Geeky GPS question (PCI card, possibly off-topic)

Old June 14th 05, 03:46 PM
Tina Marie

In article .com, Ben Hallert wrote:
Followup question, while doing this to get the current data is its own
rewards, I wonder if there would be any implications for
IFR-worthiness? I imagine it depends on what the POH supplement says
about where the data can come from.

I'm guessing it would invalidate the IFR-ness. I certainly would be
hesitant to fly hard IFR behind data I reverse engineered, then generated
myself. But the panel-mount in question is VFR-only anyway.

Tina Marie
--
http://www.tripacerdriver.com "...One of the main causes
of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way
Old June 15th 05, 02:49 AM
Chuck

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:45:13 -0500, Tina Marie
wrote:

In article , Ben Jackson wrote:
Since you clarified you meant "PC card", then yes. The easiest way
is going to be to get a laptop, boot linux (could be from CD) and insert
the card. It will almost certainly recognize it as a storage card. Then
you have to figure out what's stored on it. Might be a filesystem (likely
FAT16) or it might be flat data.

Hm. My laptop runs XP, but I saw a floppy-drive-like-device that lets you
plug a PC card into a desktoy which I could put in my linux machine to
try it. If it's FAT16, the XP box might be able to see it. I'll try
that first, if it doesn't work, I'll go buy the hardware for my linux box.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Micro$oft operating system have a
nasty habit of "fixing" the crucial areas that it THINKS are not
right.

I've got two drives here with a total of 110GIG of data that Winblows
has made inaccessable. On one, it started creating additional File
Allocation Tables until nothing was recognizable any more. The other,
it rewrote the LBA mapping file and everything is gone -- poof!

Use the Linux system. At least, it won't try to modify anything when
you try to mount the removable drive. If it can't mount it -- it will
just error instead of trying to "fix" it. And you can always tell
Linux "mount -ro /dev/DEVICE". That way, its mounted read-only and
you're sure of not messing up your only data source.

Chuck

Old June 15th 05, 01:25 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-06-14, Tina Marie wrote:
Hm. My laptop runs XP

In which case use Knoppix 2.9 (http://www.knoppix.org). It's a complete
Linux system that runs off a CD and doesn't need installing. The latest
version even happily uses some of the more exotic bleeding edge hardware
we have floating around here.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old June 15th 05, 03:34 PM
Michael Nickolas

I always bump into memory limitations,

I think that is the reason for no more Airmap 100 updates. New
databases wont fit anymore...

Michael Nickolas
www.studionineproductions.com
Old June 15th 05, 05:15 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Michael Nickolas wrote:

I always bump into memory limitations,

I think that is the reason for no more Airmap 100 updates. New
databases wont fit anymore...

If you could select your "POI"s then that might not be an issue. ie.
remove VOR/NDB/ILS/Obstruction/Seaplane waypoints to keep an uptodate
airport reference. This is all easily done with the Magellans upload
software. The GPS might not be as useful, but still useable...

AOPA VISA card fraud via XM Radio? Dan Luke Piloting 5 July 5th 04 06:38 PM
Graphics Jim Chambers Simulators 14 April 22nd 04 03:29 AM
Gasp-- On Topic RAM question! Charles Gray Military Aviation 10 December 28th 03 05:53 PM
On topic: A-Bomb necessary? A different approach? old hoodoo Military Aviation 24 December 24th 03 08:58 PM
Off topic question - Are you receiving viruses? Mike Williams Rotorcraft 8 September 27th 03 04:14 AM