Insurance increase!

Old April 17th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden

Default Insurance increase!

I just received a letter from AIG stating that rates are going up. (I have
"non-owned" coverage for rental ships and for liability.) Then my renewal
letter from Costello states that my new AIG policy "will not be a part of
the Soaring Society of America Group Insurance Program." And the rate jumped
up by 42%! Anyone else seen this?

Old April 17th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On Apr 17, 1:03 am, "Roger Worden" wrote:
I just received a letter from AIG stating that rates are going up. (I have
"non-owned" coverage for rental ships and for liability.) Then my renewal
letter from Costello states that my new AIG policy "will not be a part of
the Soaring Society of America Group Insurance Program." And the rate jumped
up by 42%! Anyone else seen this?

I haven't seen anything since my policy is up later this year.

The rate increase is mentioned in the February SSA BoD minutes which
states there has been no increase in 6 years.

Jim Skydell on the ExCom has responsibility for Insurance. You should
contact him or your regional director. The program is a 'major SSA
membership benefit. What doesn't make sense is that your policy is no
longer a part of the Group program.

If that truly is the case along with a significant rate increase, I
will certainly be soliciting quotes to determine if the cost is
reasonable. I know my club (an SSA chapter) and other private ship
owners use different brokers/insurance companies where costs are
lower. These haven't been enough to go through the diligence of
comparing policies, but the level of this increase is sufficient to
stimulate my interest.

Chip F.

Old April 17th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 17, 1:03 am, "Roger Worden" wrote:
I just received a letter from AIG stating that rates are going up. (I have
"non-owned" coverage for rental ships and for liability.) Then my renewal
letter from Costello states that my new AIG policy "will not be a part of
the Soaring Society of America Group Insurance Program." And the rate jumped
up by 42%! Anyone else seen this?

Suggest you check with Costello re this. I am sure they will explain.
If you live in California, you are the victim of state policies that
drive rates up.
Warning of increasing rates went out with renewal letters form
Costello. Losses in clubs and commercial ops have been big.
UH

Old April 17th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rustynuts

On Apr 17, 5:39 am, wrote:
On Apr 17, 1:03 am, "Roger Worden" wrote:

I just received a letter from AIG stating that rates are going up. (I have
"non-owned" coverage for rental ships and for liability.) Then my renewal
letter from Costello states that my new AIG policy "will not be a part of
the Soaring Society of America Group Insurance Program." And the rate jumped
up by 42%! Anyone else seen this?

Suggest you check with Costello re this. I am sure they will explain.
If you live in California, you are the victim of state policies that
drive rates up.
Warning of increasing rates went out with renewal letters form
Costello. Losses in clubs and commercial ops have been big.
UH

I paid $1078 last year (May 06) with the 90 day out of service
discount. My renewal quote for 07 is
$1188 before discount I think it's $110 or there about. It also
states SSA membership required
& 5% AOPA discount included.

Old April 17th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Thats interesting. I received the same warning letter from Costello but found
my premiums for 07-08 to be cheaper.

Hmm. Methinks I must read what limits I obtained for this season. I might
have reduced something.

Old April 17th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

Our Soaring Club received this notice one month prior to our March
renewal. I called Sue at Costello and she indicated that this was only
for clubs with less than two aircraft and who have had a claim in the
last three years. Our rate also went down this year.

Old April 17th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On Apr 17, 11:40 am, Tim Hanke wrote:
Our Soaring Club received this notice one month prior to our March
renewal. I called Sue at Costello and she indicated that this was only
for clubs with less than two aircraft and who have had a claim in the
last three years. Our rate also went down this year.

On Apr 17, 1:03 am, "Roger Worden" wrote:

I just received a letter from AIG stating that rates are going up. (I have
"non-owned" coverage for rental ships and for liability.) Then my renewal
letter from Costello states that my new AIG policy "will not be a part of
the Soaring Society of America Group Insurance Program." And the rate jumped
up by 42%! Anyone else seen this?- Hide quoted text -

Hopefully UH is correct on a local aberration and that Costello/SSA
will provide some clarification. I've always had excellent service
from Pat. I don't mind a minimal cost difference if it supports the
pool.

Guess the best is to sit tight and see what actually comes in the
mail.

Chip

Old April 17th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

the real question is.. why are you no longer part of the SSA Group Program?

We were/are and only saw a 5% increase

BT