A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The Yellow Triangle

Old February 26th 21, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default The Yellow Triangle

Same reason I can't ride a horse. They are just too big. I really don't understand what is so funny, every damn time I stir the stick...
On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:01:46 PM UTC-8, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 7:05:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The chief pilot at the airport I fly from had a different explanation for my genital bounces.
He said "It is you." I always suspected...

Genital bounces!!!
Like banging your balls on the ground?
Funniest thing I've read in quite a while.
UH

Old March 1st 21, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy
external usenet poster

In my 1989 edition of "The Joy Of Soaring"
Its got alot of wonderful illustrations.
On page 125 It graphically shows the effect of wind gradient during the turn from base to final, where so many accidents occur.
The cause of these accidents? Airspeed to low.
On page 126 it shows the effects, on a gliders glide path and airspeed, of a thermal breaking off the airport and drifting with the wind in to the final approach leg.
Cause of these accidents from glider landing short, too low airspeed.
I Don't have much experience flying east of the Mississippi, some but not much.
All I know is in the West, landing anytime after noon, IMHO, This Yellow Triangle speed is a proven recipe for disaster. It's been proven many many, many times to be be WAY to low.
Ok If you HAVE TO land in a 600' long field so be it.
But 99.8% of the time I'm landing on 5-7000'+ of asphalt.
Have a look at the guy being lowered out of his ASK 21 in Germany, In a new thread.
I bet he could have used more airspeed.
I'm not trying to cause any trouble, just address a long term problem that we have had since day 1.
And don't get high on the tug either.
Fly safe in 2021
Nick
T
Old March 1st 21, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 10:04:02 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On page 125 It graphically shows the effect of wind gradient during the turn from base to final, where so many accidents occur.
On page 126 it shows the effects, on a gliders glide path and airspeed, of a thermal breaking off the airport and drifting with the wind in to the final approach leg.
All I know is in the West, landing anytime after noon, IMHO, This Yellow Triangle speed is a proven recipe for disaster. It's been proven many many, many times to be be WAY to low.
Have a look at the guy being lowered out of his ASK 21 in Germany, In a new thread.
I'm not trying to cause any trouble, just address a long term problem that we have had since day 1.
Fly safe in 2021
Nick
T

Nick, it works both ways. On our about 1,800' long grass runway with a dropoff on one side and a busy road on the other, I never see landings that come short, never. However, many gliders touch down about half way down the field and stop not far from the busy road, obviously poor final speed control in that it's too high. The yellow triangle is a great min speed suggestion for short final. Maybe only Germans can appreciate it?
Herb
Old March 2nd 21, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 11:04:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Fly safe in 2021
Nick
T

Aw geeze. The yellow triangle is an instrument marking with a specific purpose. It is the "proven recipe" for a minimum energy approach speed in still air. That's all.

Spinning in off base to final turn has as much to do with bad pattern planning as anything else, and the usual reason the speed is low, nose is high, turn is skidded is because the pattern sucked. Aiming for a base / final turn at 1/3 - 1/2 mile, 300 agl (or higher, as conditions warrant) solves many problems. There are plenty of conditions in which significant extra speed is warranted, but it isn't *all* conditions.

T8
Old March 3rd 21, 01:26 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Eight View Post
On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 11:04:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Fly safe in 2021
Nick
T

Aw geeze. The yellow triangle is an instrument marking with a specific purpose. It is the "proven recipe" for a minimum energy approach speed in still air. That's all.

Spinning in off base to final turn has as much to do with bad pattern planning as anything else, and the usual reason the speed is low, nose is high, turn is skidded is because the pattern sucked. Aiming for a base / final turn at 1/3 - 1/2 mile, 300 agl (or higher, as conditions warrant) solves many problems. There are plenty of conditions in which significant extra speed is warranted, but it isn't *all* conditions.

T8
+1 Evan has nailed it