New Vent!

Old December 9th 10, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Francisco De Almeida[_2_]

Default New Vent!

My two cents:

- complementing the post by Bob Kuykendal, and as an example, the air
passage though the tailfin spar of an LS8 is comprised of three small
holes with a combined area of barely 3 square inches. Added to the other
constrictions along the way, this means the ventilation pressure drop
occurs mostly after the cockpit. Thus, of course the cockpit will stay
significantly above ambient pressure in an unmodified LS fuselage.

- regarding the reingestion of ballast water (or pee...) at the end of the
tailboom, perhaps it is linked to lower pressures at the top end of the
rudder hinge? The location of the horizontal tailplane on the Genesis
would suggest suction occurs there.

- finally, and after applauding the designers of all these fine new
outlets, perhaps the next step is to locate the inlet in a neutral or even
a low pressure area? Why, you may ask? Because there is no reason in
principle to pursue the highest possible ventilation pressure drop.

With a nose inlet and a turtleneck exit, the total ventilation pressure
drop approaches twice the dynamic pressure of the outside free flow (i.e.
the pressure coefficients may approach +1 at the nose and -1 at the
turtleneck). The power lost to the ventilation flow is the product of this
pressure drop by the flow rate, e.g. at 100 kts a flow rate of 20
litres/second costs 30 Watts. This power is subtracted from the
performance of the glider.

If the inlet is located instead in a neutral pressure area (and the
cross-sections are suitably sized), the same cooling flow will cost only
15 Watts - and the cockpit will achieve an even lower pressure than
before, which is doubly good for performance!

Going further: an inlet may even be located in a moderately negative
pressure area (I envision exchanging the pop-out window for a small
naca-entry connected to a small eyeball vent). The Cp at this location is
about -0.7; with partial pressure recovery, perhaps we get -0.3 in the
cockpit. As the pressure at the turtleneck exit remains even lower, it is
still possible to create an effective airflow. Result: the most
energy-efficient ventilation possible.

Sounds counterintuitive, but should work and be easy to implement in a new
design (existing designs may be constrained by the impossibility of
increasing the cross-section of inlets).

Old December 9th 10, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Dec 9, 3:11*am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
What keeps rain, wasps, mice, etc. from entering the vent hole when on
the ground?

The same thing that keeps them from coming in through: the apple core
window, the nose vent, the spar carry through, the wheel well, ie.
nothing :-)

Look at it this way - when the ship's assembled and on the line,
there are lots of easier ways for varmints to get in. When it's
disassmbled in the trailer, there are huge holes where the wings used
to be.
Old December 9th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 9, 1:36*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Dec 9, 3:11*am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:

What keeps rain, wasps, mice, etc. from entering the vent hole when on
the ground?

The same thing that keeps them from coming in through: *the apple core
window, the nose vent, *the spar carry through, the wheel well, *ie.
nothing *:-)

Look at it this way - *when the ship's assembled and on the line,
there are lots of easier ways for varmints to get in. *When it's
disassmbled in the trailer, there are huge holes where the wings used
to be.

Well rain could be an issue in flight particularly if all the inlet
vents are closed to keep the water out. Maybe the MkII version will
have a remote controlled closing flap.

I'm more interested in real performance numbers though. I don't mind
getting the back of my head wet a couple of times a year for a gain 50
fpm at 90 kts. 0.001 fpm at 90 kts and maybe it's not worth the risk
of getting wet.

Andy
Old December 10th 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 13:27:59 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I'm more interested in real performance numbers though. I don't mind
getting the back of my head wet a couple of times a year for a gain 50
fpm at 90 kts. 0.001 fpm at 90 kts and maybe it's not worth the risk
of getting wet.

If Francisco de Almeida's (Hi pal!) math is correct, and ventilation
at 100kts really costs 30W, then I believe we're talking about a
potential reduction in drag between 0,5% and 0,1%.

Well, my math isn't going to pass any tests...

aldo cernezzi

Quiet Vent Ron (RW) Soaring 26 June 30th 18 04:31 PM
JS-1 Exhaust Vent sisu1a Soaring 16 July 27th 10 03:32 AM
Quiet Vent Ramy Soaring 6 October 27th 06 05:27 AM
337 for vent covers? Robert M. Gary Owning 14 November 12th 05 05:31 PM
Eye Ball Vent B. Iten Soaring 4 September 4th 04 09:38 AM