How to - Tint a Plexiglass Canopy

Old June 17th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spam

Default How to - Tint a Plexiglass Canopy

I would like to tint the canopy on my asw-15.

I have heard that plexiglass does have gasses that are constantly
released and will damage regular car tint applied to it. Would static
cling tint sold from homedepot work for it?

Anyone ever seen or heard of a glider tinted with film?

The curvature shouldn't be a problem, I have a window tint side
business for cars. I will need to cut the tint directly on the
canopy. My only thought to not scratch it will be to place a thin
flexible peice of metal strip behind the tint while cutting it.

Any ideas?
Old June 17th 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Ruf

*Would static
cling tint sold from homedepot work for it?

I have a small area of the static cling over/behind my head. I put it
in an area that I almost never need to look through. I was just
hoping to cut down on some heat. I did not need to join any
additional pieces so that is not a problem.
When sitting out in the sun the section of the canopy with the tint
gets much hotter than the clear areas. I have not had any issue but I
try to keep the canopy cover on when on the ground so differential
heating does not become problematic.
Chris
Old June 17th 09, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus

On 17 juin, 04:25, Chris Ruf wrote:
*Would static
cling tint sold from homedepot work for it?

I have a small area of the static cling over/behind my head. *I put it
in an area that I almost never need to look through. *I was just
hoping to cut down on some heat. *I did not need to join any
additional pieces so that is not a problem.
When sitting out in the sun the section of the canopy with the tint
gets much hotter than the clear areas. *I have not had any issue but I
try to keep the canopy cover on when on the ground so differential
heating does not become problematic.
Chris

Im interetsed by how you did it. Unfortunately, text gives no idea
about details. Would you be kind to post pictures of your canopy?
Cheers,
Bruno

canopy tint bagmaker Soaring 21 August 9th 08 02:38 AM
Plexiglass problem Klettke Home Built 4 July 31st 07 09:57 PM
Plexiglass Glue Jim Vincent Soaring 6 March 23rd 07 08:25 PM
Bonding Plexiglass David Melby Cavalier Home Built 5 November 21st 06 12:20 AM
Windshields - tint or clear? Roger Long Piloting 7 February 10th 04 02:41 AM