1920's Gliding Footage

Old January 24th 19, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default 1920's Gliding Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-2...ature=youtu.be

Some interesting footage in here.
Sad ending thou..
Old January 26th 19, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:30:45 AM UTC-8, Nick Kennedy wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-2...ature=youtu.be

Some interesting footage in here.
Sad ending thou..

And the need for a seatbelt was discovered. Seatbelt invented shortly after flight.
Old January 26th 19, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wow! I guess necessity truly is the Mother of invention. I had a similar situation while helping to develop a Ice Boat utilizing windsurfing sails. I got bounced out of the cockpit on rough ice at 50 miles per hour and realized immediately, we needed to incorporate seat belts.
Old January 26th 19, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Wow! I guess necessity truly is the Mother of invention. I had a similar
situation while helping to develop a Ice Boat utilizing windsurfing sails.
I got bounced out of the cockpit on rough ice at 50 miles per hour and
realized immediately, we needed to incorporate seat belts.

1912 - Harriet Quimby and passenger were early pioneers demonstrating this
sensibility...thousands watched.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old January 26th 19, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Interesting find. Humorous to see flying listed as a "fad" just over 1/2 way through.
Old January 26th 19, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 9:03:25 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Wow! I guess necessity truly is the Mother of invention. I had a similar situation while helping to develop a Ice Boat utilizing windsurfing sails. I got bounced out of the cockpit on rough ice at 50 miles per hour and realized immediately, we needed to incorporate seat belts.

- One must admire the tenacity of mankind. When watching a man get tossed from an ice boat at 50 MPH or watching another man get tossed to his death the thought is "Must invent way to secure pink flesh to vehicle", not "I won't do that again". Wasn't the helmet invented the same way?
Old January 26th 19, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Werner Schmidt

Jonathan St. Cloud wrote 01.26.19 at 20:13:

- One must admire the tenacity of mankind. When watching a man get tossed from an ice boat at 50 MPH or watching another man get tossed to his death the thought is "Must invent way to secure pink flesh to vehicle", not "I won't do that again". Wasn't the helmet invented the same way?

wasn't the helmet invented for sword fighting?

However, someone didn't think "I won't do that again", so you are right
.... ;-)

Regards

Werner
Old January 26th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

At 19:27 26 January 2019, Werner Schmidt wrote:
Jonathan St. Cloud wrote 01.26.19 at 20:13:

- One must admire the tenacity of mankind. When watching a

man get tossed
from an ice boat at 50 MPH or watching another man get tossed

to his death
the thought is "Must invent way to secure pink flesh to vehicle",

not "I
won't do that again". Wasn't the helmet invented the same

way?

wasn't the helmet invented for sword fighting?

However, someone didn't think "I won't do that again", so you

are right
.... ;-)

Regards

Werner

A lot of the clips show excessive use of elevator, full pos to full
neg in less than a couple of seconds.

Old January 26th 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Well, we know better now, close to 100 years ago, much different thoughts...... yes, looks like a lot of control movement,,maybe due to unstable aircraft....or, likely lack of knowledge.....

Still interesting film of "the early days"......way before my time........by many decades.....
Old January 29th 19, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 10:30:45 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-2...ature=youtu.be

Some interesting footage in here.
Sad ending thou..

Now I am going to feel underdressed each time I fly a glider: No sportcoat, tweeds, tie, oh... and parachute.