New GPS from Honeywell/Bendix-King in the works

Old June 20th 05, 09:43 PM
Jim Burns

Default New GPS from Honeywell/Bendix-King in the works

Another post has raised my curiosity about the availabity of GPSS converters
to provide pseudo roll steering inputs to our S-Tec 60-2 autopilot via our
KLN 94 GPS and a converter.

Long story short, at this time we're out of luck. The KLN 94 GPS outputs a
RS232 signal that isn't tagged correctly for S-Tec's GPSS Converter (UPS
GPS's RS232 signals are however) but the S-Tec converter would rather have
an ARINC 429 signal to play with.

DAC International's Converter has problems with the KLN94's slow update
cycle of 3 seconds and produces a wandering S turning and constantly
correcting snake path along the selected route.

So after talking with S-Tec and DAC, I decided to call King. or Honeywell or
who ever they are this week. The guy I talked to was genuinely enthused.
He knew the problem of the KLN94 lacking the correct signal tags and said
that rather than continuing to update the KLN94's software into areas that
it hadn't been designed to be taken, they have a new panel mount GPS in the
works. Not just on the drawing board, the new box's hardware has been
completed and now they are adding features and options. I pressed him for
details several times and he said that the new company really hasn't
released any public information but he said there will be several "versions"
of the box. I asked him what form or size factor it would take and if all
of the KLN94 owners would have to rearrange their panels. He said no, the
new company feels that they have a lot of KLN89B's and 94's out there and
would like to give those customers a simple and cost effective way to
"upgrade" and there will definitely be a version that may require a new
tray, but will slide into the same hole.

He said they are working on added optional features such as a larger form
factor with larger screen, adding TCAS, moving map, and weather. I asked
him if they were considering adding COM and NAV abilities ie Garmin's
430/530 and he said that although the company wouldn't let him announce it
publicly, he could tell me that "the current hardware would allow those
abilities and features."

As far as the GPSS feature, he said that the new box would have an ARINC 429
output and that the box itself would have GPSS output capabilities that may
eliminate the need for any GPSS converters. This lead me to ask if the new
box GPSS outputs would be directly compatible with non King autopilots and
all he would tell me was that the "new company was much more receptive to
non-proprietary ideas than the old company and they've got a lot of plans
and a lot of things are happening now."

I told him I looked forward to stopping by their booth at OSH and he said
they would have more information available then and would be happy to talk
about what is new at Honeywell Bendix King.

Jim

Old June 20th 05, 09:44 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Another post has raised my curiosity about the availabity of GPSS

converters
to provide pseudo roll steering inputs to our S-Tec 60-2 autopilot via our
KLN 94 GPS and a converter.

Long story short, at this time we're out of luck. The KLN 94 GPS outputs

RS232 signal that isn't tagged correctly for S-Tec's GPSS Converter (UPS
GPS's RS232 signals are however) but the S-Tec converter would rather have
an ARINC 429 signal to play with.

DAC International's Converter has problems with the KLN94's slow update
cycle of 3 seconds and produces a wandering S turning and constantly
correcting snake path along the selected route.

Hmmm...I don;t get that with a KFC200 system.

[...]

Another nice feature would be a GAMA output.

Old June 20th 05, 10:43 PM
Jim Burns

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Hmmm...I don;t get that with a KFC200 system.

I'm not familiar with the KFC200, but could it be makeing use of the KLN94's
DC roll steering output?

Jim

Old June 20th 05, 11:08 PM
Mike Granby

Hi again, Jim!

I spoke to a King guy at AOPA's fly-in, and got a similar story. He
said that the WAAS GPS engine had been designed, built, tested etc. but
that the final form of the product hadn't been decided. He said there
were two camps -- those who wanted a stand-alone navigator to replace
the KLN-94, and those who wanted a GPS-NAV-COM to go after the 430/530.
His preference was for the former, but he didn't know how it would go.
He doubted, though, that they'd do both. My own guess would be that
they'd go for the KLN-94 style product, as they have a huge installed
base of KLN-89/90B/94 users with KX-155/165/155A/165A units in their
panels.

Mike.

Old June 20th 05, 11:58 PM
Mike Granby

It almost sounded like a Motherboard/daughterboard type setup,

This fit. The guy at AOPA talked about the GPS board, and other
boards...

Old June 21st 05, 01:39 AM
Jim Burns

Hi Mike,

This sounds like the same story I heard today, BUT, it sounds like the two
camps are closer together. It really sounded like the COM/NAV featurs would
be available as options in a KLN94 style upgraded box, however, that version
may take on a larger size format, so I suppose if you wanted that version it
really wouldn't be a slide in replacement, but would function similarly to
the KLN94 so the learning curve wouldn't be too steep. For those who didn't
want the COM/NAV, TCAS, or MFD type features, a version would be available
that will be the same size as the 94.

It almost sounded like a Motherboard/daughterboard type setup, because he
mentioned "adding" features and options to a standard box but that
upgradeable box may be larger size where the standard 94 swapable box may
not be able to take on all the features of the big box.

Jim

Old June 21st 05, 01:48 AM
Jim Burns

Oh, and he said that they would definately have an upgrade program available
to the 94 owners, "maybe" the 90B owners, but probably not the 89B owners.
Now the question that I just thought of, after reading your response a
second time....

Could they be designing a "standard" 94 replacement (small version), and in
addition was he hinting that the larger box with the Com/Nav card being the
correct height to replace both a 94 and one KX155??

We've got dual KX155's, and for the right price I'd give them the 94 and a
155 for a WASS GPSS capable 3-in 1 430 type product with a larger screen
capable of displaying additional MFD inputs over the moving GPS map.
Especially if it was updated with only one subscription!

Jim

oups.com...

Old June 21st 05, 04:00 AM
john smith

Explain this "new company"/"old company" thing to me?
Old June 21st 05, 10:18 PM
Dan Luke

Yaayyy! (provisionally)