New Vent!

Old December 8th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Ash

Default New Vent!

In article ,
Don Johnstone wrote:

Do you blokes suffer from major flatulence problems? Seems a lot of effort
to remove air from the cockpit but I could understand if the air was
contaminated in some way :-)

Around here (northern Virginia) there's a month or two of summer where I
spend pretty much the entire flight with my hand stuck outside to get as
much air in as possible to try to stay cool. On one miserably hot day
this past July I had to cut a flight short as I began to seriously
overheat despite all my best efforts. I have one of Paul's extractors on
order and I'm hoping it'll make next summer much more pleasant.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old December 8th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

from Paul (sisu1a):
..... *But as I understand it, the
pressure at the tail is kinda on a ship by ship basis. Some ships even
suck water up the tailpipe when blowing ballast, which is a pretty
good indicator of a poor choice for a 'low pressure' location.

Paul (ALL)

I have this problem with my Genesis 2 (both water and "other" fluids).

Does this come from a "venturi" effect of air leaking from Horz/Vert
Stab Junction or poor Rudder Sealing? It amazes me how much gets
sucked back into fuselage. (Genesis has VERY short fuselage)

Another Genesis owner (DK) has experimented with an exit duct out the
fuse hatch over wings. ... comments Don???

Curt - 95
Old December 8th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 8, 12:46*pm, CLewis95 wrote:
from Paul (sisu1a):

..... *But as I understand it, the
pressure at the tail is kinda on a ship by ship basis. Some ships even
suck water up the tailpipe when blowing ballast, which is a pretty
good indicator of a poor choice for a 'low pressure' location.

Paul (ALL)

I have this problem with my Genesis 2 (both water and "other" fluids).

Does this come from a "venturi" effect of air leaking from Horz/Vert
Stab Junction or poor Rudder Sealing? *It amazes me how much gets
sucked back into fuselage. *(Genesis has VERY short fuselage)

Another Genesis owner (DK) has experimented with an exit duct out the
fuse hatch over wings. ... comments Don???

Curt - 95

Likely due to pressure recoveing over the very short length of
fuselage and large reduction in cross section
over that length. High location closer to centerline would probably
better in order to avoid effects on root fillet
area.
Just speculating- It's cold here.
UH
Old December 8th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderDK

I have this problem with my Genesis 2 (both water and "other" fluids).

Does this come from a "venturi" effect of air leaking from Horz/Vert
Stab Junction or poor Rudder Sealing? *It amazes me how much gets
sucked back into fuselage. *(Genesis has VERY short fuselage)

Another Genesis owner (DK) has experimented with an exit duct out the
fuse hatch over wings. ... comments Don???

Curt - 95

I have had an air outlet on my Genesis2 for several years. It was
modeled after the outlet on DB's ASW-22. It seems to work very well.
Curt is correct that on a Genesis 2, dumped water ballast will enter
the fuselage thru the fairings over the rudder horns. These fairings
are suppose to be the air outlets. I have taken photos of that area
with tufts taped around the fairings. And indeed the tufts turn and
are sucked into the "outlets".

Don (DK)
Old December 8th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 7, 12:47*pm, Don Johnstone wrote:
Do you blokes suffer from major flatulence problems? Seems a lot of effort
to remove air from the cockpit but I could understand if the air was
contaminated in some way :-)

At issue is that ventilation air tends to pressurize the cockpit, and
then leak out around the canopy perimeter. Anywhere that there is air
escaping through the canopy frame gap, that leak will trip the
boundary layer and increase drag. If you can keep the cockpit at lower
than ambient pressure, you run a good chance of maintaining laminar
flow across the gap between the fuselage and the canopy, which can
result in several more square feet of laminar flow than you had
previously.

I happen to think that many original designers got it right; that the
most effective vent is back at the base of the rudder, where it is
convenient to exhaust air around the rudder cable horns.
Unfortunately, something often got lost in translation, and most
production gliders allow too little exhaust area through the vertical
fin spar, causing inadequate ventilation flow and too much cockpit
pressure. They also offer many restrictions on the path from the
cockpit to the tailboom, which reduces the flow rate.

So I think that these trendy exhaust vents, while perhaps not the best
possible solution, are still a lot better than you can get without
removing the rudder and doing some relatively major surgery on the fin
spar.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com
Old December 8th 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Dec 8, 11:20*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
[...]

.... and as JS pointed out, many of us fly where it is REALLY hot, with
ambient temperatures of 43c, 110f, and closed cockpit temperature over
55c, 130f. It doesn't take long at that temperature to ruin an
otherwise great flying day.
Old December 9th 10, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

What keeps rain, wasps, mice, etc. from entering the vent hole when on
the ground?
Old December 9th 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 9, 3:11*am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
What keeps rain, wasps, mice, etc. from entering the vent hole when on
the ground?

We don't have mice running around on our launch grid and rarely grid
in the rain. Guess I just didn't think
about those problems.
UH
Old December 9th 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Jeffery[_2_]

At 08:11 09 December 2010, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
What keeps rain, wasps, mice, etc. from entering the vent hole when on
the ground?

Canopy cover?

Old December 9th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Francisco De Almeida[_2_]

My two cents:

- complementing the post by Bob Kuykendal, and as an example, the air
passage though the tailfin spar of an LS8 is comprised of three small
holes with a combined area of barely 3 square inches. Added to the other
constrictions along the way, this means the ventilation pressure drop
occurs mostly after the cockpit. Thus, of course the cockpit will stay
significantly above ambient pressure in an unmodified LS fuselage.

- regarding the reingestion of ballast water (or pee...) at the end of the
tailboom, perhaps it is linked to lower pressures at the top end of the
rudder hinge? The location of the horizontal tailplane on the Genesis
would suggest suction occurs there.

- finally, and after applauding the designers of all these fine new
outlets, perhaps the next step is to locate the inlet in a neutral or even
a low pressure area? Why, you may ask? Because there is no reason in
principle to pursue the highest possible ventilation pressure drop.

With a nose inlet and a turtleneck exit, the total ventilation pressure
drop approaches twice the dynamic pressure of the outside free flow (i.e.
the pressure coefficients may approach +1 at the nose and -1 at the
turtleneck). The power lost to the ventilation flow is the product of this
pressure drop by the flow rate, e.g. at 100 kts a flow rate of 20
litres/second costs 30 Watts. This power is subtracted from the
performance of the glider.

If the inlet is located instead in a neutral pressure area (and the
cross-sections are suitably sized), the same cooling flow will cost only
15 Watts - and the cockpit will achieve an even lower pressure than
before, which is doubly good for performance!

Going further: an inlet may even be located in a moderately negative
pressure area (I envision exchanging the pop-out window for a small
naca-entry connected to a small eyeball vent). The Cp at this location is
about -0.7; with partial pressure recovery, perhaps we get -0.3 in the
cockpit. As the pressure at the turtleneck exit remains even lower, it is
still possible to create an effective airflow. Result: the most
energy-efficient ventilation possible.

Sounds counterintuitive, but should work and be easy to implement in a new
design (existing designs may be constrained by the impossibility of
increasing the cross-section of inlets).

Quiet Vent Ron (RW) Soaring 26 June 30th 18 04:31 PM
JS-1 Exhaust Vent sisu1a Soaring 16 July 27th 10 03:32 AM
Quiet Vent Ramy Soaring 6 October 27th 06 05:27 AM
337 for vent covers? Robert M. Gary Owning 14 November 12th 05 05:31 PM
Eye Ball Vent B. Iten Soaring 4 September 4th 04 09:38 AM