A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Water in the cockpit!

Old June 28th 16, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default Water in the cockpit!

The manual for my Ventus C states that there are 5 holes in the fin which holds up to 5 liters of water. You tape up one less hole than the liters you want. for example, if you want 3 liters, you tape up the bottom two holes.

Now the problem. My Ventus C has 6 holes. More capacity? different version or fill scheme? If any one knows, please help.

This just in; cockpit doubles as bathtub. I flew with water today, and at the end of the flight there was an inch or two of water in the forward foot well where the battery goes. This is surprising as water is not plumbed into the fuselage. There is simply an auto connected dump valve at the wing root. I assume there is a lot more water under the seat pan at the moment. Thoughts?

Thanks

Matt H

Old June 28th 16, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:39:31 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
The manual for my Ventus C states that there are 5 holes in the fin which holds up to 5 liters of water. You tape up one less hole than the liters you want. for example, if you want 3 liters, you tape up the bottom two holes.

Now the problem. My Ventus C has 6 holes. More capacity? different version or fill scheme? If any one knows, please help.

This just in; cockpit doubles as bathtub. I flew with water today, and at the end of the flight there was an inch or two of water in the forward foot well where the battery goes. This is surprising as water is not plumbed into the fuselage. There is simply an auto connected dump valve at the wing root. I assume there is a lot more water under the seat pan at the moment. Thoughts?

Thanks

Matt H

Hi Matt,

Some older SH gliders have a problem with the ballast dump mechanism rusting and leaking water from the wing root into the fuselage. I completely renovated/replaced the system in my Mini Nimbus. I know of one local Ventus that also had the system repaired. The fix with my Mini required cutting into the top of the wing and replacing ALL of the steel pieces. The brass pieces can be reused. If this is your problem, you can see the repair in photos at the Mini Nimbus Yahoo Group.

Mike
Old June 28th 16, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

PS - You should remove your seat pan for a look/dry out if you haven't
already.

On 6/28/2016 12:26 AM, Mike C wrote:
On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 11:39:31 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

Thanks

Matt H

Hi Matt,

Some older SH gliders have a problem with the ballast dump mechanism rusting and leaking water from the wing root into the fuselage. I completely renovated/replaced the system in my Mini Nimbus. I know of one local Ventus that also had the system repaired. The fix with my Mini required cutting into the top of the wing and replacing ALL of the steel pieces. The brass pieces can be reused. If this is your problem, you can see the repair in photos at the Mini Nimbus Yahoo Group.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 28th 16, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Get a one liter water or pop bottle. No tape over any holes. Fill it with water. Pour it in. See when water comes out. Keep taping and adding water until you know tail tank capacity.

As Mike said, SH dump valves have issues with the seal as time marches on. Rather than cutting holes in the wings mid season, put each wing on a stand, root end low, put 5 or so gallons of water in the tank. Check actuator on root rib for leak. If one leaks, you can take the drive loose, and pack grease (or toilet bowl wax) in around the shaft and put off cutting holes and replacing parts for a while. Take a picture of the fitting, spring, etc, before you take it apart. Not that hard to do.

Consider adding a drain hole to the fuselage. Should probably be at close to 3/8th inch diameter, as anything smaller can and will plug up with dirt and other stuff that just naturally gets into the fuselage. This will help keep you from taking a bath in your plane should another leak happen.

Steve Leonard
Old June 29th 16, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MN50
external usenet poster

I have been getting water in the cockpit for the life of the Ventus C. My water comes in via the flap/root fairing area and then getting into the fuselage through the opening for the controls. It was better when the sealing I did was newer.