Sunship game Nimbus

Old June 24th 16, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sunship game Nimbus

Question from the back of the room.
I recently watched ,"Sunship Game" and I was wondering whatever happened to George Moffett's Nimbus,"XX"
Pretty advanced for its time.
Although adverse yaw must have been awful.
Thanks.
Old June 25th 16, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 5:29:23 PM UTC-6, Brian Chase wrote:
Question from the back of the room.
I recently watched ,"Sunship Game" and I was wondering whatever happened to George Moffett's Nimbus,"XX"
Pretty advanced for its time.
Although adverse yaw must have been awful.
Thanks.

See other thread.

The Cirrus has a side hinged rudder, so it had more surface turning left, but seemed to 'feel' nicer to the right (less gap?). Never noticed excessive adverse yaw. There was an AD to add a damper to the rudder control arm as some had experienced rudder flutter. The damper was never fitted when I owned it and I never experienced flutter up to 135kts.

The Nimbus was flown in the World's contest in 1970, not in Sunship Game which was the US Nationals in 1969. The Cirrus wing tips reporting increased the span to 18.8m, but Cirrus sn23 may have been a tick over 19m.

There was a set of drawings of the wing tip mod with sn-23 with Cirrus B on the legend.

Frank Whiteley
Old June 25th 16, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Correct details on the Cirrus from the Sunship Game.

My understanding is the Nimbus 1 was sold to the French Air Force at some point in the very early 70s. It was wrecked and the remains sat around for awhile and then appear to have been scrapped.

FWIW I own Moffats Diamant as flown in the 67 and 68 Nationals. I also own an Elfe S-3 which is the type Moffat and Smith flew in the 68 Worlds in Leszno and Smirh won in. Oh also an ASW-12...
Old June 26th 16, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 1:29:51 PM UTC-6, Kevin Christner wrote:
FWIW I own Moffats Diamant as flown in the 67 and 68 Nationals.
I also own an Elfe S-3 which is the type Moffat and Smith flew
in the 68 Worlds in Leszno and Smirh won in. Oh also an ASW-12...

You'll need another dozen classics to catch up with Mr. Leonard...

Sunship Game Steve Leonard[_2_] Soaring 1 January 31st 14 04:39 AM
Video clip from the Sunship Game Guy Byars[_2_] Soaring 24 August 21st 09 06:23 PM
Hello Game Lovers, Welcome to the money game world ss Soaring 0 May 17th 09 02:02 PM
The Sunship Game vic20owner Soaring 5 April 15th 09 08:00 PM
WTB copy of The Sunship Game scooter Soaring 7 August 4th 05 02:00 AM