My best of 2016

Old December 30th 16, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default My best of 2016

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 5:07:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I had a really good year in soaring with a number of great memories.
I think my favorite for this year was watching my friend Walter Cannon fly our 1-26, serial number 2 at the IVSM. It had been 61 years since he last flew that same glider.
Priceless.
Anybody else have a great 2016 memory?
Happy New Year to all my soaring friends
UH

finished my gold badge with a wave flight to 13,000 feet off of a "ridge tow" at harris hill in late march!
Old December 30th 16, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Flying my ASK-13 "Cabriolet" convertible sailplane off of Harris Hill (Elmira, NY) at the International Vintage Sailplane Meet in July 2016. Made 33 flights taking young and old aloft to share the open cockpit experience. I had scattered Fritz Compton's ashes on the crest of the hill so every launch out over that beautiful valley was very special.
Old December 30th 16, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

In January I finished up refinishing my 1975 Pfeiffer Trailer, then finished up my ticket at Seminole Lake in February. While at Seminole Lake I got my Bronze Badge and soared 4 hrs. I think I could have gotten my Silver but had to leave early due to family emergency. I then took my 10yo son up in the club 2-33. Took a road trip to ridge soar and ended up soaring at 5 different sites by May. Met a lot of fine people this year.

79
Old December 30th 16, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 5:07:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I had a really good year in soaring with a number of great memories.
I think my favorite for this year was watching my friend Walter Cannon fly our 1-26, serial number 2 at the IVSM. It had been 61 years since he last flew that same glider.
Priceless.
Anybody else have a great 2016 memory?
Happy New Year to all my soaring friends
UH

i forgot a really good one!

Was on my honeymoon with my wife in hawaii. we met an older couple vacationing at the same resort. we did the standard where are you from routine, and it turns out that they are from Odessa Texas. i asked them if they ever heard of a glider pilot named Wally Scott, they said "Scott? SURE! we used to live right down the street!"

that was pretty damn cool.
Old December 30th 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Acquiring a hangar and a Stemme and, with 2 1/2 months experience in it,
flying it 643 km in the Sangre de Christo mountains of northern New
Mexico
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=5086544.

--
Dan, 5J

Old December 30th 16, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My now 4 year old son Samuel took his first glider ride with me in a car seat in an SGS 2-33 just as I did with my dad back in the late 70's.

My twin daughters Genevieve Cirrus and Aveline Libelle Schrader will get their first rides in a sailplane in 2017. I can hardly wait to bring in the New Year!

- Chris Schrader (B2G)
Old December 30th 16, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 11:24:06 AM UTC-8, wrote:
My now 4 year old son Samuel took his first glider ride with me in a car seat in an SGS 2-33 just as I did with my dad back in the late 70's.

My twin daughters Genevieve Cirrus and Aveline Libelle Schrader will get their first rides in a sailplane in 2017. I can hardly wait to bring in the New Year!

- Chris Schrader (B2G)

This soaring year was special for the people I got to spend it with.
Nephi Nats with my father and my two best friends whom I've spent my entire flying career with. Lots of good friends and happy times at both Ephrata and Nephi. And yes, some kick ass flights too. Darn near made 100 mph on a contest task this year. Fun, fun, fun.

Here's to the next year!

7Q
Old December 30th 16, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In 2016 I finally got a chance to use a tail chute on landing thanks to a fellow club member who asked me to fly his Phoebus C. I've wanted to do that since I first saw a picture of an ASW-12 on approach in an encyclopedia I got when I was eleven years old.
Old December 31st 16, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C2

The best thing I did in 2016 was going to Albert Lea for the region 7 contest with my buddies Jim and Steve. The weather was great, but the support, mentorship and time with friends, old and new, made it very special.
Old December 31st 16, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Something similar to this should be published in the Janunary issue of Soaring (maybe limited to 200 characters per post)