A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Testing a TruTrak Pictorial Turn & Bank indicator on the ground?

Old February 12th 19, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Testing a TruTrak Pictorial Turn & Bank indicator on the ground?

Is there a procedure to test/verify a TruTrak Pictorial Turn & Bank on the ground/bench? (It's not installed in the panel yet.)

I've no reason to suspect that this used unit is broken. I'm able to test the continuity and the stepper motor makes a little warble when it powers up.

Setting the unit on a level table, the 'horizon' matches the wingspan icon. Tilt and hold unit at 45 degrees and the stepper motor adjusts the 'horizon' to match the wingspan icon. Tilt unit back to level and the stepper moves the 'horizon' back to match the wingspan icon. Same for the opposite tilt. (The wingspan icon is fixed on the glass of the instrument. The 'horizon' is rotated by the stepper motor.)

I'm not simulating the G, centripetal, and yaw forces that the sensor would read in a real banking aircraft, so the fact that the unit does not rotate the horizon icon to match my level floor is not altogether surprising, but I'm wondering if the behavior of the display as described is expected.

Are there any other tests that I can do before installing the unit in my panel and going for a test flight?

Secondary question. There are three labeled electrical connections: power, ground, AUX. Does AUX have a function? Is it to illuminate the instrument face?

Old February 12th 19, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:24:00 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

Setting the unit on a level table, the 'horizon' matches the wingspan icon. Tilt and hold unit at 45 degrees and the stepper motor adjusts the 'horizon' to match the wingspan icon. Tilt unit back to level and the stepper moves the 'horizon' back to match the wingspan icon. Same for the opposite tilt. (The wingspan icon is fixed on the glass of the instrument. The 'horizon' is rotated by the stepper motor.)

It's a turn gyro, not a horizon reference. Figure it out.

T8
Old February 12th 19, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

What Evan said.Â* You could place it on a turn table, lazy susan, etc.,
and spin it slowly and it should respond correctly.Â* It's a turn
indicator, like a needle/ball instrument without the ball, IIRC.Â* I used
to have one and I only connected the power (through a toggle switch) and
ground when I had one.Â* BTW, I was not sufficiently impressed with it to
consider cloud flying and I've done a lot of that in powered planes
(needle, ball, airspeed).

On 2/12/2019 4:38 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:24:00 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

It's a turn gyro, not a horizon reference. Figure it out.

T8

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 12th 19, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

It's a riddle, I am NOT an expert.......
Maybe tape the unit to handlebars of a bicycle/motorcycle, apply external power, turn unit on and ride around straight as well as turns in both directions.

Why?

In a car it "banks the wrong way" for a turn.

Just a thought.....I am sure there are better ways, I'm trying to think of cheap and easy ways......

BTW, hi Evan......say Hi to the family......
Old February 12th 19, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 12:31:18 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
It's a riddle, I am NOT an expert.......
Maybe tape the unit to handlebars of a bicycle/motorcycle, apply external power, turn unit on and ride around straight as well as turns in both directions.

Why?

In a car it "banks the wrong way" for a turn.

Just a thought.....I am sure there are better ways, I'm trying to think of cheap and easy ways......

BTW, hi Evan......say Hi to the family......

It should bank the "right" way in a car. In a right turn it will show a right bank. How much depends on the rate of turn, it could be done in a big empty parking lot.

What does the manufacturer say ? Do you have the manual ?

Todd Smith
3S