Canyon Turns

Old March 11th 04, 03:06 AM
Marc Lattoni

Default Canyon Turns

I found a new rental opportunity at CYBW (Springbank, Alberta) with a brand
new 172SP the other day and today went out for a Mountain check ride with
the chief CFI.

Now, I did two mountain courses over the past 18 months - one with my
original training outfit and one with the local flying club. All well. Ridge
approaches, choosing the right side of the valley, updrafts, downdrafts,
lenticular clouds, rotors, 45 degrees turns, etc.

Today we did canyon turns, not at 30, not at 45 but more than 45 degrees.
Sort of standing the airplane on its wingtip as we turn.

YIKES. I just could not get it all together. What a mess. Any more of a
mess and it would have been a real mess, the kind you need soap and Lysol
for. So, no more mountain flying until I can get this right.

Anyways folks, any suggestions? I am going to try to get this right another
day.

Marc

Old March 11th 04, 05:05 AM
Mike Rapoport

Practice rolling the airplane into the turn slower, figure out the required
power and pitch. Keep in mind that if you start to climb or descend in a
60deg bank, the elevator won't do much. You either have to flatten out the
bank or get the pitch/power/bank right the first time. When you have that
nailed, start rolling into the turn faster. It gets fun. In real world
flying, you are probably better off with 45deg with flaps and a lower
airspeed then 60deg and a higher airspeed. Keep in mind that most planes
are rated to only +2G with the flaps extended, so don't do 60deg banks with
flaps.

Mike
MU-2

Old March 11th 04, 09:59 AM
John Harper

There's a BIG difference between 45 and 60 degree banked
turns - which is why I practice 60 degree turns, makes 45 deg
turns seem a piece of cake. You need LOTS of pull on the yoke.
Start pulling at 30, and start to pull a lot harder at 45. In my
182 it takes two hands to hold the plane level through 360 deg,
unless you retrim (which I prefer not to, although this is a matter
of taste). If the nose starts to drop, take out some of the bank
AS WELL AS pulling back.

John

Old March 11th 04, 02:47 PM
Robert Moore

"Marc Lattoni" wrote

Today we did canyon turns, not at 30, not at 45 but more than 45
degrees. Sort of standing the airplane on its wingtip as we turn.

Yep! We fought this battle for about two weeks last year.
There were two groups, one was the slow down and use flaps
with a shallow angle of bank and the other group (me) quoting
the aerodynamic textbook solution of flying at maneuver speed
and using about 75 degrees angle-of-bank.

Quoting from "Aerodynamics For Naval Aviators":

"The aerodynamic limit of turn radius requires that increased
velocity be utilized to produce increasing load factors and
greater angles of bank"

"The maneuver speed is the minimum speed necessary to develop
aerodynamically the limit load factor and it produces the
minimum turn radius within aerodynamic and structural limits."

Bob Moore
Old March 11th 04, 03:20 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:47:43 GMT, Robert Moore
wrote in Message-Id:
:

There were two groups, one was the slow down and use flaps
with a shallow angle of bank and the other group (me) quoting
the aerodynamic textbook solution of flying at maneuver speed
and using about 75 degrees angle-of-bank.

On 4/21/2000 John T. Lowry, PhD (author of: Performance of Light
Aircraft ISBN 1-56347-330-5) said:

degree turned) is slightly above 45 degrees. See Performance of
Light Aircraft p. 295. Rogers neglected the inclination of the
flight path angle. For GA aircraft the extra angle beyond 45
degrees is, admittedly, negligible. For a Cessna 172, flaps up, I
get 45.4 degrees for the best turnaround bank angle. Now for that
flamed-out jet fighter ...

And on 1 Nov 1999 07:11:02 -0700:
turned through) for a gliding airplane is given by:

cos(phi) = (sqrt(2)/2)*sqrt(1-k^2)

where k = CD0/CLmax + CLmax/(pi*e*A)

where CD0 is the parasite drag coefficient, CLmax is the maximum
lift coefficient for the airplane's flaps configuration, e is the
airplane efficiency factor, and A is the wing aspect ratio. I know
most ng readers hate those darned formulas, but that's the way the
world works.

For GA propeller-driven airplanes, k is a small number (0.116 for
a Cessna 172, flaps up) and so the best turnaround bank angle is
very closely the 45 degrees cited by Rogers and, much earlier, by
Langewiesche (Stick and Rudder, p. 358). For the above Cessna, for
instance, it's 45.4 degrees. For a flamed-out jet fighter,
however, things are considerably different.

The formulas above, along with formulas for the banked stall
speed, for banked gliding flight path angle, and for the minimum
altitude loss in a 180-degree turn, can all be found in my recent
book Performance of Light Aircraft, pp. 294-296. The following
seven pages then treat the return-to-airport maneuver, from start
of the takeoff roll to contact with the runway or terrain, in
excruciating detail. Including wind effects, the typical
four-second hesitation when the engine stops, etc.

