Anyone know how to update an old Loran database?

Old November 30th 03, 01:33 AM
Mike Adams

I find this very disappointing. I have a 604 which works very well - always
locks on, and accurate. Aside from the database being out of date, my only
complaint is how hard it is to use - that user interface with just 6 buttons
and a knob is very limiting. I was hoping that upgrading to a panel mount GPS
would not only improve the performance and be IFR capable, but also be easier
to use for the basic stuff. For example, to do a direct-to on the 604 requires
the following:
1. Page down to the waypoint mode
2. Scroll through and select the appropriate geographical area
3. Select the desired waypoint by scrolling each character of the identifier
with the knob.
4. When the waypoint is selected, press the TO key.
5. Page down to the POS mode, displaying present position
6. Press the FROM key.
7. Start the process over, because by now you'll have already passed the
entered point :-)

Mike

In article , wrote:
I have both a II Morrow 618 Loran and a Garmin GPS in my aircraft.
The user interface on the Loran is MUCH MUCH easer to use than the
newer Garmin GPS. The Garmin interface is NOT intuitive and takes at
least twice as long to enter a go to point on the Garmin as it does on
the II Morrow loran. The GPS and the Loran always agree within less
than 1/2 mile so why get rid of a good navigation unit?

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:29:24 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul
Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, "Tom Jackson" said:
I have looked around on the 'net, and cannot find any reference to being
able to update an old Apollo loran database (like can be done with the

The best "update" on a panel mount Loran is to rip it out and give youself
another 2 or so pounds of useful load.

Old December 3rd 03, 02:15 AM
Tom Jackson

Here is a response I received from someone at GarminAT:
****************************
Hi Tom,

Sorry but there is simply no means to update the data. The required
equipment to "burn" the data to the eproms is not generally available. Even
if it was, the format of the data is proprietary and not available to the
public. With the age of the eproms it's very normal for at lest one of them
to not accept data any longer as well. Once you were to try to load, and
fail, the unit would be rendered useless. The proms are no longer available
from any source so it just isn't worth the time or effort. I can only
recommend that you simply continue to use it as it is and load needed
waypoints as user created waypoints.

Regards,
John Hendrickson
Technical Support

"Tom Jackson" wrote in message
I have looked around on the 'net, and cannot find any reference to being
able to update an old Apollo loran database (like can be done with the
modern GPS units.)

I have an Apollo 604, with the latest update (1999, I think.)

It seems to me, that there must be some tech-wizards out there who could
figure out how to update such an animal -- i.e., there are a number of
places to get the "data" (FAA, DAFIF, etc.) - is there a way to configure

it
in a file on a PC, then through some sort of interface upload it to the
"Flybrary"?

I think the Flybrary is probably some sort of EPROM (eraseable,

programmable
read-only memory) that should be capable of being updated, if one

understood
the protocol, data formats, physical connections, etc.

On the surface, this sounds doable - is it merely a pipe-dream?

At least, it could be a fun project for someone over these fine winter
months!

Old December 5th 03, 06:03 PM
paul k. sanchez

I have looked around on the 'net, and cannot find any reference to being able
to update an old Apollo loran database (like can be done with the modern GPS
units.)

I have an Apollo 604, with the latest update (1999, I think.)

It seems to me, that there must be some tech-wizards out there who could

figure out how to update such an animal -- i.e., there are a number of places
to get the "data" (FAA, DAFIF, etc.) - is there a way to configure it in a file
on a PC, then through some sort of interface upload it to the "Flybrary"?

I think the Flybrary is probably some sort of EPROM (eraseable, programmable

read-only memory) that should be capable of being updated, if one understood
the protocol, data formats, physical connections, etc.

On the surface, this sounds doable - is it merely a pipe-dream?

At least, it could be a fun project for someone over these fine winter months!

Tom:
Strong suggestion is to buy the Apollo Flybuddy Plus 800 loran that uses a data
card. That way you get the data from jeppesen as often as you want. The current
ebay bid on a 800 plus flybuddy is $30, a lot less than what you would pay for
the equipment to update the eproms on your current unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...egory=26436&it
em=2446672098

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles’ wings