Silicon free polishes?

Old September 28th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default Silicon free polishes?

On Sep 28, 2:09*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:46:49 +0100, Nick Hill wrote:
I have used Sparkle before but cannot now find a local UK outlet. Do you
know of UK suppliers?

I can't find any UK suppliers either. However, I did discover that AFE
and Severn Valley Sailplanes stock Meguiars canopy polish, which got an
honorable mention earlier in this thread. They also have Plexus canopy
polish. Anybody know anything about this stuff?.

Severn also stock Mer, just in case you can't get it from the local
Halfords.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I've been using Plexus for over 10 years and love it - works great in
both dusty (no static after application) and humid climates.

After a lot of applications, it can get a bit hazy, then just using
water and a clean cloth will clean it up.

I keep a can and an old - but clean - tshirt in my car, and use it on
any glider or towplane I'm about to fly; it's amazing what most club
ship canopies look like!

Highly recommended.

Kirk
LS6-b "66"
Old September 28th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:49:49 -0700, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Mer's lack of clear marketing is more a headscratcher.

Maybe they're not so unclear after all - see below.

There are sites
claiming Mer products are silicone free. As for the Mer website
"silicon" content (note they say silicon not silicone). Who knows what
they mean to say but likely most *polishes* do contain silicon dioxide
or similar.

I wrote "silicone" because I assumed they'd misspelled it, given that so
many polishes contain silicones. So blame me for that.

As I said, the Mer MSDS only mentions EINECS 265-150-3 (hydro-treated
heavy naptha) and CAS 64742-48-9 (non-aromatic hydrocarbon solvents). The
risk-phrase codings translate as follows:

[-]R10 = Flammable.
[Xn] R65 = Harmful: may cause lung damage if swallowed.
[-] R66 = Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness or cracking.

That's everything in MSDS section 3 (Composition).

Now whether they contain one of the silicone oils is a
different question.

Presumably, you would expect silicones to appear in an MSDS if they are
product ingredients, so the implication is that there are indeed no
silicones in this polish.

It could make sense to put silicon in this type of product to act as a
mild abrasive because its fairly inert and only moderately hard (7 on
Moh's scale, same as quartz, so toward the soft end of most industrial
abrasives).

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 29th 09, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill

Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:46:49 +0100, Nick Hill wrote:

I have used Sparkle before but cannot now find a local UK outlet. Do you
know of UK suppliers?

I can't find any UK suppliers either. However, I did discover that AFE
and Severn Valley Sailplanes stock Meguiars canopy polish, which got an
honorable mention earlier in this thread. They also have Plexus canopy
polish. Anybody know anything about this stuff?.

Severn also stock Mer, just in case you can't get it from the local
Halfords.

I've used Plexus and it is pretty good but some people at my club reckon
that Sparkle was better, in the old days when you could find it in the UK!

Nick