larger pilot

Old February 10th 20, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default larger pilot

Hi, I'm 6'6" and 240 pounds and new to soaring. I've been looking at the possibilities open to me after I finish training and all single seaters have a cockpit rated to 110 kg, i.e. a 10 kilo allowance for a chute and a pilot around 100 kilo's max. As I am well over the limit with a chute is there any way out of this other than to start dieting? Regards Mark
Old February 10th 20, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Norris

110 daN is the a magic number in several German gliders. In the USA, they don't understand the difference between kg and daN, so we get converted to 242 lbs (about 5 lbs lower). Chute typically weighs about 14 lbs / 6.5 kg.

In the USA, you could do all of your training in gliders that do not require you to wear a chute, but some other countries are stricter about that. You will not be able to fly any contests without one.
Old February 10th 20, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

First find a glider that fits. Have you tried any on for size yet? 6’6” is a factor.
I’ve seen a few chunkies over the years that weighed 230.... on the moon.
Then, find a good reliable friendly scale that you like, put some water in the tail, more air in the tire(s), and go fly.
Remember to maintain VFR distance from clouds.
You look 210 to me.
Old February 10th 20, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

AC-4 Russia has huge cockpit if you're not looking for super performance. And if you don't mind Russian product support.
Old February 10th 20, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jordan[_2_]

20 would work. Maybe an LS. 6'5" 230lb and my 20 fits great with the seat back out and the astronaut foam seat cushion.
Old February 10th 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 12:38:25 -0800, Jordan wrote:

20 would work. Maybe an LS. 6'5" 230lb and my 20 fits great with the
seat back out and the astronaut foam seat cushion.

If the OP fits an ASW-20, he'll also fit an ASW-19 or a Centraire Pegase.

The 19 and 20 used the same fuselage moulds. Centraire built 20s under
licence and so also had copies of the fuselage moulds. They made very
minor changes to them when they terminated that contract and rolled out
the Pegase: they moved the cockpit ventilation intake from under the
wings to the nose and slightly increased the rear tailboom diameter.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org