See also:

Old March 11th 04, 09:00 PM
Robert Moore

Larry Dighera wrote

degree turned) is slightly above 45 degrees.

Note that all of Lowery's discussions deal with minimizing altitude
loss during a "loss of power return to the field". This is not the
same as minimizing turn radius in a canyon where altitude loss may
not be a factor and where power is still available to maintain air-
speed during the high-g turn.

Once again, I did not post post anything about a "return to the field"
but simply quoted a highly respected aerodynamics text with regard to
minimizing turn radius.

Bob Moore
Old March 11th 04, 09:40 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 8...
Larry Dighera wrote

degree turned) is slightly above 45 degrees.

Note that all of Lowery's discussions deal with minimizing altitude
loss during a "loss of power return to the field". This is not the
same as minimizing turn radius in a canyon where altitude loss may
not be a factor and where power is still available to maintain air-
speed during the high-g turn.

Once again, I did not post post anything about a "return to the field"
but simply quoted a highly respected aerodynamics text with regard to
minimizing turn radius.

Bob Moore

Hi Bob;
There's a difference between a fighter turning at Vc (corner velocity) and a
Canyon Turn. Corner provides both maximum turn rate and minimum turn radius
ONLY if maximum available radial g is applied! Below corner the fighter is
aerodynamically limited at the Cl line, and above corner limited by the max
available load factor out to the limit LF.
A Canyon turn isn't a constant altitude turn against a maximum g like a
fighter turning at it's Vc. It's in fact, partly an unloaded turn through
the vertical plane if airspeed has to be bled, or decreasing in altitude
through the steepest part of the bank angle used if initiated below cruise.
These are the subtle differences between these two turns.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old March 11th 04, 10:08 PM
Casey Wilson

My apologies for coming in late, if this has already been mentioned. How
about a chandelle or wing-over?
http://www.skyjackmotorsports.com/IAC24/aresti.html

Old March 12th 04, 08:43 AM
Brian Burger

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Casey Wilson wrote:

My apologies for coming in late, if this has already been mentioned. How
about a chandelle or wing-over?
http://www.skyjackmotorsports.com/IAC24/aresti.html

Cool Aresti diagrams, but... if you're really, honestly in need of a
canyon turn, you're unlikely to have the excess airspeed you need to pull
a wingover or chandelle off, and if you're turning away from rising
terrain you might not have the altitude needed to trade for the needed
airspeed either...

Sparky Imeson's "Mountain Flying Bible" points this out at least three
times; he's in favour of the 60-degree bank, with flaps up to full as
appropriate, and power as needed. Personally, doing these turns in a 172N
starting at ~80 KIAS, I've gotten the plane turned around inside the long
dimension of a high school running track that was below us - that's about
200-250ft, give or take.

Let me just throw out a plug for Mr. Imeson's great book, while I'm at it.
I've only had my copy of the "Mountain Flying Bible" for six months, but
it's already got a well-thumbed look to it. I keep my copy on the kitchen
table, and review bits and pieces when I've got a spare five minutes, in
addition to more regular reviews. (http://www.mountainflying.com/ is his
website; Amazon has his books too.)

Brian - PP-ASEL/Night -
Old March 11th 04, 03:29 PM
David

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:47:43 GMT, Robert Moore
wrote:

"Marc Lattoni" wrote

Today we did canyon turns, not at 30, not at 45 but more than 45
degrees. Sort of standing the airplane on its wingtip as we turn.

Yep! We fought this battle for about two weeks last year.
There were two groups, one was the slow down and use flaps
with a shallow angle of bank and the other group (me) quoting
the aerodynamic textbook solution of flying at maneuver speed
and using about 75 degrees angle-of-bank.

Quoting from "Aerodynamics For Naval Aviators":

"The aerodynamic limit of turn radius requires that increased
velocity be utilized to produce increasing load factors and
greater angles of bank"

"The maneuver speed is the minimum speed necessary to develop
aerodynamically the limit load factor and it produces the
minimum turn radius within aerodynamic and structural limits."

Bob Moore

I have been taught two ways of making Canyon Turns.
In New Zealand I was shown a maximum performance turn. First make a
note of horizontal references then roll over 60deg, applying full
power and pull hard on elevator with both hands. The stall warning
goes off all time. It works well but I could not pull hard enough to
get stall warning to operate (C172).

The alternative way was shown to me in the USA.
Apparently called a Texas Turn, this involved reducing throttle to
idle then pitch up until in 'White Arc'. Immediately apply full flap
then full power then full rudder. Some pull on elevator but
controlling airspeed.

The former causes lots of 'G' whilst the latter has almost no 'G' and
you turn in about one wingspan, very impressive.

It has been suggested that the latter could induce a spin. I've not
had anybody confirm but it appears to be something like a 'Wingover'
maneuver but I'm not into aerobatics! Any comments?

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot