Flight Chops - Mountain Soaring

Old June 27th 16, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flight Chops - Mountain Soaring

The Youtube channel "Flight Chops" has posted a video about mountain soaring, filmed in California.
Perhaps some of you will enjoy watching it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Wzz2-HfpA
Old June 27th 16, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 3:07:48 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The Youtube channel "Flight Chops" has posted a video about mountain soaring, filmed in California.
Perhaps some of you will enjoy watching it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Wzz2-HfpA

I found his channel last year and have really enjoyed it. The guy
is basically a Cessna driver but enjoys flying well, and has a day
job in a TV studio so he knows how to put a video together! Also
as he mentions in this video he originally learned to fly in gliders...

Matt
Old June 27th 16, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 9:41:59 AM UTC-6, wrote:

I found his channel last year and have really enjoyed it. The guy
is basically a Cessna driver but enjoys flying well

Steve started flying in gliders. In his series on learning to fly taildragger he points out the similarity of the throttle position and the spoiler handle.
He's planning to become tow pilot as culmination of his tailwheel training, and he will of course document that in a series of videos. SSA should IMO sponsor Flightchops to promote soaring. http://flightchops.com/

The following video is my favorite from his tailwheel series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TppcWdsrqQA

Old June 28th 16, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flight Chops - Mountain Soaring - Steveo1Kinevo - Thermal SoaringPosted Same Day

Enjoyed participating in this one with a very talented pilot Steveo on his first time in a glider. Hope it is as fun to watch as it was to make. Coming up on 30,000 views in 4-1/2 days. Lots of Flight Chops and Steveo1Kinevo viewers/subscribers are aviation enthusiasts who are now seeing the sport of soaring in high definition video and thinking of giving it a try. BTW I am a big fan of Bruno's soaring videos!

Old June 28th 16, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc90l-hxaXo
Old June 29th 16, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc90l-hxaXo

After watching the video I can't help but wonder how they got approval for that tailwheel on an L-23.
Old June 29th 16, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 7:08:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc90l-hxaXo

After watching the video I can't help but wonder how they got approval for that tailwheel on an L-23.

That's a fair question that I will try to answer to the best of my recollection. Miami Gliders purchased two Blanik L23's from an operator in Australia. The Australian operator did the removal of the swiveling tailwheel which I believe is not so robust and the source of some maintenance problems. I think that it took the Miami Glider owners at the time at least 6 months to get the modification approved by the local FSDO after the gliders arrived. This was in about 2004. We find ground handling is slightly more difficult as we need to turn the glider in sharp turns manually but towing to and from the tiedowns there is no real difference. The modification might be less desirable on pavement where the rear tire cannot easily slide on grass or where you have to do a lot of tight turns to maneuver the glider. Tom Mackie 747 and Balloon Pilot in Asheville, NC was one of the owners at the time if you need more info.
Old June 29th 16, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

All of the L-23s that the Air Force Academy purchased (Now with the Civil Air Patrol) had a similar tailwheel, but had a fairing that covered it. We found it was actually helpful with new students on initial roll-out to keep the ship pointed straight.