Flight Review Question for CFI's

Old March 31st 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve

Default Flight Review Question for CFI's

Do they try to make it hard to understand?
My last flight review was 4/11/09. The FAR's (61.56) say; "No
person.......each pilot must have complied with the requirements of
this section since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the
month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command".
Does that mean the last day of the 23rd month since the month I had
the FR or the end of the 24th month in which I had my FR? Or in
simple terms, I can be PIC till the end of March or April?
Thanks,
Steve
Old March 31st 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 30, 8:36*pm, Steve wrote:
Do they try to make it hard to understand?
My last flight review was 4/11/09. *The FAR's (61.56) say; *"No
person.......each pilot must have complied with the requirements of
this section since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the
month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command".
Does that mean the last day of the 23rd month since the month I had
the FR or the end of the 24th month in which I had my FR? *Or in
simple terms, I can be PIC till the end of March or April?
Thanks,
Steve

You are good till the last day in April.
If you wait till the last day you deserve to get spanked!
Review early- review often
Good Luck
UH
Old March 31st 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 30, 8:36*pm, Steve wrote:
Do they try to make it hard to understand?
My last flight review was 4/11/09. *The FAR's (61.56) say; *"No
person.......each pilot must have complied with the requirements of
this section since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the
month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command".
Does that mean the last day of the 23rd month since the month I had
the FR or the end of the 24th month in which I had my FR? *Or in
simple terms, I can be PIC till the end of March or April?
Thanks,
Steve

Yeah they make it hard...they have to justify their jobs, and we
instructors can justify ours too!

The short answer in plain English is ....you need a flight review
every 24 months, and you have until the last day of the month to do
it.....

Longer complicated explaination:

They count by months, not days......April 1 or April 30 is same thing,
no difference...both "April"

Did last flight review in April ?...next one due April two years
later......any day in April is OK...(or earlier than April)

If you qualified for a flight review in the interum (like a new
rating) then the clock starts over... at that month...

The FAA, and FAR's line of reasoning is "backward reasoning".....I
want to fly today....so I must count months backward to
24........So...today is March 30th 2011.......count back 24 months...
(don't count days, only months) end up in march 2009......did I have a
flight review between March 01, 2009 and today? If answer is yes,
you can fly PIC...if answer is no...you need a flight review before
PIC flight.

Cookie
Old March 31st 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve

Thanks UH and 2Cool!
This means I can plan for a day to do the review instead of hoping to
get it done before the weekend.
Reading the FAR's makes me think of Richard Nixon..."Let me make this
perfectly clear..."
Steve

Old March 31st 11, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 30, 8:36*pm, Steve wrote:
Do they try to make it hard to understand?
My last flight review was 4/11/09. *The FAR's (61.56) say; *"No
person.......each pilot must have complied with the requirements of
this section since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the
month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command".
Does that mean the last day of the 23rd month since the month I had
the FR or the end of the 24th month in which I had my FR? *Or in
simple terms, I can be PIC till the end of March or April?
Thanks,
Steve

While we are on the subject....time to vent some "instructor peeves"

Many pilots think a glider flight review is about the same as dropping
by the barber shop for a trim....show up, and 20 minutes later, good
to go, you're off...

Typical for me...A busy Saturday at the glider port about 3:30 in the
afternoon...a guy drops in...un announced...."I need a Flight
Review" ... "OK Mr. Doe, And when would you like to schedule
that?.".."Schedule!? I need it now!......I am going on vacation next
week, and this is the only day I can do it.....and hurry up...I have a
dinner appointment tonight".....

Visual: Steam venting from instructor's ears and nostrils...

Cookie

Old March 31st 11, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Mar 30, 7:56*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 30, 8:36*pm, Steve wrote:

[...]

And I would not do the flight review.
It's already 3:30pm. I need time to get ready, talk with the
individual and find out his normal flying. Is he someone you know and
you see flying all the time? Then a 1hr ground session, so by now it's
5pm and we are just now ready to go to the glider, preflight, mission
review, it's 5:30 by the time we get our first takeoff.

Oh, and the wife is waiting dinner.

So, I have a dinner appointment too, so what day after he gets back
from his trip, would he like to schedule his flight review.

Old March 31st 11, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 31, 12:17*am, T wrote:
On Mar 30, 7:56*pm, "

wrote:
On Mar 30, 8:36*pm, Steve wrote:

[...]

T- Hide quoted text -

My point, exactly.......

Cookie

Old March 31st 11, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

wrote in message
If you wait till the last day you deserve to get spanked!

Yes, but if you do your review the day AFTER expiration, you get a tiny prize;
an extra month. Many aircraft owners systematically do the same thing with
their annuals

Review early- review often

Actually I agree. It never hurts to take a CFI and go off flying. For one
important thing, it's the only time I get to practice instrument flying.

Vaughn

Old March 31st 11, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 31, 8:01*am, "vaughn" wrote:
wrote in message

If you wait till the last day you deserve to get spanked!

Yes, but if you do your review the day AFTER expiration, you get a tiny prize;
an extra month. *Many aircraft owners systematically do the same thing with
their annuals

Review early- review often

Actually I agree. *It never hurts to take a CFI and go off flying. *For one
important thing, it's the only time I get to practice instrument flying.

Vaughn

We all know the tricks, but think about what works for everybody.
Many instructors are busy all day and don't easily have time for an
impromptu 2 hour session with one guy who didn't schedule.
Better to make the appointment or at least be prepared so if you're
all hanging out and it's slow, you can get it done. Or schedule for a
day when weather isn't so good and lots of folks won't be out.
I predict aggravation in next few weeks when we are busy doing spring
checks and soembody is gonna say "my flight review is overdue". We wil
have done the flying but will need to set aside an hour or so for
ground review. I'll say "let's do it at 9:00 tomorrow morning before
we get busy" and the motorboatin' will start.
FWIW
UH
Old March 31st 11, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

Curious, is it possible to conduct the "minimum" 1 hour ground review
session via a classroom environment with multiple attendees? I think
it would be so much more effective, if during the beginning part of a
club soaring season, for an instructor or a few to setup a couple hour
instructional session and have multiple pilots attend? Not sure if
that would adequately allow an instructor to evaluate the knowledge of
the pilot, but it is a review, and one could cover a lot of material
in that session.

-Kevin

CFI's Needed Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 2 June 5th 08 03:40 AM
Question about flight following / weather updates from Flight Watch [email protected] Piloting 8 December 13th 06 03:46 AM
Pay for CFI's The Black Sheep Piloting 23 May 31st 04 07:43 PM
CFI's with a second job... James M. Knox Piloting 3 November 6th 03 08:08 PM
Other CFI's currently marketing? Greg Esres Piloting 16 November 4th 03 09:15 PM