I give up, after many, many years!

Old May 12th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Default I give up, after many, many years!

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I don't take seriously any posters who use handles instead
of their real names.

That's a little extreme, IMO ... I don't think a person should have to
use their real name to be taken seriously. Some people aren't
comfortable using their real names, and in many instances, with just
cause. I think it's more important how people conduct themselves than
whether or not they use their real names ... but ... to each, his own.
Old May 12th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Character, it's been said, is what you do when no one is watching.
These days on the 'net it's demonstrated in other ways. Oh well.

Old May 12th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Character, it's been said, is what you do when no one is watching.
These days on the 'net it's demonstrated in other ways. Oh well.

On May 11, 11:33 am, Jay Somerset wrote:
I give up -- not flying -- but subscribing to this NG. It is just too
riddled with crap and backbiting, to the point that it carries little
if any useful exchange of interest to active pilots. It isn't worth
the effort any more, even with multiple kill files.

So good riddance to 90+% of the posts, and the few idiots who have
managed to spoil the NG over the past couple of years, and farewell to
those few remaining sensible contributors. I admire your patience and
tolerance. Mine have given out!
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

Old May 12th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On May 11, 6:16 pm, Shirl wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I don't take seriously any posters who use handles instead
of their real names.

That's a little extreme, IMO ... I don't think a person should have to
use their real name to be taken seriously. Some people aren't
comfortable using their real names, and in many instances, with just
cause. I think it's more important how people conduct themselves than
whether or not they use their real names ... but ... to each, his own.

Case in point? The people that got sued by Zoom for posting
on Usenet.
Lou
Old May 12th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On May 11, 7:16 pm, Shirl wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I don't take seriously any posters who use handles instead
of their real names.

That's a little extreme, IMO ... I don't think a person should have to
use their real name to be taken seriously. Some people aren't
comfortable using their real names, and in many instances, with just
cause. I think it's more important how people conduct themselves than
whether or not they use their real names ... but ... to each, his own.

You do have a point because legitimate posts also come from anonymous
posters. But if you browse the topics, nearly all inflammatory posts
come from people whose names are fake, and people with real names have
rarely made such posts, although there are exceptions. Anonymity is
critical in some newsgroups, such as abuse, drugs etc.. In aviation
there might be an occasional need for anonymity, to discuss accidents
or similar things. But for just plain shooting the breeze, as we often
do in this group, I don't see anonymity as a basic requirement.

Old May 12th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Shirl:

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
You do have a point because legitimate posts also come from anonymous
posters. But if you browse the topics, nearly all inflammatory posts
come from people whose names are fake, and people with real names have
rarely made such posts, although there are exceptions.

I agree with that.

Anonymity is
critical in some newsgroups, such as abuse, drugs etc.. In aviation
there might be an occasional need for anonymity, to discuss accidents
or similar things. But for just plain shooting the breeze, as we often
do in this group, I don't see anonymity as a basic requirement.

I don't see either as a "requirement", I just don't judge anyone's
credibility *or lack of credibility* solely on whether or not they use
their real name to post ,,, whether it's to shoot the breeze or to
discuss something substantial. But again, that's JMO.
Old May 12th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Shirl:

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
You do have a point because legitimate posts also come from anonymous
posters. But if you browse the topics, nearly all inflammatory posts
come from people whose names are fake, and people with real names have
rarely made such posts, although there are exceptions.

I agree with that.

Anonymity is
critical in some newsgroups, such as abuse, drugs etc.. In aviation
there might be an occasional need for anonymity, to discuss accidents
or similar things. But for just plain shooting the breeze, as we often
do in this group, I don't see anonymity as a basic requirement.

I don't see either as a "requirement", I just don't judge anyone's
credibility *or lack of credibility* solely on whether or not they use
their real name to post ,,, whether it's to shoot the breeze or to
discuss something substantial. But again, that's JMO.

I've been posting on the pilot forums using my own name for about 10
years. Two things immediately come to mind;

The first was when someone made a HUGE deal about the fact that it
didn't matter a hoot whether or not I used my own name or not since
neither I or anyone else could prove I was in fact Dudley Henriques.

The second incident involved someone who claimed I couldn't be Dudley
Henriques because he knew Dudley Henriques and I wasn't him.
On this incident, my wife answered him asking him to PLEASE send the
real Dudley Henriques home at once because the one she had been living
with for 42 years hated to do yard work.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old May 12th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marc CYBW[_2_]

Best laugh I've had on this forum in years!

Thanks,
Marc

p.s. still a shame on what this NG has turned into. :-( I'm with Jay and
about to throw in the towel.

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Shirl:

Old May 12th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Marc CYBW wrote:
Best laugh I've had on this forum in years!

Thanks,
Marc

p.s. still a shame on what this NG has turned into. :-( I'm with Jay and
about to throw in the towel.

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Shirl:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
[...]

I'd hate to see that happen to anyone.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old May 12th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Dudley Henriques wrote:
I've been posting on the pilot forums using my own name for about 10
years. Two things immediately come to mind;

The first was when someone made a HUGE deal about the fact that it
didn't matter a hoot whether or not I used my own name or not since
neither I or anyone else could prove I was in fact Dudley Henriques.

The second incident involved someone who claimed I couldn't be Dudley
Henriques because he knew Dudley Henriques and I wasn't him.
On this incident, my wife answered him asking him to PLEASE send the
real Dudley Henriques home at once because the one she had been living
with for 42 years hated to do yard work.

LOL.
I also have a friend who posted using his own name ... just so happens
he is in the television industry and of course, nobody believed it was
really him, they told him he was full of _ _ _ _, etc. It was both
humorous and frustrating for him. Really, it doesn't matter WHAT name
you use ... there can be problems either way.

DC-3 parts to give away Robert Little Restoration 2 November 23rd 06 04:30 AM
Who can give a checkout? Mark S Conway General Aviation 2 May 9th 05 12:15 AM
Winch give-away KP Soaring 6 January 11th 05 09:04 PM
Did you ever give up on an IR? No Such User Piloting 24 November 26th 03 03:45 PM
FS 2004 give away Ozzie M Simulators 0 November 23rd 03 04:50 PM