"open source" video project for glider ratings

Old November 23rd 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default "open source" video project for glider ratings

I suspect useful videos of many aspects might be made using simulators
rather than live action. Videos could be produced this way much more
quickly, easily, and cheaply than going to the gliding club and climbing
into a glider. Good winter time fun, too!

I think you are on to something here Eric, but I will emphasize it a
slightly different direction. Rather than a production geared at
trying to teach stick&rudder/rules&regs etc using any old sim, what
about a decent video tutorial series on how to use Condor for
legitimate training rather than just playing a video game. Kinda like
Frank's (excellent) Condor Corner in Soaring Magazine, but a video
version specifically geared towards steering non-rated pilots (and
beyond...) towards realistic scenarios/settings/hardware
recommendations, resulting in safe and applicable habits. This could
easily be non-regional, and there are many thousands of Condor pilots
already out there. The cash investment to bring it up to minimum level
is really small compared to actual training, and could significantly
reduce the time/$ needed for prospective pilots to achieve their
rating. It also keeps people that can't afford to fly current and
interested... I've got lots to share for the hardware tutorial

Related note- my own simpit is getting pretty immersive. Easily and
cheaply made from a recumbent Schwinn exercise bike (model 205p:
http://tinyurl.com/24l2wnf , which seem readily available for $20-
$50 on craigslist etc. It is really easy to move around since I put
wheels on it, and this thing is *very solid, with a fully adjustable
seat (had my 6'2" 270lb friend flying it no prob). I'm trying to make
it really easy/cheap to follow suit as well. Just about to get the
release knob wired up. I bought some Aeronca Champ pedals on ebay and
did some quick/dirty hardware work/joystick hacking and wala! I park
it in front of my projector screen and it's getting very satisfying.
I'm going to make a separate post with pics etc about this soon, but
in a nutshell...

tl:dr: A video version of 'Condor Corner' geared towards getting
individuals able to use Condor as a *real training/currency tool for
the ab-initio and beyond

-Paul
Old November 23rd 10, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Nov 23, 1:34*pm, sisu1a wrote:
[...]

Now this is something I like. Video + Condor integrated training
suite.

However, I don't think a video will ever replace a real live flight
instructor even with Condor. If the student is doing something wrong,
the video can't analyze the student's performance and offer a critique.
Old November 23rd 10, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 11/23/2010 12:49 PM, bildan wrote:
On Nov 23, 1:34 pm, wrote:
I suspect useful videos of many aspects might be made using simulators
rather than live action. Videos could be produced this way much more
quickly, easily, and cheaply than going to the gliding club and climbing
into a glider. Good winter time fun, too!

I think you are on to something here Eric, but I will emphasize it a
slightly different direction. Rather than a production geared at
trying to teach stick&rudder/rules&regs etc using any old sim, what
about a decent video tutorial series on how to use Condor for
legitimate training rather than just playing a video game. Kinda like
Frank's (excellent) Condor Corner in Soaring Magazine, but a video
version specifically geared towards steering non-rated pilots (and
beyond...) towards realistic scenarios/settings/hardware
recommendations, resulting in safe and applicable habits.

snip

tl:dr: A video version of 'Condor Corner' geared towards getting
individuals able to use Condor as a *real training/currency tool for
the ab-initio and beyond

-Paul

Now this is something I like. Video + Condor integrated training
suite.

However, I don't think a video will ever replace a real live flight
instructor even with Condor. If the student is doing something wrong,
the video can't analyze the student's performance and offer a critique.

Could a real, live instructor snow bound in Boulder have his student
(snow bound in Fort Collins) fly Condor, while the instructor's monitor
displays the student's flight, and talk to the student while he's doing
it? All on his computer?

I imagine him "flying" with two or three students at once, or the other
students "going along for the ride" while he instructs one of them.

email me)
Old November 23rd 10, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 11/23/2010 1:28 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 11/23/2010 12:49 PM, bildan wrote:

However, I don't think a video will ever replace a real live flight
instructor even with Condor. If the student is doing something wrong,
the video can't analyze the student's performance and offer a critique.

Could a real, live instructor snow bound in Boulder have his student
(snow bound in Fort Collins) fly Condor, while the instructor's monitor
displays the student's flight, and talk to the student while he's doing
it? All on his computer?

I imagine him "flying" with two or three students at once, or the other
students "going along for the ride" while he instructs one of them.

Here's a fun idea: Tom Knauff gives intensive ridge running instruction,
in the middle of the worst winter storm Pennsylvania has ever seen, to a
pilot in Florida, using Condor and the internet. Tom gets some income,
the pilot gets some great instruction, and is 96% up to speed before he
even gets to the ridge next April.

Or maybe a Minden wave flight between 20,000 and 30,000 with Gordon or Jim?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old November 23rd 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RL

FWIW – Philadelphia Glider Council conducts a very comprehensive
ground school that is a close equivalent to a King or Sporty’s
training course. It’s a 20-hour program that fulfils the FAA ground
instruction requirements and provides an excellent tutorial for both
the private and commercial written exam. It’s not on video (yet), but
the faculty uses some rather sophisticated PowerPoint presentations
and the subject matter has been well refined over the years. Here are
the topics that are keyed to the FAR requirements:

- Weather Services
- Critical Weather
- Flight Instruments
- Pre-Flight Procedures
- Sailplane Aerodynamics
- Effects of Density Altitude
- Flight Limitations
- Emergency Procedures
- Off-Field Landings
- Aeromedical Factors
- Aeronautical Decision Making
- Collision Avoidance
- Cross-Country Planning
- Sectional Charts
- The Airspace System
- Communications
- Weight & Balance
- Pilot Privileges
- FAR’s for Glider Pilots
- Documents & Certificates
- Flight Maneuvers
- Prepping for the Checkride

If there is a need and some glider community interest maybe we would
consider developing a video format.

Bob

Old November 24th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Eric,

Scott Manley has done some remote Condor flight instruction, but he could
not see the pilot's screen. They both flew similar flights at the same
time. He tried web conferencing to screen share, but it was too slow. You
can screenshare with Skype for free, but I don't think it would be fast
enough for instruction. Someday that will be a nice option. It would be
possible now if Condor could share only the glider position, etc. over a web
connection - as is done in the Condor contest flying. But it doesn't
currently support remote connections for instruction. It would also be cool
if the instructor could be flying from the back seat! Maybe if enough
people ask Condor for that feature they will put it in.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
me)

Old November 24th 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Nov 23, 2:28*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Could a real, live instructor snow bound in Boulder have his student
(snow bound in Fort Collins) fly Condor, while the instructor's monitor
displays the student's flight, and talk to the student while he's doing
it? All on his computer?

I think this can be done with current software on a 1:1 basis if the
instructor only sees the condor screen. However, I'm concerned some
cues might be missed by the instructor without the ability to actually
watch the student as well as the simulator.

What does work is a classroom setting with one student 'flying' and
several other watching the performance. Students sometimes learn more
from others mistakes than from an instructors perfect demonstration.
It also sometimes helps a students self confidence to see others
making the same mistakes.

At its simplest, a flight simulator can be used as an "animated white
board" where the instructor describes a maneuver while flying the
simulator. This is actually very useful.

If the student is to fly the simulator, the "simpit", as Paul calls
it, has to be at least a fair analogue of a real glider. You don't
need a 360 degree dome projection or a motion base but the flight
controls have to be realistically placed with plausible force feedback.