Grand Teton Crash

Old June 11th 18, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ernst

Default Grand Teton Crash

Carnage continues, who is next?
https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...18ec7dcb9.html

It is sickening, what can we do to stop this?
If it is experience, we would talk about other things.

Thinking about Kristine and her passenger David...

Ernst
Old June 11th 18, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 03:46 11 June 2018, Ernst wrote:
Carnage continues, who is next?
https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...rticle_8704656

4-e466-535c-a04c-b3918ec7dcb9.html

It is sickening, what can we do to stop this?
If it is experience, we would talk about other things.

Thinking about Kristine and her passenger David...

Ernst

Ouch... That makes two from the Cloudstreet video. Condolences to
the families involved, and also Bill Hill and Mark Mocho...

RO

Old June 11th 18, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

So sorry to read about this accident.
Does anyone know about the weather conditions at the time of the accident?
I'm curious if it was windy or stormy.

The NTSB report that came out on the Glider Bob Saunders accident in Telluride Colorado put the blame on the strong summertime stormy weather.
Apparently he was overpowered by a collapsing storm cell above him. They indicated they found nothing wrong with his Stemme motorglider.

Old June 11th 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 10:46:11 PM UTC-5, Ernst wrote:
Carnage continues, who is next?
https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...18ec7dcb9.html

It is sickening, what can we do to stop this?
If it is experience, we would talk about other things.

Thinking about Kristine and her passenger David...

Ernst

Carnage? No, a tragic accident.

Look up the definition of Carnage. Using that term demeans the memory of the unfortunate victims.

Would you have said the same if they had died in a car accident?

Kirk
Old June 13th 18, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 8:43:33 AM UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:
So sorry to read about this accident.
Does anyone know about the weather conditions at the time of the accident?
I'm curious if it was windy or stormy.

The NTSB report that came out on the Glider Bob Saunders accident in Telluride Colorado put the blame on the strong summertime stormy weather.
Apparently he was overpowered by a collapsing storm cell above him. They indicated they found nothing wrong with his Stemme motorglider.

Nick,

The day and time glider Bob went in, Loy and I were in Aztec and observed what I thought must have been the most intense / tallest OD I had ever seen over the San Jans, and figured it was probably between Purgatory and Telluride, thinking I was sure glad I wasn't flying there then. When we heard of the crash, I felt pretty sure Bob must have hit a severe downdraft shear. I'd feel a pretty good guess would be sudden down wind shear in this latest crash.
19

Old June 14th 18, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Agreed, sad day anytime we lose humans doing something.
Tough on the families and friends.
In the US, also tough on anyone even remotely close since some will be "lawyering up" to see who pays, even if was just an unfortunate incident.

Condolences to everyone affected.
Old June 14th 18, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Very very sad to read of this accident.

This report has the accident occurring at 12:00.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=212026

From Weather Underground, wind on June 9 at 11:56 at Driggs was 21 mph gusting to 25 mph, sky clear. Wind in the nearby mountains at 10,800 ft might have been greater and might have been more gusty:

https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=
Old June 14th 18, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Thursday, 14 June 2018 13:05:14 UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
Very very sad to read of this accident.

This report has the accident occurring at 12:00.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=212026

From Weather Underground, wind on June 9 at 11:56 at Driggs was 21 mph gusting to 25 mph, sky clear. Wind in the nearby mountains at 10,800 ft might have been greater and might have been more gusty:

https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=

Steve, I looked around online for any weather stations on the mountain peaks, mainly Snotel, but could not find any or they are offline for the non-winter months. The station on top of the tram Jackson Hole was not reporting and I am not sure if it has historical data.

Here in Northern UT we had strong pre-frontal S/SW winds before the passing of a cold front from the NW Saturday night.

Sad, sad situation

Ron Gleason
Old June 14th 18, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 1:17:34 PM UTC-6, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Thursday, 14 June 2018 13:05:14 UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
Very very sad to read of this accident.

This report has the accident occurring at 12:00.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=212026

From Weather Underground, wind on June 9 at 11:56 at Driggs was 21 mph gusting to 25 mph, sky clear. Wind in the nearby mountains at 10,800 ft might have been greater and might have been more gusty:

https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=

Steve, I looked around online for any weather stations on the mountain peaks, mainly Snotel, but could not find any or they are offline for the non-winter months. The station on top of the tram Jackson Hole was not reporting and I am not sure if it has historical data.

Here in Northern UT we had strong pre-frontal S/SW winds before the passing of a cold front from the NW Saturday night.

Sad, sad situation

Ron Gleason

There is some info on the weather in this article....

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...451298d23.html