From the UK via Australia: What can glider pilots teach the airline industry?

Old November 13th 13, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default From the UK via Australia: What can glider pilots teach the airline industry?

News from the Royal Aeronautical Society conference, picked up on the [Aus-Soaring] newsgroup, and deposited below.
Jim

http://media.aerosociety.com/aerospa...industry/8629/
Old November 13th 13, 10:18 PM
Ross Oehms Ross Oehms is offline
Junior Member

The reduction of Piloting skills in the Airline industry is simply due to management skills or the lack thereof. Incorrect use of simulation and the total reliance on automation are the causes of the problem. You cannot have it both ways.

I also note that accident investigators continue to note that modern instrumentation provides an excessive amount of information to the Pilot which may not be of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS View Post

Old November 14th 13, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Dunning

Ross,

Can you point to some examples of those reports? Feel free to contact me offline.

Rob

Old November 14th 13, 11:25 PM
Ross Oehms Ross Oehms is offline
Junior Member

Not sure how to contact you Robert, please use the site to contact me, I am very new to this!

Ross O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dunning View Post

Old November 15th 13, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Dunning

Ross, I can be reached at
rdunning0823 at yahoo dot com

Rob

Old November 16th 13, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer

As an A330 Captain, long time instructor on the airplane, and the author of the book "Understanding Air France 447," I have to agree 100% with the article.

I fly with pilots every day who NEVER turn the flight director off, and who fly with captains that would never let them.

Instrument flying skills, flying skills in general, and the ability to maintain or regain control of the aircraft during an upset event, like any skill erode with non-use.

When the flight director stops working, or provides erroneous information, it will add to the difficulty of handling the upset recovery if one is not trained in how to properly handle the situation and practiced in manual control.

As one example: Until fairly recently jet airliner stall recovery consisted mostly of power application and a focus on the minimization of altitude loss. Many will cite that the AF447 crew did not react to the stall warning. But I contend that they did - and exactly how they were trained - by applying full power. Unfortunately, at high altitude, virtually no additional power is available.

Recovery training in a simulator, even with the best intentions, is limited in its possible effectiveness by the inherent lack of g-forces and the knowledge that no matter what happens, you'll get out just fine in a few hours.. It's hard to teach "unloading" in a simulator, when you can't feel it.
You'll never hang by your seatbelt or see the dirt fly off the floor in a simulator. You don't want to be doing so for the first time in the weather, in the dark, with a couple hundred passengers behind you.
Performing these maneuvers in a glider or other acrobatic aircraft adds the missing dimensions to drive home the principles of upset recovery.

Bill Palmer
understandingAF447.com

Old November 16th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It's not a new problem. Though it's been over 30 years since I flew an
airliner, I recall many captains whose routine was "gear up, autopilot on".
The autopilot was not disengaged until short final. I never used the
autopilot, either on instruments or visually, except for coupled approaches,
which was mandatory at the time.

Old November 17th 13, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Make it fun to make it happen. Maybe some glider pilots, that also fly the big birds, organize a "camp" exclusively for big bird pilots at some reliable first-rate soaring site like Minden, and plan in advance to document and publicize it. A prototype.

Old November 18th 13, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:21:19 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
Make it fun to make it happen. Maybe some glider pilots, that also fly the big birds, organize a "camp" exclusively for big bird pilots at some reliable first-rate soaring site like Minden, and plan in advance to document and publicize it. A prototype.

I'll have to try hard to relax and forget what I read here and in Bill's excellent book next month when I step into an airliner for a trans atlantic flight. Too bad we only have a choice of airlines and flights but can not choose the pilots...

Ramy