Seeking a glider (Discus B or CS or 2B, ASW-20, Ventus B, or LS-4).

Old June 22nd 16, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seeking a glider (Discus B or CS or 2B, ASW-20, Ventus B, or LS-4).

Hi everyone, it was suggested that I post here that I am seeking a glider (Discus B or CS or 2B, ASW-20, Ventus B, or LS-4). I am monitoring W&W of course but if anyone knows of a ship above that is sitting unused which is a shame please let me know. Thanks all!

Sincerely,
Michael Price
Cell 404-395-3218
Old June 22nd 16, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 1:55:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi everyone, it was suggested that I post here that I am seeking a glider (Discus B or CS or 2B, ASW-20, Ventus B, or LS-4). I am monitoring W&W of course but if anyone knows of a ship above that is sitting unused which is a shame please let me know. Thanks all!

Sincerely,
Michael Price
Cell 404-395-3218

How about a nice ASW-24, due to hit the market in a couple of weeks?

Northeastern US. Cobra trailer. GPSNav/LNav/Dittel. Factory winglets.

Price yet to be determined, but likely high 40s.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old June 23rd 16, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If I could spend some time figuring out if IFIT in it with a chute.. I'd be interested.

I've flown one.. but without a chute, and with the seat back removed.

I went and looked at one in Saratoga, but could not fit with the chute. Well, I fit, but it took 4 tries.

Any chance you have the higher leg cutouts on the panel?

JP
Old June 23rd 16, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 23:08 22 June 2016, wrote:
If I could spend some time figuring out if IFIT in it with a chute..

I'd be
interested.

I've flown one.. but without a chute, and with the seat back

removed.

I went and looked at one in Saratoga, but could not fit with the

chute.
Well, I fit, but it took 4 tries.

Any chance you have the higher leg cutouts on the panel?

JP

I had an early -24 (serial #4 I think?), and I was very tight. I am
6'2", and flew it without the seat back, but with a chute. The later
ones have the seat-back bulkhead moved back about 4 cm in order
to make more room in the cockpit. I asked about modifying my old
one, and was told to just buy a new one, which I did. The extra 4
cm did make a difference, but it was still somewhat tight for me.

I also had a DG-300 which I flew without the seatback, but was
reasonably comfortable sitting in with a chute.

I also had a Discus B. I fit in that, but only with the seat back
removed. My head was so far back, that my side-wards and rear
visibility was so limited by the fuselage that I had to use mirrors on
the glareshield in order to see other traffic in my thermal. I went to
the -24 partly because it allowed me to see back to the tail as well
as other traffic in the rear area.

The latest and best solution for me to actually be comfortable was to
buy a Discus-2b. They finally designed a glider (Ventus-2b also)
that almost anyone can fit into. I could finally fly with a parachute,
without removing the seatback, lay my legs flat on the floor, and still
have 2 notches left to extend the rudder pedals even further
forward if needed. In other words, I fit in this glider like a normal
person without special adaptations.

If you are tall, you might concentrate your search in the Discus-2b /
Ventus-2b, DG-300, or Genesis areas, for a cockpit which will
provide more room than most of the others.

Good luck...

RO

Old June 23rd 16, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I believe it comes with a fresh annual, new tow hook, fresh sand/chip fix and polish/hard wax..... If it's one I'm thinking of. Great overall condition, good trailer as well.....

Worth it in my book, overall good condition (freshened up now), good for many years, just keep it clean and waxed (like any composite).
Old June 23rd 16, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 7:08:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If I could spend some time figuring out if IFIT in it with a chute.. I'd be interested.

I've flown one.. but without a chute, and with the seat back removed.

I went and looked at one in Saratoga, but could not fit with the chute. Well, I fit, but it took 4 tries.

Any chance you have the higher leg cutouts on the panel?

JP

JP: Buy a glider you fit in. This glider is an early one with the "small" cockpit. Depending on build, suitable for guys up to about 6'.

-Evan Ludeman
Old June 26th 16, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks

I'm 6'1" so not too freakish.. however it must be a bunch in my torso. I just felt like i had to lean my forehead way back, or way forward to fit in the 24. I think Williams had a small cushion that was made for when the seat back was out.

I'll keep 'fit testing' them

thanks
JP
Old June 27th 16, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you are looking for a spacious glider in the LD-area of a 24 you could also consider a SZD 55.