Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

Old December 8th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 03:12:03 GMT, (Drew
Dalgleish) wrote:

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:28:40 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

On 7 Dec 2006 06:41:35 -0800, "bbutlergps"
wrote:

PH-CAQ wrote:
bbutlergps schreef:

Howdy,
I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested
in going the route of a diesel. Would anybody have any information on
either the:
Smart (Mercedes) 3 cyl. 95 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 112
hp) found in the Smart ForFour or VW Lupo or Fox (euro) 3 cyl. 1.4
liter 70 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 108 hp)
What I am most interested in is weight and the PSRU.
Thanks,
Bill

Bill
don't consider chiptuning the smart engine. It was not designed for it
and no body has any experience with it. Beside that the engine is not
available in the US. Look at
http://www.ecofly.de/english.htm
The VW diesel is an interesting one. Some club members are working on a
conversion, but keep in mind, the engine is heavy
I use a BMW R1100 rs on a Pelican. A well designed PSRU comming from
germany (http://www.takeoff-ul.de/) gives me 95 kts and 3,5 gallon
fuel/hour

Ton (the Netherlands)

Ton,
I have seen pictures of the Smart Mercedes Turbo Diesel in both a
Zenith 701 and 601, an FK 9 (Eco Fly) as well as an ultralight "Rohmas"
(sp?). I have also seen in Poland a trike with the VW Lupo turbo diesel
engine as well. Some of the comments I have gotten isn't too great
mostly about lack of HP. The Smart Engines that were being used were
the smaller ones found in the TwoFour. I am interested in the weight of
the larger ones found in the ForFour? Here in the US we aren't too
bright cutting production of diesel in automotive industry. Damiler
Chrysler has a diesel in the Jeep Liberty and other models will be
introduced soon. Honda will be having a diesel coming in the next
couple of years.
I know that Smart Diesel aren't here in the US but I would be willing
to look at have an engine shipped over from overseas.
I have had many questions answered and thank you. The one that I don't
have an answer for is the wieght of the Smart ForFour Turbo Diesel
Engine, anybody?
Thanks,
Bill

Forget overseas - just hop north across the border into Canada. We've
hat the Smart TD for several years now. (I've never seen a wreck
though)

We only get the twofour though. I guess it's an Ontario beer thing

Too many beers makes you dislexic. Its a for two, not a two four.

Old December 11th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

wrote:

PH-CAQ wrote:
bbutlergps schreef:

[...]

Oops (hic) lexdisic I am
Old December 12th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
kumaros

bbutlergps wrote:

PH-CAQ wrote:
bbutlergps schreef:

I have had many questions answered and thank you. The one that I don't
have an answer for is the wieght of the Smart ForFour Turbo Diesel
Engine, anybody?
Thanks,
Bill

Bill,
a couple of months ago I bought a wrecked Mitsubishi Colt
CZ3 DID (the twin of the Smart Forfour) for its engine. I
haven't taken it out of the car yet, but since the engine
block is cast iron, it shouldn't be too light. I'm going to
use it anyway. With the engine out of the car I'll let you
know about its definite weight. In my opinion, the Toyota
and the PSA group light alloy diesels are the way to go.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old December 12th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I would be interestedin a diesel in the 200hp range. Is anyone out
there converting any 200hp doesel automotive engines?

Old December 13th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

Kumaros,
Yes please keep me informed. Does this Colt Clone engine manufactored
by Mercedes? Also is it 3 or 4 cyl and how many hp does it put out. And
most important please let me know its weight.
Thanks,
Bill

kumaros wrote:

Old December 14th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
kumaros

bbutlergps wrote:
Kumaros,
Yes please keep me informed. Does this Colt Clone engine manufactored
by Mercedes? Also is it 3 or 4 cyl and how many hp does it put out. And
most important please let me know its weight.
Thanks,
Bill

Bill,
as mentioned in my previous post, the Mitsubishi Colt CZ3
DID is the twin of the Smart ForFour with a diesel engine.
Besides about 80% of their parts, they share the same
engine, a 1.5 liter three cylinder aluminum head with cast
iron block 95HP at 4000RPM turbodiesel made by Mercedes,
says so right on the cylinder head. As soon as it's out of
the car I'll post exact weight data.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old December 14th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

kumaros wrote:

In my opinion, the Toyota
and the PSA group light alloy diesels are the way to go.

Toyota: timing chain
Peugeot: timing belt

Mo
The cast alloy bloc of PSA engine is not "well born". As a former PSA
engineer, I eared about some bloc failures on test bed. The 2l engine
is realy a better bloc but too heavy and powerful for two seater
planes.

I prefer the Toyota engine in the 90-100HP range.

--
Pub: http://www.slowfood.fr/france
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old December 14th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
karel

"Philippe Vessaire" wrote in message
kumaros wrote:

In my opinion, the Toyota
and the PSA group light alloy diesels are the way to go.

Toyota: timing chain
Peugeot: timing belt

Mo
The cast alloy bloc of PSA engine is not "well born". As a former PSA
engineer, I eared about some bloc failures on test bed. The 2l engine
is realy a better bloc but too heavy and powerful for two seater
planes.

I prefer the Toyota engine in the 90-100HP range.

Ah. And had you been a former toyota designer,
no doubt you would prefer PSA...?

Old December 14th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

karel wrote:

I prefer the Toyota engine in the 90-100HP range.

Ah. And had you been a former toyota designer,
no doubt you would prefer PSA...?

No realy, I think the 2l and 2l2 PSA are better than the 2l and 2l2
Toyota but it is in the 140-180HP range.

Each design is different and the 2l is very heavy vs the PSA one.
For the 1l4, it is the opposite.

And for 2007, Subaru will built a 2l5 flat four diesel....

Old December 14th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Philippe Vessaire

karel wrote:

Ah. And had you been a former toyota designer,
no doubt you would prefer PSA...?

As an ATPL, I was not angry to leave PSA.