1-26 Nationals?

Old July 18th 12, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default 1-26 Nationals?

Well, not necessarily. Devaluations, whether or not someone got a finish, etc. are all different in the 1-26 rules. So, for example, on the last day where scores are sort of posted, Team 428 shows up with 628 points. However, the written report suggests that they actually get 1000 points per the 1-26 rules. So, they may actually be in 1st place, not 4th. Maybe. Oh, and one of the two team pilots may have actually won the day. And he's not even 18 years old.
P3

Yes, on Day 4, Daniel did win the day in the 1-26 contest while being scored as a landout in the 13.5 meter contest. He didn't just win either, he killed us. I can say with certainty that the rest of us 13.5 meter guys are really glad he didn't find another 500 feet on that final glide. I think he did just turn 18 though, but he has over 1500 hrs of cross country racing on Condor. He does have 2 diamonds in a 1-26. He followed up the "half win" from Day 4 by winning both contests fairly and squarely today. This kid is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the future.
Old July 18th 12, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is something to be said for the regular rules, and Guy Byars'
excellent efforts to include swift score reporting to the SSA website
from winscore. I never quite understood why 1-26 needs to roll their
own.

John Cochrane

There is certainly something to be said for swift posting of results on the web page. Unfortunately we have not had this so far this year, but the 1-26 group has ROLLED THEIR OWN FOR YEARS. In fact the 1-26 group was the first group to allow GPS use during a contest. We also give more credit for miles achieved when you land out, and we still think the winner should get 1000 points no matter how many landouts there are. Why devalue a day because it is hard.

John, borrow or buy a 1-26 and come out and race with us. It is very different flying cross-country in low performance, and we would love to have you. This year we brought rain and weak conditions to TSA making it more challenging.

Next year looking at Moriarty!!! It is a hoot out there.

Kevin
192
Old July 18th 12, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So, just to clarify...The 1-26 contest is being scored by see you using the 1-26 rules, but the same 1-26 pilots are also on the super-regional scoresheet and being scored for two contests at the same time?

John Cochrane
Old July 19th 12, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:21:38 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
So, just to clarify...The 1-26 contest is being scored by see you using the 1-26 rules, but the same 1-26 pilots are also on the super-regional scoresheet and being scored for two contests at the same time?

John Cochrane

Yes, that is correct John.

The 1-26 breakfast and awards ceremony is in the morning. I'll try to put up a post on the SSA website with the final results tomorrow night when I get home.
Old July 19th 12, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:21:38 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
So, just to clarify...The 1-26 contest is being scored by see you using the 1-26 rules, but the same 1-26 pilots are also on the super-regional scoresheet and being scored for two contests at the same time?

John Cochrane

Correct.

In the past most years we have flown different task, but this year flying the same and all the 1-26s are included in the 13.5.

Because of the different rules, placings on some task are very different and you have to decide which rules you fly by to effect your score.

Kevin
192

Old July 20th 12, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I posted my final report of the contest, which includes what I remember of the 1-26 breakfast this morning with trophy winner and top 3. Check it out under the 13.5 Meter Contest Reports on www.ssa.org

http://www.ssa.org/members/contestre...isplay=results

Old July 23rd 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:16:45 AM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:
I think there's a Nationals going on, but I'm not sure. The contest is over in two days, and so far no word on who's winning or even if there are scores. Anybody have any intel?

The combined 13.5 meter and 1-26 Nationals was a really well run, fun and safe contest. The 1-26s won several days in less than perfect soaring conditions. It was especially good that several young men flew (and flew well) the contest (and provided the weather briefing).

I am looking forward to next year.

Bill Snead
6W
Old July 23rd 12, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The combined 13.5 meter and 1-26 Nationals was a really well run, fun and safe contest. The 1-26s won several days in less than perfect soaring conditions. It was especially good that several young men flew (and flew well) the contest (and provided the weather briefing).

I am looking forward to next year.

Bill Snead
6W

It's great you guys had a good contest. I'm especially glad to see both 1-26 and 13.5 meter come together and I hope this format thrives and expands. (We had 6 PW5 show up for the sky soaring weekend contest, so I hope there is some new blood for next year.)

From this distance though, a few points. According to the contest reports, there was one injury requiring medical attention. And one pilot scored a finish under 126 rules even though he landed short of the airport. Is this "safe?"

Also from a distance, the fact of no scoresheet is a bit of an annoyance. OK, you're flying 1954 gliders, but that doesn't mean we have to have 1954 scoring! The one cumulation of scores posted on day 6 left more questions open than answered. For example, why does every finisher have exactly 2:00.00 time on day 5? Clearly the poor scorer is doing a lot of fudging to get 1 26 rules and conventional scoring software to work together. Thanks to Tony final scores are hand copied to the daily report, but no final daily scoresheets to let us see how people did what they did.

