Testing a TruTrak Pictorial Turn & Bank indicator on the ground?

Old February 12th 19, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Testing a TruTrak Pictorial Turn & Bank indicator on the ground?

Is there a procedure to test/verify a TruTrak Pictorial Turn & Bank on the ground/bench? (It's not installed in the panel yet.)

I've no reason to suspect that this used unit is broken. I'm able to test the continuity and the stepper motor makes a little warble when it powers up.

Setting the unit on a level table, the 'horizon' matches the wingspan icon. Tilt and hold unit at 45 degrees and the stepper motor adjusts the 'horizon' to match the wingspan icon. Tilt unit back to level and the stepper moves the 'horizon' back to match the wingspan icon. Same for the opposite tilt. (The wingspan icon is fixed on the glass of the instrument. The 'horizon' is rotated by the stepper motor.)

I'm not simulating the G, centripetal, and yaw forces that the sensor would read in a real banking aircraft, so the fact that the unit does not rotate the horizon icon to match my level floor is not altogether surprising, but I'm wondering if the behavior of the display as described is expected.

Are there any other tests that I can do before installing the unit in my panel and going for a test flight?

Secondary question. There are three labeled electrical connections: power, ground, AUX. Does AUX have a function? Is it to illuminate the instrument face?

Old February 12th 19, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:24:00 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

Setting the unit on a level table, the 'horizon' matches the wingspan icon. Tilt and hold unit at 45 degrees and the stepper motor adjusts the 'horizon' to match the wingspan icon. Tilt unit back to level and the stepper moves the 'horizon' back to match the wingspan icon. Same for the opposite tilt. (The wingspan icon is fixed on the glass of the instrument. The 'horizon' is rotated by the stepper motor.)

It's a turn gyro, not a horizon reference. Figure it out.

T8
Old February 12th 19, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What Evan said.Â* You could place it on a turn table, lazy susan, etc.,
and spin it slowly and it should respond correctly.Â* It's a turn
indicator, like a needle/ball instrument without the ball, IIRC.Â* I used
to have one and I only connected the power (through a toggle switch) and
ground when I had one.Â* BTW, I was not sufficiently impressed with it to
consider cloud flying and I've done a lot of that in powered planes
(needle, ball, airspeed).

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 12th 19, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

It's a riddle, I am NOT an expert.......
Maybe tape the unit to handlebars of a bicycle/motorcycle, apply external power, turn unit on and ride around straight as well as turns in both directions.

Why?

In a car it "banks the wrong way" for a turn.

Just a thought.....I am sure there are better ways, I'm trying to think of cheap and easy ways......

BTW, hi Evan......say Hi to the family......
Old February 12th 19, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 12:31:18 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
It's a riddle, I am NOT an expert.......
Maybe tape the unit to handlebars of a bicycle/motorcycle, apply external power, turn unit on and ride around straight as well as turns in both directions.

Why?

In a car it "banks the wrong way" for a turn.

Just a thought.....I am sure there are better ways, I'm trying to think of cheap and easy ways......

BTW, hi Evan......say Hi to the family......

It should bank the "right" way in a car. In a right turn it will show a right bank. How much depends on the rate of turn, it could be done in a big empty parking lot.

What does the manufacturer say ? Do you have the manual ?

Todd Smith
3S