Regional Soaring Forecasting Program

Old January 10th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Regional Soaring Forecasting Program

For anyone seriously interested in providing better cross-country
soaring weather predictions for their local region, and who has the
necessary computer processing resources and expertise, I am making
publicly available the RASP program I've written to produce
high-resolution (1-12 km) forecast maps of "BLIPMAP" parameters
specifically tailored for soaring predictions. These forecasts can be
produced for any location in the world, but are particularly useful
where soaring conditions vary dramatically over short distances, as
for complex terrain. Such forecasts can provide uniquely useful
guidance not available from other weather sources. More detailed
information is available at:
http://www.drjack.info/twiki/bin/vie...rogramOverview.
Examples currently being created daily for South Africa by Ian Holmes
can be viewed at http://users.zsd.co.za/~ian2/rasp/standardindex.html.
Additional examples for other regions can be viewed at
http://www.drjack.info/RASP/index.html.

Dr. John W. ("Jack") Glendening, Meteorologist

Old January 10th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I had a mental short-circuit (or know too many Ians) - the correct name
of the person processing the South African forecasts is Ian FORBES.

Old January 10th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This is what I've been waiting for, a long time...
-Nik

Old January 10th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It would be nice if the NE part of the USA would be availible...
It simply looks amazing....
-Nik

Old January 11th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We have been using the Blipmaps extensively in the Western Cape (of South
Africa) and it is simply the best. With the assistence of forecast we have
been able to plan and fly large tasks successfully. I can highly recommend
the programme.
Thank you Dr Jack.
Sven Olivier
EY