1-26 Nationals?

Old July 23rd 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default 1-26 Nationals?

On Monday, 23 July 2012 08:06:58 UTC-6, (unknown) wrote:
> The combined 13.5 meter and 1-26 Nationals was a really well run, fun and safe contest. The 1-26s won several days in less than perfect soaring conditions. It was especially good that several young men flew (and flew well) the contest (and provided the weather briefing).
>
> I am looking forward to next year.
>
> Bill Snead
> 6W

It's great you guys had a good contest. I'm especially glad to see both 1-26 and 13.5 meter come together and I hope this format thrives and expands. (We had 6 PW5 show up for the sky soaring weekend contest, so I hope there is some new blood for next year.)

From this distance though, a few points. According to the contest reports, there was one injury requiring medical attention. And one pilot scored a finish under 126 rules even though he landed short of the airport. Is this "safe?"

Also from a distance, the fact of no scoresheet is a bit of an annoyance. OK, you're flying 1954 gliders, but that doesn't mean we have to have 1954 scoring! The one cumulation of scores posted on day 6 left more questions open than answered. For example, why does every finisher have exactly 2:00.00 time on day 5? Clearly the poor scorer is doing a lot of fudging to get 1 26 rules and conventional scoring software to work together. Thanks to Tony final scores are hand copied to the daily report, but no final daily scoresheets to let us see how people did what they did.

The practice of posting scores, which is expected for all sanctioned contests, is important to contestants as well as the larger community can see what's going on and check if it's right.

John Cochrane

Since the 1-26 class was scored with SeeYou Competition I suggest that the scores be posted to www.soaringspot.com, a web site maintained by Naviter the developers of SeeYou, and has good integration with SeeYou Competition.

A simple link to the results can be included in the daily report or in the results section on the SSA website.

BTW, SeeYou Competition is being utilized for scoring the upcoming WGC2012 in Uvalde and is used by many other FAI sanctioned competitions.
Old July 23rd 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

First of all, Bill, Tom, Francois..... it was great to see you and fly with you again. I think we continue to make a good mix.

On scoring, we have used See You for years quite successfully, both with Tom Presley, and other scores since Tom. Tom has had all the scoring scripts incorporated into a file which was sent to the scorer before the contest. I also emailed to make sure it was sent. Our scorer was just going to use Winscore at first until it was pointed out that the rules were too different. He was not familiar with the See You Competition program and took a couple of days to get going. After he had things going a couple of us did the calculations to ensure things were working correctly. It was quite frustrating being there racing and not having a good idea of how you were doing. This was the first contest I have attended where daily sheets were not handed out. Day 5 ended up being an invalid 1-26 day, that was not noticed until the last evening and it had been included in the total score. This changed some of the final standings. Bob Hurni, Bill Vickland and my self stayed up until midnight checking through the totals to ensure everything was as accurate as we could make things.

This is one of the major potential problems with mixing the two groups, but is usually works a little smoother than it did this time.

We have a 14 day period for scores to be checked before making final. We hope to get all of the IGC files and get everything double checked before that time.

Kevin
192
Old July 26th 12, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:16:45 AM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:
I think there's a Nationals going on, but I'm not sure. The contest is over in two days, and so far no word on who's winning or even if there are scores. Anybody have any intel?

I had fun. I think the 1-26ers like their rules (they wrote their rules). When new people volunteer to do the jobs necessary to run contests, we should expect a learning curve. This sport should welcome and encourage new competitors and workers.

Bill Snead
6W

East Coast Nationals-West Coast Nationals Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 3 September 28th 08 07:55 PM
US Nationals [email protected] Soaring 6 May 21st 08 04:22 AM
USA 15M Nationals Karl Striedieck Soaring 0 January 28th 08 04:53 PM
AU Nationals Mal Soaring 0 October 13th 06 02:35 PM
Location of 2006 US 18m nationals and Sports Class Nationals and 15m ? John Bojack Soaring 2 July 18th 05 02:45 PM