notify it DARs and FSDO to just stop issuing
AW certs to someone.

No fine needed. Somebody invests $100K in a plane they think is they are
going to sell as soon as they finish.

I have a friend that bought an RV-8 from a "professional builder." The Hobbs
and log showed a little over 40 hours and that it was out of phase 1
testing. On the way home from Chicago the engine died in flight. My friend
landed the aircraft in a field with no damage.

He had an A&P from the local airport come out and look at it and after
various items made the A&P believe that the plane had less than 10 hours on
it. A look through the memory of the EIS supported this. My friend had his
lawyer call the builder and explain that the check had had a stop pay put on
it and that the plane was at and airport in Missouri and that if my friend
ever heard from him again that the FAA would be notified of the issues. He
never heard from the builder again.

GPS Chips Can Now Be Built In To Almost Anything reasi Instrument Flight Rules 0 October 30th 07 12:18 PM
Trainer built in Florida? GM Soaring 2 May 8th 07 10:34 AM
ION aircraft being built at ANE Montblack Home Built 11 January 3rd 07 11:41 PM
the first NAV computer; who built and used one? John Firth Soaring 0 April 3rd 06 10:07 PM
How many Lycomings built? Ben Hallert Home Built 6 January 30th 06 02:50 AM