Buy Glider without looking

Old December 7th 17, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Buy Glider without looking

Le jeudi 7 décembre 2017 12:31:08 UTC+1, a écritÂ*:
If anyone is truly sure they are being scammed then why not play with the prospective buyer a little. I was selling an item, non gliding related, and suspected I was being scammed. So I told the buyer that the gonculator valve was acting up and would need to be replaced and that also the intermittent relay diode regulator did not work either. Buddy was OK with these and would replace them when he received the item.

I remember a story where some guy took up the challenge and actually made the scammer pay him hundred dollars.
Old December 7th 17, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Here is an entertaining "turning the tables on a scammer" article for your reading enjoyment.

I cannot even believe what they were able to get this scammer to do.

http://419eater.com/html/okorie.htm

Old December 7th 17, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Quietpilot

truly entertaining stories.
http://419eater.com/html/SkeletonCoast/
and
http://419eater.com/html/RoadToChadDarfur/ are my favorites.
Old December 9th 17, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 6:26:52 AM UTC-5, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey

Maybe I missing something but not sure why your worried about scam.

You have the glider. The buyer is sending you a cashier's check and arranging for shipping.

Therefore, you can cash the check before the bill of sale is signed and the glider is shipped.

So you get your money and he gets the glider.

Did i miss something?
Old December 9th 17, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Banks sometimes take weeks to realize the cashiers check is bogus. Then they want their money back.

Old December 11th 17, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 1:14:47 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 6:26:52 AM UTC-5, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey

Maybe I missing something but not sure why your worried about scam.

You have the glider. The buyer is sending you a cashier's check and arranging for shipping.

Therefore, you can cash the check before the bill of sale is signed and the glider is shipped.

So you get your money and he gets the glider.

Did i miss something?

Yeah, you missed about $100k or so. To review, cashier's checks can be FORGED. That means they are NO GOOD. Got it now?

Tom
Old December 11th 17, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Maybe I missing something but not sure why your worried about scam.

You have the glider. The buyer is sending you a cashier's check and arranging for shipping.

Therefore, you can cash the check before the bill of sale is signed and the glider is shipped.

So you get your money and he gets the glider.

Did i miss something?

Only one of the oldest scams since the internet was invented. ;-)

Old December 12th 17, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Sometimes, buying a glider without looking is the best way to do it. Otherwise, you might not. :-)

Steve Leonard
Old December 13th 17, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 4:33:51 PM UTC-6, Steve Leonard wrote:
Sometimes, buying a glider without looking is the best way to do it. Otherwise, you might not. :-)

Steve Leonard

Yeah... Sounds like: 'I'll give a good piece of advice - do what you think is right...'
Old December 15th 17, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

It appears that a couple of the inquires I received are from scammers.

First guy got me down on price a little, said he would send a check, got my name and address. All coms via email and coms were very proper. Almost too good. He responded days after each of his inquires even when I responded immediately to his. I never received a check so I contacted an inquirer only a day after the deal with 1st buyer.

Second guy texted and took a long time to respond back. I looked up his area code in Oregon. Oregon is a long way from NC to buy a glider, or are there no decent glider on the west coast?
He wanted my Name and physical address and not my PO box. Later he wanted my email address to let me know the check was on the way. I said to just text me that info and that I do not give out my email address. I then asked him to call me or I would assume he is a scammer. He called and the connection was poor and delayed, but I was able to pick out a south African accent. Told him connection was too bad and I could not understand him. I asked for his name and pilot certificate number. He text back "Sorry am an engine, Marine engine. and i only request for my son Birthday gift. His a pilot." BTW, first guy was also buyer glider for his son.

BTW, I have sold many high value items over the web. Once I received a stolen check from church in Ohio. Another time received a counterfeit cashiers check from a bank in NY. Check looked real, but then the emblem was just so slightly blurred. Bank in NY did not have that check number on file. Never heard back from either of those guys. And there have been several dozen more I've either ignored or played around with. Talked to a guy in Kenya for awhile on the phone once. I could hear other conversations in the background.

So my conclusion is either; 1) scammers are hitting Wings and Wheels, or 2) fellow sellers are trying to discourage other sellers with possibly similar gliders to withdraw their ad due to getting frustrated with scammers, leaving less completion form them in selling their gliders.

Anything is possible.