Buy Glider without looking

Old December 6th 17, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Buy Glider without looking

Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey
Old December 6th 17, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 22:26:52 UTC+11, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey

I bought mine without looking. So it can happen. Although I paid for an inspection by a local repair shop. Not recommended though, worth the trip even overseas!

Cheers Ben
Old December 6th 17, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Be careful of the scam where you are offered more than your asking price and then a later request to send some of the additional funds to another party usually identified as his broker or similar. The request will come after the check has been cashed but before it has cleared (which it will not).
Old December 6th 17, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 6:26:52 AM UTC-5, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey

I have sold 2 gliders w/o buyer seeing it but your question (I assume tongue in cheek) raises red flags. My local gliderport had 3 gliders listed for sale and all 3 of us got the same offer. The language in the offer often intimates the buyer has no knowledge of soaring. One buyer gave a mailing address which I Googled. It was a vacant house! Check the SSA website to determine if the buyer is a member. If the offer still doesn't pass the smell test insist the buyer send his rep to inspect the ship.
Old December 6th 17, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 6:26:52 AM UTC-5, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey

I forgot one other scam killer. Insist on using an aircraft title company. I know one is available through AOPA.
Old December 6th 17, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I agreed to buy my Pegasus without having seen it in person first. That said, I did have a very knowledgeable person who was very familiar with the glider vouch for its condition. I also listed my glider for sale on W&W and got the same scam reply that you (and others) got.
Old December 6th 17, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 7:08:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

That poor Nigerian Prince probably had to sell all his earthly belongings and move out of his house just to afford your glider! C'mon - have a heart and accept his offer - it's close to Christmas! ;-)
But seriously - the same scam is being pulled worldwide on anything from planes, cars and boats. The German soaring forum is full of warnings about it.. A serious buyer will not object to presenting a cashier's check or a bank transfer.

Uli
'AS'
Old December 6th 17, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 6:26:52 AM UTC-5, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey

Most probably a scam... I got three of those when I was selling my glider.... scam is they send you a check for more than what you ask... then they ask you to refund the "extra" money... by the time their check bounces they are gone with your money... Just ask them to give you their phone number... you'll never hear from them again...

Enrique
KO
Old December 6th 17, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 5:26:52 AM UTC-6, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey

I bought my Libelle out of Germany without seeing it, except for pictures. I wired the owner money and he put the glider on the boat at Bremerhausen. The only glitch was that the bank held onto the money for a few days before actually sending it. The gentleman in Germany did not get his money until the glider was actually loaded on the RoRo boat and out to sea. He was understandably nervous about that. Worked out in the end. That was 18 years ago this month. Still have that Libelle.
Old December 6th 17, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 3:26:52 AM UTC-8, Casey wrote:
...the guy is ... sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping...

Just to go all Captain Obvious on this one, the way this scam typically works is that the check is fake, and usually written for an amount greater than the price of the goods. The check looks real enough that the bank accepts the check for deposit. But a day or two later when it turns out that there are no actual funds behind the check, the bank simply (and rightfully) declines to deposit the non-existent money in your account.

The expectation is that you will send them cash or a wire transfer for the overage before you find out the check is fake. They get the goods and the extra money, and you get nothing. For something awkward like a glider, the "shipping arrangements" are often fictional, and all they're after is the money.

--Bob K.