The practice of posting scores, which is expected for all sanctioned contests, is important to contestants as well as the larger community can see what's going on and check if it's right.

John Cochrane
Old July 23rd 12, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Monday, July 23, 2012 9:06:58 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
> The combined 13.5 meter and 1-26 Nationals was a really well run, fun and safe contest. The 1-26s won several days in less than perfect soaring conditions. It was especially good that several young men flew (and flew well) the contest (and provided the weather briefing).
>
> I am looking forward to next year.
>
> Bill Snead
> 6W

It's great you guys had a good contest. I'm especially glad to see both 1-26 and 13.5 meter come together and I hope this format thrives and expands. (We had 6 PW5 show up for the sky soaring weekend contest, so I hope there is some new blood for next year.)

From this distance though, a few points. According to the contest reports, there was one injury requiring medical attention. And one pilot scored a finish under 126 rules even though he landed short of the airport. Is this "safe?"

Also from a distance, the fact of no scoresheet is a bit of an annoyance. OK, you're flying 1954 gliders, but that doesn't mean we have to have 1954 scoring! The one cumulation of scores posted on day 6 left more questions open than answered. For example, why does every finisher have exactly 2:00.00 time on day 5? Clearly the poor scorer is doing a lot of fudging to get 1 26 rules and conventional scoring software to work together. Thanks to Tony final scores are hand copied to the daily report, but no final daily scoresheets to let us see how people did what they did.

The practice of posting scores, which is expected for all sanctioned contests, is important to contestants as well as the larger community can see what's going on and check if it's right.

John Cochrane

Mel's back injury falls firmly under the category of things you can see from 10 feet that you can't see from 100 (or 1000 feet) when picking off field landing sites. Coupled with the lack of shock absorption in the 1-26 and he sprained his back. He was flying again after letting his teammate Cathy take over for a few days.

Daniel had investigated the fields short of the airport and knew what to expect from them. He told me that until the last mile or two he thought he had the airport made, and his trace backed that up.

I agree that scoring was frustrating for everyone involved. The Day 5 1-26 finishers (all 3 of them) show 2 hrs on course because they came in under time and 2 hrs was the minimum time for the day. I was just an observer but it seemed to me that the scoring with SeeYou was fairly automatic with the scripts that Terry got from Tom Pressley, the biggest problem was that Terry was unable to figure out a way (even after working with the SSA Webmaster) to get the SeeYou scoresheet up on the SSA website.
Old July 23rd 12, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Monday, 23 July 2012 08:06:58 UTC-6, (unknown) wrote:
> The combined 13.5 meter and 1-26 Nationals was a really well run, fun and safe contest. The 1-26s won several days in less than perfect soaring conditions. It was especially good that several young men flew (and flew well) the contest (and provided the weather briefing).
>
> I am looking forward to next year.
>
> Bill Snead
> 6W

It's great you guys had a good contest. I'm especially glad to see both 1-26 and 13.5 meter come together and I hope this format thrives and expands. (We had 6 PW5 show up for the sky soaring weekend contest, so I hope there is some new blood for next year.)

From this distance though, a few points. According to the contest reports, there was one injury requiring medical attention. And one pilot scored a finish under 126 rules even though he landed short of the airport. Is this "safe?"

Also from a distance, the fact of no scoresheet is a bit of an annoyance. OK, you're flying 1954 gliders, but that doesn't mean we have to have 1954 scoring! The one cumulation of scores posted on day 6 left more questions open than answered. For example, why does every finisher have exactly 2:00.00 time on day 5? Clearly the poor scorer is doing a lot of fudging to get 1 26 rules and conventional scoring software to work together. Thanks to Tony final scores are hand copied to the daily report, but no final daily scoresheets to let us see how people did what they did.

The practice of posting scores, which is expected for all sanctioned contests, is important to contestants as well as the larger community can see what's going on and check if it's right.

John Cochrane

It my understanding that the 1-26 class was scored using SeeYou Competition.. One facility available and integrated with SeeYou Competition is the ability to post to soaringspot.com, a site maintained by Naviter (developers of SeeYou) for posting contest results. I would suggest that the daily and final scores be posted there and a simple link in the SSA daily report be included.

Not sure if there is a charge for a small contest like this utilizing soaringspot.com but would be simple test.

Ron Gleason

East Coast Nationals-West Coast Nationals Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 3 September 28th 08 07:55 PM
US Nationals [email protected] Soaring 6 May 21st 08 04:22 AM
USA 15M Nationals Karl Striedieck Soaring 0 January 28th 08 04:53 PM
AU Nationals Mal Soaring 0 October 13th 06 02:35 PM
Location of 2006 US 18m nationals and Sports Class Nationals and 15m ? John Bojack Soaring 2 July 18th 05 02:45 PM