Lycoming 0-360 A4M Engine overhaul in Ohio

Old January 11th 05, 03:53 PM
Roy Page

Default Lycoming 0-360 A4M Engine overhaul in Ohio

We are based in NE Ohio and looking to overhaul another Archer's engine
soon.
We had a bad experience recently with core charges from Lycoming and have
decided to do a field overhaul on this bird.
We would like to fly the bird in so we are looking at companies within a
reasonable distance of NE Ohio.
We are considering going to G&N Aircraft, Signature Engines or maybe Magnum
Engines.
Do any of the readers have good or bad experiences with any of the above.
Maybe someone may be able to suggest other companies within a reasonable
distance.
This time around, we are going to get the vendor to remove, overhaul, refit
test etc.
All and any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Roy Page - Secretary
Taylorcraft Flying Club, Inc.
http://www.taylorcraftflyingclub.org

Old January 11th 05, 04:39 PM
jls

"Roy Page" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

I have excellent experience with this independent engine overhaul shop.
Pricing is very reasonable too:

TRIAD AVIATION, INC.
3439 South Aviation Drive
Burlington, NC 27215
Phone: 336-227-1467
Phone: 800-334-6437

Old January 11th 05, 05:05 PM
Dave Butler

Roy Page wrote:
We are based in NE Ohio and looking to overhaul another Archer's engine
soon.
We had a bad experience recently with core charges from Lycoming and have
decided to do a field overhaul on this bird.

Good choice, IMO.

We would like to fly the bird in so we are looking at companies within a
reasonable distance of NE Ohio.

Another good decision. Makes warranty issues easier to handle.

We are considering going to G&N Aircraft, Signature Engines or maybe Magnum
Engines.

I don't have any personal experience, but others have said good things about G&N.

Do any of the readers have good or bad experiences with any of the above.
Maybe someone may be able to suggest other companies within a reasonable
distance.
This time around, we are going to get the vendor to remove, overhaul, refit
test etc.

Yet another good decision. Gives you accountability for warranty issues.

All and any comments will be appreciated.

Compare prices between overhauled cylinders and new Lyc cylinders. Last I
checked the diefference wasn't much. IMO, go for the new Lycs.

Thanks guys.

Old January 11th 05, 05:44 PM
Dave Butler

jls wrote:

I have excellent experience with this independent engine overhaul shop.
Pricing is very reasonable too:

TRIAD AVIATION, INC.
3439 South Aviation Drive
Burlington, NC 27215
Phone: 336-227-1467
Phone: 800-334-6437

I'll add my praise for Triad Engines. They've done 2 overhauls for me and are my
shop of choice for overhauls.

The OP said he was looking for something in Ohio.
Old January 11th 05, 05:45 PM
Dave Butler

dlevy wrote:
How would one go about locating a local engine overhaul shop? Is there a
list somewhere?

Ask local A&P/IAs for their recommendations.
Old January 11th 05, 08:52 PM
jls

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
jls wrote:

I have excellent experience with this independent engine overhaul shop.
Pricing is very reasonable too:

TRIAD AVIATION, INC.
3439 South Aviation Drive
Burlington, NC 27215
Phone: 336-227-1467
Phone: 800-334-6437

I'll add my praise for Triad Engines. They've done 2 overhauls for me and

are my
shop of choice for overhauls.

The OP said he was looking for something in Ohio.

Or "within a reasonable distance." Well, I'll go to Indiana and Minnesota
for some parts and to Texas too. But as meticulous a job as these guys do
on engines, I'd not consider Triad that far away from Ohio, particularly
since airplanes have shrunken the continent. OTOH, I believe G&N is
reputable.

Old January 11th 05, 09:05 PM
Dave Butler

jls wrote:
"Dave Butler" wrote in message

The OP said he was looking for something in Ohio.

Or "within a reasonable distance." Well, I'll go to Indiana and Minnesota
for some parts and to Texas too. But as meticulous a job as these guys do
on engines, I'd not consider Triad that far away from Ohio, particularly
since airplanes have shrunken the continent. OTOH, I believe G&N is
reputable.

Just my opinion, but when you have warranty issues, OH to NC is not reasonable.
You want a vendor really nearby. Parts is fine, but for an overhaul... I'll stay
close to home.

Opinions vary. That's mine. I earned my opinion through bitter experience with a
long-distance overhaul. Never again. It doesn't matter how well-meaning the
people are on both ends of the pipe. If the pipe is too long, it makes
everything harder to resolve.
Old January 11th 05, 10:47 PM
jls

jls wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. I'll go along with that reason for staying close to home.

Old January 13th 05, 10:31 PM

I recently had work on my Lycoming done by Poplar Grove Airmotive at
Poplar Grove Airport, near Rockford IL - might be further than you want
to go, but excellent experience.

Lycoming 0-360 factory overhaul core charges - Does Air Powertell the truth ? Mike Spera Owning 6 December 13th 04 02:13 AM
Major Overhaul Jim Weir Owning 10 June 8th 04 05:12 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
Engine... Overhaul? / Replace? advice please text news Owning 11 February 17th 04 05:44 PM
When does an engine needs an overhaul? Victor Owning 9 August 15th 03 04:17 PM