A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

From the UK via Australia: What can glider pilots teach the airline industry?

Old November 13th 13, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Default From the UK via Australia: What can glider pilots teach the airline industry?

News from the Royal Aeronautical Society conference, picked up on the [Aus-Soaring] newsgroup, and deposited below.
Jim

http://media.aerosociety.com/aerospa...industry/8629/
Old November 13th 13, 10:18 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Nov 2013

The reduction of Piloting skills in the Airline industry is simply due to management skills or the lack thereof. Incorrect use of simulation and the total reliance on automation are the causes of the problem. You cannot have it both ways.

I also note that accident investigators continue to note that modern instrumentation provides an excessive amount of information to the Pilot which may not be of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS View Post
News from the Royal Aeronautical Society conference, picked up on the [Aus-Soaring] newsgroup, and deposited below.
Jim

Old November 14th 13, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Dunning
external usenet poster

Default From the UK via Australia: What can glider pilots teach theairline industry?

Ross,

Can you point to some examples of those reports? Feel free to contact me offline.

Rob

I also note that accident investigators continue to note that modern

instrumentation provides an excessive amount of information to the Pilot

which may not be of use.

Old November 14th 13, 11:25 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Nov 2013

Not sure how to contact you Robert, please use the site to contact me, I am very new to this!

Ross O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dunning View Post
Ross,

Can you point to some examples of those reports? Feel free to contact me offline.

Rob

I also note that accident investigators continue to note that modern

instrumentation provides an excessive amount of information to the Pilot

which may not be of use.
Old November 15th 13, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Dunning
external usenet poster

Default From the UK via Australia: What can glider pilots teach theairline industry?

Ross, I can be reached at
rdunning0823 at yahoo dot com

Rob

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:25:05 PM UTC-5, Ross Oehms wrote:
Not sure how to contact you Robert, please use the site to contact me, I

Old November 16th 13, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer
external usenet poster

As an A330 Captain, long time instructor on the airplane, and the author of the book "Understanding Air France 447," I have to agree 100% with the article.

I fly with pilots every day who NEVER turn the flight director off, and who fly with captains that would never let them.

Instrument flying skills, flying skills in general, and the ability to maintain or regain control of the aircraft during an upset event, like any skill erode with non-use.

When the flight director stops working, or provides erroneous information, it will add to the difficulty of handling the upset recovery if one is not trained in how to properly handle the situation and practiced in manual control.

As one example: Until fairly recently jet airliner stall recovery consisted mostly of power application and a focus on the minimization of altitude loss. Many will cite that the AF447 crew did not react to the stall warning. But I contend that they did - and exactly how they were trained - by applying full power. Unfortunately, at high altitude, virtually no additional power is available.

Recovery training in a simulator, even with the best intentions, is limited in its possible effectiveness by the inherent lack of g-forces and the knowledge that no matter what happens, you'll get out just fine in a few hours.. It's hard to teach "unloading" in a simulator, when you can't feel it.
You'll never hang by your seatbelt or see the dirt fly off the floor in a simulator. You don't want to be doing so for the first time in the weather, in the dark, with a couple hundred passengers behind you.
Performing these maneuvers in a glider or other acrobatic aircraft adds the missing dimensions to drive home the principles of upset recovery.

Bill Palmer
understandingAF447.com

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:15:54 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:

Jim

Old November 16th 13, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piotr Szafranski
external usenet poster

Also, the "lessons learned" go both ways. Many human psychology / limits issues that affect airline pilots are also relevant for glider pilots. As the topic is much better documented/researched/popularized in the context of "serious flying", these (airline industry) materials are used in the training of glider pilots (just last week we had a lecture on these issues during a KSS/GSS Zar camp).

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:48:06 AM UTC+1, Bill Palmer wrote:
As an A330 Captain, long time instructor on the airplane, and the author of the book "Understanding Air France 447," I have to agree 100% with the article.

I fly with pilots every day who NEVER turn the flight director off, and who fly with captains that would never let them.

Instrument flying skills, flying skills in general, and the ability to maintain or regain control of the aircraft during an upset event, like any skill erode with non-use.

When the flight director stops working, or provides erroneous information, it will add to the difficulty of handling the upset recovery if one is not trained in how to properly handle the situation and practiced in manual control.

As one example: Until fairly recently jet airliner stall recovery consisted mostly of power application and a focus on the minimization of altitude loss. Many will cite that the AF447 crew did not react to the stall warning.. But I contend that they did - and exactly how they were trained - by applying full power. Unfortunately, at high altitude, virtually no additional power is available.

Recovery training in a simulator, even with the best intentions, is limited in its possible effectiveness by the inherent lack of g-forces and the knowledge that no matter what happens, you'll get out just fine in a few hours. It's hard to teach "unloading" in a simulator, when you can't feel it.

You'll never hang by your seatbelt or see the dirt fly off the floor in a simulator. You don't want to be doing so for the first time in the weather, in the dark, with a couple hundred passengers behind you.

Performing these maneuvers in a glider or other acrobatic aircraft adds the missing dimensions to drive home the principles of upset recovery.

Bill Palmer

understandingAF447.com

Jim

Old November 16th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default From the UK via Australia: What can glider pilots teach the airline industry?

It's not a new problem. Though it's been over 30 years since I flew an
airliner, I recall many captains whose routine was "gear up, autopilot on".
The autopilot was not disengaged until short final. I never used the
autopilot, either on instruments or visually, except for coupled approaches,
which was mandatory at the time.

"Bill Palmer" wrote in message
As an A330 Captain, long time instructor on the airplane, and the author of
the book "Understanding Air France 447," I have to agree 100% with the
article.

I fly with pilots every day who NEVER turn the flight director off, and who
fly with captains that would never let them.

Instrument flying skills, flying skills in general, and the ability to
maintain or regain control of the aircraft during an upset event, like any
skill erode with non-use.

When the flight director stops working, or provides erroneous information,
it will add to the difficulty of handling the upset recovery if one is not
trained in how to properly handle the situation and practiced in manual
control.

As one example: Until fairly recently jet airliner stall recovery consisted
mostly of power application and a focus on the minimization of altitude
loss. Many will cite that the AF447 crew did not react to the stall warning.
But I contend that they did - and exactly how they were trained - by
applying full power. Unfortunately, at high altitude, virtually no
additional power is available.

Recovery training in a simulator, even with the best intentions, is limited
in its possible effectiveness by the inherent lack of g-forces and the
knowledge that no matter what happens, you'll get out just fine in a few
hours. It's hard to teach "unloading" in a simulator, when you can't feel
it.
You'll never hang by your seatbelt or see the dirt fly off the floor in a
simulator. You don't want to be doing so for the first time in the weather,
in the dark, with a couple hundred passengers behind you.
Performing these maneuvers in a glider or other acrobatic aircraft adds the
missing dimensions to drive home the principles of upset recovery.

Bill Palmer
understandingAF447.com

News from the Royal Aeronautical Society conference, picked up on the
[Aus-Soaring] newsgroup, and deposited below.

Jim

Old November 17th 13, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Make it fun to make it happen. Maybe some glider pilots, that also fly the big birds, organize a "camp" exclusively for big bird pilots at some reliable first-rate soaring site like Minden, and plan in advance to document and publicize it. A prototype.

Old November 18th 13, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:21:19 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
Make it fun to make it happen. Maybe some glider pilots, that also fly the big birds, organize a "camp" exclusively for big bird pilots at some reliable first-rate soaring site like Minden, and plan in advance to document and publicize it. A prototype.

I'll have to try hard to relax and forget what I read here and in Bill's excellent book next month when I step into an airliner for a trans atlantic flight. Too bad we only have a choice of airlines and flights but can not choose the pilots...

Ramy